Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Terry C
Registered Member

Need Advice on a pump and skimmer

Hello, I'm just getting back into the hobby after several years off. Wow have things changed. I have couple questions. I am getting ready to set up a 55 gallon tank. I'm still buying everything to get it up and running. I just ordered 30L x 10W x 14H Bashsea Bio-Fuge Sump; that I am adding to the tank, the tank does have a built in overflow. Hopefully with this information you can give me recommendations.

Question 1.) How many gph on a return pump will I need? I'm looking for one that is quiet and energy efficient.

Question 2.) What type of skimmer would you recommend? Also would like quiet and energy efficient.

I'm not on a tight budget but, I don't want to break the bank either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing research on all this equipment and my mind is boggled with all the new latest and greatest.

Terry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
Hello, I'm just getting back into the hobby after several years off. Wow have things changed. I have couple questions. I am getting ready to set up a 55 gallon tank. I'm still buying everything to get it up and running. I just ordered 30L x 10W x 14H Bashsea Bio-Fuge Sump; that I am adding to the tank, the tank does have a built in overflow. Hopefully with this information you can give me recommendations.

Question 1.) How many gph on a return pump will I need? I'm looking for one that is quiet and energy efficient.

Question 2.) What type of skimmer would you recommend? Also would like quiet and energy efficient.

I'm not on a tight budget but, I don't want to break the bank either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing research on all this equipment and my mind is boggled with all the new latest and greatest.
For GPH of pump, it's pretty much based on how much flow you want, plus size/distance of piping. With a sump, you probably only need it pumping 600 to 800 gph. A controllable pump is quite helpful as you can overbuild it and just reduce the power. Then you use powerheads to add flow in your DT.
As far as brands go though, I've got a Jaebo (my 2nd one) that's worked quite well for over a year. Just make sure if you go with that brand you get the most recent model, and double check recent reviews. But it's probably the best price point if your on a tight budget.

I've got a SCA skimmer, which for the price has done fine for me. Some recommend to over build your skimmer too. So for a 55 gallon, plus your sump volume, something rated for a 150 to 200 gallon should work well. Bulkreefsupply has a lot of different brands and you can compare price/reviews/features.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 01:15 PM   #3
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

For something quiet and energy efficient you should look at dc pumps.

The jeabo dcp or whatever the newest pump is has served me well for the last 2 year.

The simplicity line is basically the same as the jeabo but comes with a warranty (that you can actually use unlike jeabo) and their customer service has been great when I had an issue with my skimmer.

The simplicity 1600 would work, its more power than you'll probably need but I'd rather run a DC pump slower that run it at full speed

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...-pump-1-600gph

The simplicity skimmers are good too, but also check out reef octopus those are the only 2 I've used. I've heard good things on the bubble magus as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Terry C
Registered Member

Thank you

Thank you Thornbreaker & ryeguyy84. I'll do some research on those recommendations. I now have somewhere to start.

What are your thoughts on a 48" Fluval Sea for lighting? Later on down the line would those lights sustain soft corals and an anemone? I won't be doing any LPS or SPS corals.

Unread 12/03/2019, 03:30 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Return pump is commonly sized at 3 to 10x display tank volume in GPH after head losses..
So for a 55G tank thats 165 to 550 GPH after head loss..

I too would recommend a Jebao DCP (5000 should be just fine)..
And a Bubble Magus Curve 5 would make a great skimmer.. Or the Simplicity as already recommended

Unread 12/03/2019, 09:06 PM   #6
wilsonline
Registered Member

I`m a beginner as well. And even tho I have skimmer and return pump I want to get new ones. Why? DC! So IMO dc pumps are the way to go, both for skimmers and return, for everything you can. And why DC? Because they`re much quieter and efficient. My return pump uses 70 watts and my skimmer pump 91 watts. I think it`s possible to drop that down to 60 watts total with DC pumps, maybe less.
So, for now I'm considering a jebao/simplicity pump or one of those more expensive like a neptune or what ever. But only if I find a great deal, other than that, I will have to go with a jebao. I was looking for the skimz but it's not on sale anymore. yeah, I should have bought that thing and a cor 20 but then Thats over 600 dollar and I just bought a ton of stuff.

wilsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 09:19 AM   #7
cbourg
Registered Member

I have a asm skimmer with modded gate valve for sale (footprint because of the needle wheel pump requires space ...not compact)

I also have a Poseidon ps2 in-line pump (quietest pump I ever owned)

Let me know if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 12:09 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonline View Post
I`m a beginner as well. And even tho I have skimmer and return pump I want to get new ones. Why? DC! So IMO dc pumps are the way to go, both for skimmers and return, for everything you can. And why DC? Because they`re much quieter and efficient. My return pump uses 70 watts and my skimmer pump 91 watts. I think it`s possible to drop that down to 60 watts total with DC pumps, maybe less.
So, for now I'm considering a jebao/simplicity pump or one of those more expensive like a neptune or what ever. But only if I find a great deal, other than that, I will have to go with a jebao. I was looking for the skimz but it's not on sale anymore. yeah, I should have bought that thing and a cor 20 but then Thats over 600 dollar and I just bought a ton of stuff.
Don't forget to actually calculate ROI..
"IF" (big if) you get that ~100W reduction thats about $100 a year savings..
Your ROI may be 3 years before you start saving any money.. assuming $300 for pump/skimmer

Unread 12/04/2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Terry C
Registered Member

Thank you mcgyvr

Current Tank Info: Just starting a 55 gallon, with live rock. Refugium is 30L x 10w x 14H for now. Lighting is (2) AI PRIME 16 HD LED REEF LIGHT
Unread 12/04/2019, 07:10 PM   #10
Terry C
Registered Member

Thank you wilsonline!

Current Tank Info: Just starting a 55 gallon, with live rock. Refugium is 30L x 10w x 14H for now. Lighting is (2) AI PRIME 16 HD LED REEF LIGHT
Unread 12/04/2019, 09:35 PM   #11
tomreefer
Registered Member

I have a Deltec Skimmer this is a beast and customer service is awesome.

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 09:47 PM   #12
five.five-six
Registered Member

I would recommend avoiding Jeabo for the return pump. They do work fine but my jeabo skimmer pump is already having the power coward becoming brittle where it was exposed to water. I also hade a jeabo UV sterilizer where they forgot to use UV resistant plastic and it decomposed and dumps toxic plastic particles and killed better than 1/2 my SPS over the course of 3 months before I figured it out.

Most people have positive experiences with Jeabo but there is a significant risk.

Return pump failure can be a tank killer.

I wouldn’t save too much money there.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 09:49 PM   #13
tomreefer
Registered Member

I have a Jeabo for 3 years and no issues..

Unread 12/06/2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Terry C
Registered Member

Thank You tomreefer, I'll check out the Deltec skimmer. See if the dimensions will fit my sump.

Unread 12/06/2019, 07:10 AM   #15
Terry C
Registered Member

Thank you five.five-six, duly noted.

Unread 12/07/2019, 03:05 PM   #16
Sk8r
RC Mod

As I remember, I used a mag-9 pump on my 55: never fear to throttle a pump down a little with a valve---same for the pump as having just a bit more rise to reach the tank. That way you can fine-tune your flow to exactly what you like. Don't go crazy with the valve-down, but I like to shoot for a little more gph than I probably need.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 09:41 AM   #17
Terry C
Registered Member

So obviously, I did NOT research the bashsea sump well enough. It turns out where the return pump goes is only a 5" X 5" space. NOW I need new pump recommendations for such a small space. Seriously considering taking out the divider in the sump so I can use a bigger pump.

Any thoughts?

Unread 12/08/2019, 08:04 PM   #18
Terry C
Registered Member

Hi Ryeguyy, I liked your recommendation of the simplicity 1600 return pump. BUT, I received my Bashsea sump and the space for the return pump is only 5" x 5". I guess when I was researching I didn't pay attention to that detail. Any recommendations on a smaller quiet energy efficient return pump?

I'm thinking about taking out the partition, where the sponge filter goes so I can do a larger return pump.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
For something quiet and energy efficient you should look at dc pumps.

The jeabo dcp or whatever the newest pump is has served me well for the last 2 year.

The simplicity line is basically the same as the jeabo but comes with a warranty (that you can actually use unlike jeabo) and their customer service has been great when I had an issue with my skimmer.

The simplicity 1600 would work, its more power than you'll probably need but I'd rather run a DC pump slower that run it at full speed

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...-pump-1-600gph

The simplicity skimmers are good too, but also check out reef octopus those are the only 2 I've used. I've heard good things on the bubble magus as well.

Unread 12/08/2019, 08:27 PM   #19
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
Hi Ryeguyy, I liked your recommendation of the simplicity 1600 return pump. BUT, I received my Bashsea sump and the space for the return pump is only 5" x 5". I guess when I was researching I didn't pay attention to that detail. Any recommendations on a smaller quiet energy efficient return pump?

I'm thinking about taking out the partition, where the sponge filter goes so I can do a larger return pump.

Any thoughts?
Sicce 2.0 or 3.0?

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...0-pump-568-gph

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 09:35 AM   #20
Terry C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
Sicce 2.0 or 3.0?

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...0-pump-568-gph

That is awesome!! Thank you!!!

Unread 12/17/2019, 07:07 AM   #21
cbourg
Registered Member

Can you drilled the end of the sump and put an in-line pump?

cbourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2019, 07:21 AM   #22
Terry C
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourg View Post
Can you drilled the end of the sump and put an in-line pump?

Thank you for the suggestion, I didn't even think of that. But, I've already bought a pump that fits in the sump.

Unread 12/29/2019, 08:50 PM   #23
tomreefer
Registered Member

Jebao pumps had a bad reputation but they improved a lot. I had the Jebao DCP-6500 with no issues and our cheap.