Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2014, 09:02 PM   #976
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch4 View Post
The Power outage in ontario wreaked some havoc, were restocking his fish now, Multiple Tanks but Purple Tang Helfrich Fire Fish and other beauties are in his tanks again
You're saying you're working on hcrk's tanks?
Pics???

Unread 03/23/2014, 11:32 PM   #977
Dutch4
Registered Member

I sell fish.. Ive never seen his tank in person. I couldnt get him to buy any moyers dragonets tho says they dont live the long life hes looking for

Dutch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 07:28 AM   #978
Osama
Registered Member

Looking forward to your future posting. Very Impressive history

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef DT 500 Gallons
Osama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 04:58 PM   #979
hcrk
Registered Member

23 Years of Continuous Operation!

Well folks, would you believe that this aquarium has now been in continuous operation for 23 years now (that is since 1997).
I’ve spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.
Wondering whether there is anyone out there who actually remembers this thread started in 2003

hcrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 05:02 PM   #980
monty
Registered Member

Wow, that’s great to hear! Talk about commitment, kudos to you! I remember this thread when it started and I enjoyed watching the progress. Looking forward to your posts!

monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 06:05 PM   #981
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrk View Post
Well folks, would you believe that this aquarium has now been in continuous operation for 23 years now (that is since 1997).
I’ve spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.
Wondering whether there is anyone out there who actually remembers this thread started in 2003
very nice! congrats!

how about an updated picture?

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 08:05 PM   #982
cseeton
Registered Member

Wow! I haven't gotten an email from Reef Central in years and then this pops up - I both remember this thread and am looking forward to an update!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

cseeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 08:18 PM   #983
llebcire
Registered Member

Quote:
I do remember!

I joined in fall 2003 and remember this thread. That’s a long time to stay committed to your tank!

-Eric

llebcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2020, 12:35 AM   #984
karm40
Registered Member

Great to hear. I've been around since then! Tore my tank down in November after 20 years!

karm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2020, 06:14 AM   #985
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
I do recollect. (This being my second profile, after the first was lost due to forgetting the password and my e-mail account being reclaimed by the pay-for-services ISP.)
It's nice to see a system in continuous operation for so long.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2020, 12:27 PM   #986
hcrk
Registered Member

Misc. Insights Based on my Experience with this Reef Aquarium

Thought it may be useful to communicate some insights based on my experience in dealing with this one reef for 23 years:
For example:

On the issue of durability, the fact is that I have been using and continue to use 5 Iwaki pumps (with Japanese manufactured motors) on my system..
Incredibly, 4 of the pumps have never been taken off-line and have been working nonstop (24 hours a day) for 23 years.
When I recently noted that the amount of flow being produced by the fifth pump was limited, I took it off line, opened it up and cleaned it. What I discovered was that a small round rubber washer was obstructing flow. Other than that, the unit was absolutely perfect.
In this day and age with disposable everything‘s, this is just amazing to me.
Frankly, I don’t know if the Iwaki pumps that are currently available are being manufactured with the same Quality of work and materials. However, if I were to buy another pump it would definitely be one of these.

On the issue of the longevity of fish in my aquarium, the fact is that I actually still have a couple of fish that have been in this reef tank for in excess of 20 years, including, one convict tang and two blue Chromis. I also have a number of other fish that have been with me for 15 or more years including an assortment of tangs.

On the issue of disease and, specifically ich, The fact is that I have experienced a couple of outbreaks of ich over the past 23 years and I’ve tried several remedies. Nothing really worked all that well and noticing, that the fish we’re not actually very bothered by the ich, I finally just left it alone. It disappeared over time, and I haven’t seen any ich for several years.

hcrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2020, 07:57 PM   #987
Tommyc
Registered Member

It was a pleasure to see this notification today. Like others, I haven't been here in years, but I'd love to learn more about how the tank is doing.

Unread 06/02/2020, 06:17 PM   #988
biodegraded
Registered Member

Wow, a ghost from the past! Thanks indeed for checking in after all these years, hcrk. We look forward to current photos.

biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2020, 11:43 PM   #989
dochou
Registered Member

So great to hear from @hcrk.
Can't wait to see some updated pictures!

dochou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2020, 09:33 PM   #990
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Congrat

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2021, 10:42 PM   #991
biodegraded
Registered Member

So ...
It's March 2021. Still waiting for the pictures.

biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2021, 08:50 AM   #992
Whitten
Registered Member

Hey HCRK, given the horrid conditions in Austin two weeks ago, I am hoping that all of your hard work and prep paid off and you were able to keep the reef intact and stay warm yourself.

Current Tank Info: My Wife drains my account
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 07:08 PM   #993
FireFighterBill
Registered Member

hcrk
I have been following your thread since 2004. I was away from the reef world for a while. When I decided to look at some reef stuff, your tank was the only one I wanted to look at. Love your tank and your reef room.

FireFighterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 11:03 PM   #994
FireFighterBill
Registered Member

Just reread the entire thread again. hcrk, have you upgraded any of the systems with modern technology that wasn't available when you started? My particular thoughts for upgrades are centered on lighting . There have been huge advancements in LEDs and very specific wavelengths of other lights are available now. Any upgrading or thoughts of upgrading your tank lighting?

FireFighterBill is offline   Reply With Quote