Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2009, 02:28 PM   #101
fishypets
Registered Member

Rouselb-

Would it be a safe assumption to say if the water level is around 7" I should screw the water intake in all the way if my skimmate is too wet? My sump was designed for a Deltec and haven't modified it yet. But I just can't seem to get a drier skimmate no matter how I adjust the air intake.

fishypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 04:13 PM   #102
buck50bmg
Moved On

Just got mine!!!!! 300 External....

Check it out!

http://www.buckley1.com/iWeb/Site/Bubbleking%20300.html

buck50bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 06:41 PM   #103
bmilleraz
Registered Member

What water level height are you running yours at? My water line comes up to the line (essentially where the cone starts) Seems like you are running yours lower than the recommendations? Is this true?

My skim is definitely not that dark.

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
SM250 update - still going strong - this is one week's worth

bmilleraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:06 PM   #104
xinumaster
reef addict

How did you got that skimmer in there?

Current Tank Info: 375g tank 8'x30"x30"
xinumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 07:27 PM   #105
bmilleraz
Registered Member

Also, I've noticed when I feed the tank, the water level inside the skimmer drops and quits skimming for awhile. This doesn't make any sense as I feed with a turkey baster, any ideas? Do I have the water level too high in the sump for the skimmer?

Unread 01/21/2009, 12:05 AM   #106
jthao
Super Saiyan

bmilleraz: I think your water level is too high. just my .02

Unread 01/21/2009, 09:08 AM   #107
bmilleraz
Registered Member

I just raised the skimmer so the water level is now about 1" below the seam where the body meets the cone. Should I raise the skimmer up more. I'm still noticing that when I feed the water level inside the skimmer drops.

Also, how many turns should the red dragon pump be open?

Unread 01/21/2009, 09:16 AM   #108
kc350twin
Registered Member

bmilleraz==== I think the issue you are experiencing is normal. It happens to all my skimmers even if I have my hands in there. Something is changing the surface tension of the water. Cyclopeze and Mysis make my skimmer drop most of the time but not always. I also use Prodibio Reef Booster and it cuts skimming for almost half a day.
Just my experience. Food for thought.

Kc3

Unread 01/21/2009, 01:40 PM   #109
jthao
Super Saiyan

the pump (ideally) should only be set to one round until the black dots line up. you can have it more or less depending on your preference.

as far as the water level, read what it says on your manual (what BK model you got??) you should usually follow the recommended water level height.

you gotta play around with it to see where exactly you should have it, I played around with mines for quite some time, I actually just raised my water level yesterday about a 1/2" to see what it would do.

Let you skimmer sit where it is now for a couple of days. then if it's still skimming we, raise it a little more (the skimmer not the water level)

Unread 01/21/2009, 03:11 PM   #110
gotfish8
Registered Member

Is any one looking at leaving the BK club, in other words selling your BK? I am looking for a 300d or SM

gotfish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2009, 04:41 PM   #111
fishypets
Registered Member

Maybe someone can help me with my issue. I have a 200S.M. in about 7 inches of water. No matter where I adjust the pipe I can not get a dark, dry foam. I end up emptying the collection cup every three days but the skimmate looks like weak tea. The tank is less than four months old and I have a total of seven fish (6 anthias and one small wrasse) which I feed every day. I've even tried allowing more water into the skimmer and it still isn't very dark. What do you guys think?

Unread 01/22/2009, 12:44 AM   #112
fishyheaven
Registered Member

so i recently purchased a used bk mini 180 from this site. I finally got it to a nice spot where i was getting some decent dry form but i just noticed tonight that when my ATO is on, the skimmer starts over (losing all fine bubbles and back to the waterline). My ATO dumps about .25 gallon into my sump (29gallon, 9 inches full of water). is this a common issue?

any help will be great! thanks,

fishyheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 01:17 AM   #113
jthao
Super Saiyan

Quote:
Originally posted by gotfish8
Is any one looking at leaving the BK club, in other words selling your BK? I am looking for a 300d or SM
usually no one sells their BK unless they're getting outta the hobby, people can't really "upgrade" once they have a BK, unless it's to a bigger BK skimmer.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishypets
Maybe someone can help me with my issue. I have a 200S.M. in about 7 inches of water. No matter where I adjust the pipe I can not get a dark, dry foam. I end up emptying the collection cup every three days but the skimmate looks like weak tea. The tank is less than four months old and I have a total of seven fish (6 anthias and one small wrasse) which I feed every day. I've even tried allowing more water into the skimmer and it still isn't very dark. What do you guys think?
I don't know how the SM work, but I can't stress enough how much of a difference my skimmer worked in different water levels in my sump. the "level" adjuster pipe doesn't work as well as adjusting the actual sump level. I've tried adjusting the pipe by moving it up/down to adjust the level in my skimmer, but in the end, adjusting the level in the sump made the biggest difference.
In your case, seems like you may have the level too high that's why the wet skim. try lowering the water level with the pipe first, if that doesn't help try lowering the level of the sump water by 1/2" increments until you get a dry thick foam. hope this helps.
From my understanding, cone skimmers (SM), have to have a lower water level than regular round skimmers.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishyheaven
so i recently purchased a used bk mini 180 from this site. I finally got it to a nice spot where i was getting some decent dry form but i just noticed tonight that when my ATO is on, the skimmer starts over (losing all fine bubbles and back to the waterline). My ATO dumps about .25 gallon into my sump (29gallon, 9 inches full of water). is this a common issue?

any help will be great! thanks,
only reason I think this may happen is that the water, RODI water, dumps too close to the skimmer pump intake, making it take in RODI water, this will make the skimmer lose it's foam.

Unread 01/22/2009, 06:19 AM   #114
fishypets
Registered Member

jthao- my sump level is actually 2 inches lower(7") than what B.K. suggest. I've turned the pipe to just about every position with the same results. With my sump level @ seven inches you still think I should lower it? Thanks for your help

Clint

Unread 01/22/2009, 06:52 AM   #115
bmilleraz
Registered Member

thank you guys for all your help. I raised the skimmer in my sump, so the water level is now about 1" to 1.5 inches below the seam where the body meets the cone (neck) on my BK 250 SM. Holy cow what a difference! It is skimming dry thick dark foam. I've never had a Nitrate problem in the past when this thing was running good, and then a few weeks back I had to go and tinker with the darn thing. Raised the water level in the sump and for the past few weeks it just hasn't been skimming properly and now I'm noticing elevated nitrate issues. Now I'm hoping since it's adjusted back to where it should be it will start lowering those levels.

Unread 01/22/2009, 08:06 AM   #116
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
jthao- my sump level is actually 2 inches lower(7") than what B.K. suggest. I've turned the pipe to just about every position with the same results. With my sump level @ seven inches you still think I should lower it? Thanks for your help

Clint
It sounds like you have something in the airline or airline nipple. Check for salt creep or if the silencer has gotten blocked or a little salt creep as well. IMO Thats why its beneficial to own a airflow meter. Then you can start to troubleshoot area's.
Also check the pump intake for adjustment. Make sure its screwed all the way in and turned out 1 revolution.
If all else fails i would lower the water .5 inches like jthao reccomended.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 09:12 AM   #117
fishypets
Registered Member

Where would I find an air flow meter?

Unread 01/22/2009, 09:31 AM   #118
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

I see them on ebay all the time. You can probably get it it cheaper there than from dwyer itself. I posted a link on prolines forum here.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 11:56 AM   #119
fishypets
Registered Member

Quick question- When I cover the air intake with my finger should the water in the skimmer rise or drop? Mine drops and I thought I remember reading where it should rise. Would this indicate a blockage?

Unread 01/22/2009, 12:28 PM   #120
bmilleraz
Registered Member

It should rise mine does.

Unread 01/22/2009, 12:46 PM   #121
fishypets
Registered Member

Okay so if mine doesn't I have either a bad pump or there is blockage?

Just to clarify I'm talking about the intake on the top of the riser tube.

Unread 01/22/2009, 12:57 PM   #122
mlb75
Premium Member

yea as soon as you plug that intake the pump should start pulling all water instead of the mix and the level in the body should rise noticeably. If it doesn't then I'd definitely check the pump intake, where is that turned to ie all the way in 1 turn out...

How long have you been running this skimmer, is it possible it's just still breaking in?

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 01:05 PM   #123
fishypets
Registered Member

When I plug it up the mix stops and it's just water however the level starts to lower. I'm positive the black dots line up but it wasn't quite one full turn. Should I start taking the skimmer apart?

The tank is fairly new and the skimmer has been running for over a month.

Thanks for the help!

Clint

Unread 01/22/2009, 01:07 PM   #124
jnb
Premium Member

which skimmer? my 160 mini and 180 mini gen 2 - when i block the air intake the water level rises - in the 180 it rises real fast!!! this was right out of the box or later - break in is not a factor IME.

I have had skimmers in the past that did the opposite - that is why I asked which BK are we talking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by mlb75
yea as soon as you plug that intake the pump should start pulling all water instead of the mix and the level in the body should rise noticeably. If it doesn't then I'd definitely check the pump intake, where is that turned to ie all the way in 1 turn out...

How long have you been running this skimmer, is it possible it's just still breaking in?

jnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2009, 01:10 PM   #125
jnb
Premium Member

black dots? - must be other than a mini so ignore all my recent dribble

One thing I never did was try this and adjust the water level down, etc - it may make a difference - everytime I clean my skimmer - after I start it back up I put my figure over the intake to get it to get going faster - I want to walk away and know it is around where it needs to be. So my conclusions as to bubbles rising only applies to the water level being around where it is suppose to be not lower.

Quote:
When I plug it up the mix stops and it's just water however the level starts to lower. I'm positive the black dots line up but it wasn't quite one full turn. Should I start taking the skimmer apart?

The tank is fairly new and the skimmer has been running for over a month.

Thanks for the help!

Clint

jnb is offline   Reply With Quote