Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2019, 02:50 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Damaged tank corner - is this still usable?

I accidentally bumped the tank with another tank. Little damage to the other tank as well but I filled it in the tub and it didn’t leak. Here’s the tank:
IMG_0877.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

That one big chip that seems to dish clear through is a worry. If you have no good choice, my advice would be to get a water alarm and set it on the carpet under the tank. Failure often starts with a little drip. You might also glue the thing while it's dry. Understand, you will be taking a chance with your floor, which can be damage far exceeding the value of a tank. You could recoup a little cost by selling it as a dryland tank, ie, lizards or hampsters or the like, and getting a new one that doesn't have reason to worry.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

That's a good question you have,
Its apples or Pears probably as it is external on a corner doubtful it effects the silicone adhesive internally but is unsightly. Id say IF you filled it for a week & it didn't leak 1 drop then your fine, just turn the chipped edge to the back so it does not show.
As we all know a LOT of time is involved in maturing a Reef tank so trust in your tank is utmost that is why i said a week min on a leak test. You don't want heartache down the rd midway of maturing. Better where its at tho then say a corner edge or bottom.
One more thing, after a test if all is well you could also add additional corners siliconed over the back edges to fortify the edges for additional pc of mind.
Otherwise if you see any leaking or sealant peeling inside id dump it or only use it for raising pods etc...

Dave

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2019, 08:36 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
I accidentally bumped the tank with another tank. Little damage to the other tank as well but I filled it in the tub and it didn’t leak. Here’s the tank:
Attachment 404074

How much did the tank cost?
Cheers! Mark

Unread 10/19/2019, 12:24 AM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddi0 View Post
how much did the tank cost?
Cheers! Mark
$100

Unread 10/19/2019, 05:49 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

New tanks are CHEAP compared to the potential cost of water damage..

That picture is a bit difficult for me to interpret but I think it looks like that tank is a goner.. A few pictures from different angles may make me change that answer..

Unread 10/19/2019, 07:24 AM   #7
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
$100
I would toss it out!
Cheers! Mark

Unread 10/19/2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

For only a $100 expenditure ive changed my mind already also, id use it for something else still worth a water test tho might still be a great pod raising tank or something.

Dave

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 04:53 PM   #9
nano427
Registered Member

I agree with everybody else here, and wouldn’t use it. The loss of livestock or damage to your house will be far greater than the $100 tank if it fails.

nano427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 09:54 PM   #10
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
New tanks are CHEAP compared to the potential cost of water damage..

That picture is a bit difficult for me to interpret but I think it looks like that tank is a goner.. A few pictures from different angles may make me change that answer..
Yeah. I’m going to replace it. I uploaded this hoping that I would hear otherwise but expected that. Water damage is not something I want to risk.

Unread 10/20/2019, 08:56 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

That damage looks like it is just cosmetic on the outside of the edge and not going to the seal. If that is the case then this damage should not affect the tank's ability to hold water in any way. I have tanks like that running and no issues.
And if you don't want to use it as a display tank because it isn't really nice looking, then it's definitely still fine as a sump or for mixing saltwater.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2019, 10:59 AM   #12
clevername
Registered Member

id 100% use that. its on the outside

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2019, 08:49 PM   #13
kgnickl
Registered Member

I would not use that tank. The bottom part looks pretty bad.

kgnickl is offline   Reply With Quote