Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2017, 08:55 PM   #1
smallreef
Registered Member

Zoanthids - some getting smaller, some die off - suggestions?

I started a Nuvo 20 several months back. Mixed Reef with soft corals, some SPS and some LPS.

I have around 20 different kinds of zoas all were doing great and growing quickly. Example had a 2 polyp Utter chaos within 6-8 weeks now 8 polyps.

Last couple weeks some colonies closed up, have had some die off, some have gotten smaller and some the heads are mis-shaped and look unhappy, unresponsive to touch etc.

I started using Kalk on July 1st, have never used it in 17+ years I've kept reefs, always used 2 part. I started very low dose and have been raising it slowly since July and sometimes supplementing 2 part during the week as well when I test. I am up to around 1 tsp per gallon in the ATO as of now, which loses around .25 DKH a day. There definitely have been ALk swings throughout the week since I started but usually slowly goes down during the week whereas 9.5DKH after a water change might be 8 a week later.

Other than that salinity 1.26, some carbon, ghost skimmer. I change around 5 gallons a week as its a newer tank, might go down to 3 or 4 gallons / week after tank reaches 6-8 months. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong, have kept reef tanks on and off for many years. 2 clownfish and a clown goby.

Any suggestions?

smallreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 08:57 PM   #2
smallreef
Registered Member

also no pests, no amphipods in the tank, no nudi's, spiders, etc. Out of the 20 something colonies most are zoos, some are paly's. the issues are with both.

Unread 08/23/2017, 09:01 PM   #3
smallreef
Registered Member

lighting AI prime (not HD) 80% power on 20K. I started the tank at 60% and raised to 80% of last 3-4 months.

Unread 08/23/2017, 10:54 PM   #4
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Why so high?

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 11:38 PM   #5
smallreef
Registered Member

80% on 20K is 20 watts