Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2019, 11:27 AM   #1
saltyguy
Registered Member

Macroalgae

Hello! It has been a long time since I have been on here. I set up a new aquarium and it has been Lance Armstrong (cycling) for 5 weeks now. I still need to do the first water change but I am not putting fish in till the new year. I am getting ideas of how I want to decorate the display tank. I was thinking of doing a Macroalgae display. Has anyone done this or have you known someone who has? I was thinking of mangroves but that’s really all I know of except chaeto. I don’t want chaeto in the display. I also want Tang fish so is there an algae that they don’t eat? Oh! I have a 125 gallon aquarium with a 55 gallon sump.

saltyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds like a great tank idea! I'm doing something similar. My thread "Weeds" could be helpful: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678002

Most tangs will eat most macros. The Ctenochaetus tangs, like Cole and Tomini have mouths made for detritus consumption, so they'd be your best bet.

Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Yep,
Just about everything eats the delicate expensive macros including many fish,snails, & hermits, been there done that & for what you pay the macro algae is totally rediculess in size & amount one receives + shipping. I had several interesting ones & all were eaten up in less then a week, ill never go that rout again total waste of $$$. I have cheato in my display and it keeps red cyano in check & is growing nice & dark green & looks natural like a reef should. If i ever to mess with macro algae it would have to be a speciality tank or a fuge period.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Why all the negativity towards macros?

Macro tanks are very different from reef tanks. And just as you wouldn't fill a reef tank with butterfly fish, in a macro tank you would also avoid certain fish, like tangs. They are not a waste of money if you've done some research and you know what you're doing. Throwing macros into a reef tank is a formula for failure, just as throwing corals into a macro tank would be.

Sure, macros can be challenging. Isn't that what this hobby is all about?

Unread 12/10/2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I said it would have to be a macro only speciality tank.
I was just explaining my exp. with macros, and what happened. I don't miss them at all if i even had them it would be as an additional nutrition source for all my inhabitants but i don't want to setup a macro only tank just to grow them out from expensive micro frag plugs, more work & i don't have the space for it.
They are interesting plants and as an additional food source everything loves them, just wish they came cheaper & in larger amounts is all.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 08:31 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There are numerous macros that tangs won't eat..
Ive had good experiences buying macros off eBay... Small pieces/bunches but cheap and they grow fast given the right conditions..

Reefcleaners often has cheap/penny macro deals..
Liveplants has quite a bit of algae to choose from..

I really like macro tanks.. Go for it

Unread 12/10/2019, 08:47 PM   #7
saltyguy
Registered Member

Well what about Mangroves? I was researching and couldn’t find out if Tangs eat those. I think I will grow some macro in the sump as a food source for the Tangs. I also have right now some chaeto in my sump.

saltyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 10:32 PM   #8
reefer1970
Registered Member

No, they will not eat mangroves. They will eat most of the prettier macro in the display though. I grow codium in my sump because it doesn’t get invasive if it gets Into the display. It’s not the best looking macro for a display but look it up and message me if you want to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a recent pic of my seagrasses, macros and mangroves. The fish are Tuxedo Damsels (black and white), and Allen's Damsels (blue).