Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 07:36 PM   #1
JWGarber
Registered Member

Thumbs up Fibaro Flood Sensor works with Apex

Just wanted to toss this out there.

I have heavily integrated my apex with my smartthings and amazon echo and I wanted a flood sensor for my apex.
I found the Fibaro Flood Sensor

The Fibaro can be powered by a 12v dc adapter and has additional sensors and alarm outputs. The alarm output connects to the BOB to tell Apex when water is detected.

So now when mine detects water on any sensor apex shuts down the skimmer, reactor, return, and sounds its alarm and sends emails. The home automation side also sends an off command to each of those pumps, sounds a home alarm siren, turns on lights and sends text messages to our phones.

So we definitely know if water is in the bottom of the tank stand.

Just thought I'd share what I found. the sensor works with the apex bob and is zwave compatible for those who have home automation.

JWGarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Atomic081
Registered Member

Im building a new tank (750g) and a new house and going to install the smarthing and its equipment through the house. Wasn't going to use a apex, but might use some of the smart things abilities for the tank. Any recommendations?

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 12:21 PM   #3
JWGarber
Registered Member

Apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
Im building a new tank (750g) and a new house and going to install the smarthing and its equipment through the house. Wasn't going to use a apex, but might use some of the smart things abilities for the tank. Any recommendations?
I would still go for an Apex unit as well.

I could have managed my tank strictly with zwave equipment using controlled outlets and sensors etc. However by the time you had it all done, it would cost more than an Apex which is specifically designed for the tank and you have no redundancy.

Because I had an Apex already, I integrated Apex into my Smart Things which in turn allowed me to control things via voice through my Amazon Echo as well as integrate zwave equipment into.

So just the best of both worlds. My ideal setup would to be have each pump in the sump plugged into a zwave module which is plugged into an apex outlet. So if the apex decided not to listen to an on/off command, smart things would back it up by turning the outlet on/off as commanded.

So a really redundant system is in place to ensure things operate as expected.

Unread 03/18/2018, 06:36 AM   #4
rocsec1
Registered Member

I have two ald sensors and would s5ay with the apex gear. I realized that other sensors will work but the ald sensors are easy to use and I have enough going on that easy is nice.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 10:35 AM   #5
JWGarber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
I have two ald sensors and would s5ay with the apex gear. I realized that other sensors will work but the ald sensors are easy to use and I have enough going on that easy is nice.
In my case the ALD and sensors would cost considerably more. As I have a system consisting of apex and zwave/zigbee. The logical and most flexible choice was the Fibaro Flood Sensor.

So the information here is posted for others who have a similar setup, the Fibaro could very well be a better choice for the cost and flexible options it provides.

This whole thread was brought about because in my own stupidity, I caused quite a flood about 4 days back. I never put any sensors or safety systems in place on the skimmer pump because it is an in sump skimmer. I figured if the cup overflowed, it would go right into the sump and it isn't likely to happen. Why would the skimmer all the sudden go rogue when I have had it tuned in for some time.

Well, I decided to adjust the skimmer outlet a bit the other night, monitored it for about an hour then went to bed. BIG MISTAKE... skimmer went rogue, overflowed the cup, but in turn overflowed the collection container which happily dumped the overflow right into the floor of the stand!

This also triggered the ATO to refill fresh water from its 5 gallon reservoir as well!!

I had absolutely 0 protection in place for water in the collection jug. Oh sure, I drilled a hole in the very top to mount a float sensor, never mounted the damn thing because I didn't have any quick connects to use for plugging/unplugging when emptying the jug. Its a 5 gallon jug and I was over confident in the skimmer behaving itself.

I did build a lot of redundancy into the other parts though.

Right now my display has two floats that control the return pump.
1. A shielded and enclosed float hooks directly to a relay box that kills the pump when tripped.
2. A second high float hooked to the apex BOB that kills the outlet controlling the pump and relay when tripped.

So there is redundancy there without using any zwave equipment. If the physical relay fails to cut power and high float trips, apex is told to cut power.
I could technically add a zwave outlet there too for a 3rd system that can cut power but that may be over kill.

The refugium also has a high sensor that when tripped cuts the return pump just in case it tries to overflow.

The ATO has a low and high sensor so if low fails to trip indicating ATO is finished, the high will trip and stop the ATO process.

So now after the great flood of 2018, my stand has water sensors in place and will shut down everything if water is detected. I am also wiring a quick connector the skimmer jug for a float switch so I can kill the skimmer pump if it ever gets full again & still be able to easily disconnect the jug to empty and clean it.

just another lesson learned in this hobby.

Tags
alexa, apex, bob, flood, water