Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2018, 07:46 PM   #26
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumptyDumpty View Post
Do you run the two on separate return lines or two connected two a "Y" with check valves?

I have two separate return lines. One pump feeds a return on the right side of the tank and one feeds a return on the left side of the tank.

If you’re starting from scratch then it’s not too much extra work to put in the extra plumbing. If you’re trying to retrofit then I think a single return line with check valves would be an acceptable option. I’ve never been a fan of check valves, but in this case you aren’t relying on them to keep something from flooding... if one failed and started to leak a bit the worst that would happen is that you would lose a bit of efficiency if one of your return pumps failed as well.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 08:44 PM   #27
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
I have two separate return lines. One pump feeds a return on the right side of the tank and one feeds a return on the left side of the tank.

If you’re starting from scratch then it’s not too much extra work to put in the extra plumbing. If you’re trying to retrofit then I think a single return line with check valves would be an acceptable option. I’ve never been a fan of check valves, but in this case you aren’t relying on them to keep something from flooding... if one failed and started to leak a bit the worst that would happen is that you would lose a bit of efficiency if one of your return pumps failed as well.
Thanks for the reply.

How are your pumps keeping from siphoning backwards?
I'm probably overlooking something simple here.

It may depend on where the returns are buried under the surface of the water.
In my case, the return would vortex a tornado swirl if I did not get low enough.

A high return line near the water line was doing too much "goal-tending" and kicking away detritus from the overflow weir grates.

Peninsula builds mostly have returns near the weir.
Wide long builds sometimes have the returns far away from the inlet water near the weir.

I'm personally going for a peninsula build in the future.

Do tell.
I'm stumped.

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 08:50 PM   #28
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

How are your pumps keeping from siphoning backwards?

I'm probably overlooking something simple here.

It may depend on where the returns are buried under the surface of the water.

In my case, the return would vortex a tornado swirl if I did not get low enough.

A high return line near the water line was doing too much "goal-tending" and kicking away detritus from the overflow weir grates.

Peninsula builds mostly have returns near the weir.

Wide long builds sometimes have the returns far away from the inlet water near the weir.

I'm personally going for a peninsula build in the future.

Do tell.

I'm stumped.

My returns are near the top... maybe two inches below the water line and pointed down and across the tank at about a 45 degree angle. I have an anti siphon hole drilled just above the water line to keep them from siphoning water out when the return pumps are off.

Unread 03/18/2018, 09:08 PM   #29
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
My returns are near the top... maybe two inches below the water line and pointed down and across the tank at about a 45 degree angle. I have an anti siphon hole drilled just above the water line to keep them from siphoning water out when the return pumps are off.
Thanks.
I will have to look into that anti-siphon method.

Another question:
I think it's possible to have a Bean-Animal 3 hole running and have everything silently adjusted, but then there is a question.
Using check valves or without, can I turn off one of the two pumps for a low flow feed mode and still return to the adjusted silent ratio/harmony that was once found before the feed mode (the 70% pump off)?

I'd estimate one return pump ran at 30% and the 2nd (feed mode pump) return pump ran at 70%.

Even a 50% to 50% ratio of the two pumps would be ok with me, but I'm brainstorming.

I'm not sure if you have experienced adjusted levels coming back to where they were adjusted before.

Unread 03/19/2018, 09:54 AM   #30
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I will have to look into that anti-siphon method.

Another question:

I think it's possible to have a Bean-Animal 3 hole running and have everything silently adjusted, but then there is a question.

Using check valves or without, can I turn off one of the two pumps for a low flow feed mode and still return to the adjusted silent ratio/harmony that was once found before the feed mode (the 70% pump off)?

I'd estimate one return pump ran at 30% and the 2nd (feed mode pump) return pump ran at 70%.

Even a 50% to 50% ratio of the two pumps would be ok with me, but I'm brainstorming.

I'm not sure if you have experienced adjusted levels coming back to where they were adjusted before.

Once the bean animal drain is properly adjusted then it will return to the proper silent ratio/harmony when the original flow rate is resumed. It doesn’t matter if you have one pump or two pumps or check valves or what rate they are running at. The bean animal drain is tuned for a specific flow rate and as long as that flow rate is happening then it will be silent.

Do note that the drain likely won’t be silent while the pumps are in feed mode as the flow rate will be drastically reduced. But that is a function of the bean animal drain and has nothing to do with the number of pumps you are running. Once the original flow rate is restored then it will be silent again.

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:37 AM   #31
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Once the bean animal drain is properly adjusted then it will return to the proper silent ratio/harmony when the original flow rate is resumed.
Do note that the drain likely won’t be silent while the pumps are in feed mode as the flow rate will be drastically reduced.
Thank you Brett.