Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2018, 08:28 PM   #1
goingcrazy
Registered Member

Corals dying

here in Georgia we had a hurricane Irma and I lost all my corals do to losing power and when power came on I lost one light and the return pump.

i went ahead and removed the old sand clean the rocks with a lot of tap water clean the tank to start over since i was having issues lowering the nitrate in my tank.

basically i started over. The issue I am having now is that every corral that I add to my tank not life. for example, frag of monti bleach in 24 hours, acopora white in 24 hours, zoas wont open, Duncan head wont open but fishes are fine. Any help on what could be please let me know my name here said it all. Also all the water parameters are good. i have taken the water to different places to get tested and all parameters good

goingcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 08:57 PM   #2
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Yep. I would remove all the corals immediately because I don't think you can save them. The dying corals could release toxins in your tank if you leave them in there they could kill your fish.
Get a bag of carbon and put it in your sock. I would also get a reactor with some sugar pellets to get ( or keep) the nitrates down.
Keep a close eye on your fish. Have some Ammonia X on standby if your tank develops a spike. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some kick start bacteria to your tank since you replaced a lot in it. Instant Ocean Bio Spira has some. Google them.
Wait a few months before adding anything, after that you can add corals again one at a time.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 12:10 AM   #3
goingcrazy
Registered Member

Thank you Monkeysee1. I added two bottles of the bio Spira before I added any fishes in the my 90 gallon after adding the new sand and water. Then I added two days later the 2 clown fish. Waited couples of days and added my wrase fish and then the following week I added one yellow tang and by the next Monday I added the other three fishes. But if I put a snail it will died, some of the crab fish still alive.

What the carbon will do to my tank?

Unread 02/06/2018, 05:34 AM   #4
heathlindner25
Moved On

Maybe when you cleaned the rocks you added copper to the system? I would try a polyfilter.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 07:41 AM   #5
crawlerman
Registered Member

The carbon will help clean any toxins the dying corals released when it crashed. my guess is those toxins seeped into your rock and are now in the water. A polyfilter is a good idea as well. If there is some kind of metal in the water it will change colors to let you know. Buy better quality carbon, they say the cheap carbon can cause HLLE.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 10:56 PM   #6
goingcrazy
Registered Member

Coral Dying

I found out my issue. I guess I used a brass fitting on my return pump after the hurricane. I removed the fitting and replaced it with a pvc one.

I have been running Red Sea activated carbon now for a month but no success. Corals still dying. I also added a reactor running activated carbon now for 2 weeks.

How long will it take to remove the contamination from the tank?
What you guys suggest? Also I order the poly filter should arrive Tuesday and also will add that. Where should I place the poly filter!

Thank you for all your help.

Unread 09/24/2018, 06:47 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It can be difficult to remove copper from a tank..
A polyfilter placed anywhere that it gets a decent flow of water across it along with water changes is a good start..
A copper test kit would be helpful too..

In the end depending on the level of contamination you may need to scrap all the sand/rock and start it over..

Unread 09/24/2018, 09:05 AM   #8
goingcrazy
Registered Member

I hope I don’t have to buy new rock cause I paid $7.99 for pound and it came out really nice. If this happen that I cannot get it right I guess this hobby will end for me. 😔😔