Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2009, 08:22 PM   #1
E.intheC
Registered Member

Let's talk Blue Throat Trigger Fish

These guys are awesome. Would love to be able to purchase one.

Who has a Blue Throat?

Here's an RC article on them:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/fish/index.php

Unread 09/24/2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

I have had one for 5 years in my 450. Great little triggers with a lot of personality. The most docile triggers I have ever kept. Got along fabulously with my clown before he snapped and gets along great now with my niger trigger. Eats anything and very active. I hope you get one. Good luck.

Exiledonmainstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2009, 08:54 PM   #3
E.intheC
Registered Member

I've heard good things. How long have you had your triggers?
What other tank mates do you have with them?

Unread 09/24/2009, 09:05 PM   #4
00nothing
Registered Member

mine was a model citzen never bothered any of my other fish had him for a while after this video was made theres another 2 vids featuring him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdUdpsSOOzg

Cannot wait to get another one this one went to a friends tank when i was forced to take down my 135 pred reef

00nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

Blue chin and niger, 5 years. They're tankmates are a 5" queen angel, 6" princess parrotfish, 6" Aussie harlequin tusk, 6" lunare wrasse, 10" atlantic blue tang, 6" raccoon butterfly, 10" orange toadfish, 3 ft snowflake moray, 15" Gymnothorax Fimbriatus (miniature moray)

Unread 09/24/2009, 09:36 PM   #6
sharky's machin
Registered Member

Great article. This is one of the fish I want for my new FOWLR.

Mixed reef- LPS, Zoas, SPS

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon CAD Lights mixed reef
sharky's machin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2009, 09:40 PM   #7
E.intheC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 00nothing
mine was a model citzen never bothered any of my other fish had him for a while after this video was made theres another 2 vids featuring him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdUdpsSOOzg

Cannot wait to get another one this one went to a friends tank when i was forced to take down my 135 pred reef
Thank you for posting that video. Funny thing is; I just watched that a few minutes before I posted this thread!

Unread 09/28/2009, 07:46 AM   #8
E.intheC
Registered Member

I got lucky and found an active one at the lfs yesterday. A little under 3 inches. Colorful, active. Was eating myis in the store

Unread 09/28/2009, 07:52 AM   #9
rng_pw
Registered Member.

I just added a pair of bluejaws to my 450 a few days ago. They are quickly two of my favorite fish in the tank. My achilles beat them up for the first day but after that so far everything is going well and they seem to be model citizens. They are housed with a large hippo tang, two yellow tangs, foxface, Orange shoulder, tenniti tang, achilles, purple tang, and a few small fish like bartlets and Hawiaan flame wrasse. Good luck with your new fish

rng_pw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 10:01 AM   #10
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

Wow you have a lot of brute tangs in that tank. I have the same sized tank and have only been able to keep 1 or 2 max together. If these guys are not full grown yet, be prepared for a possible war when they are. Good luck to you.

Unread 09/28/2009, 05:08 PM   #11
TriggersAmuck
Premium Member

I have a Blue Throat (4") along with a Clown Trig. (4"), Picasso Trig. (2"), Blue Angel (4"), Regal Tang (5"), Sailfin Tang (4"), Powder Blue (3.5"), Purple Tang (4"), Red Corris Wrasse (4"), pair of Maroon Clowns, Tasmanian Devil (Australian damsel), Caribbean Jewel Damsel, and Falco Hawk (2").

The Blue Throat does not bother ANYBODY, and the only fish I see occasionally give him grief is the hippo (regal) tang. Guess the two have a similar enough body shape as to give the tang fits. Of all the triggers I have kept the Blue Throat has been the easiest in terms of compatibility. Their puppy like personality make up for their slightly more subtle coloring (compared to the dramatically colored Clowns, Undulateds, etc).

TriggersAmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

Hi trigger. Please read my sticky noted post on mistakes I made with aggressive fish. That bully mix of trigs/tangs are wonderful when they are tiny like yours are but keep an eye on them as they grow. I wish you luck.

Paul

Unread 09/28/2009, 08:18 PM   #13
returnofsid
Registered Member

I have a male/female pair of Blue Throat Triggers in my 200 deep dimension. Love them!!!

returnofsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 08:38 PM   #14
rng_pw
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledonmainstr View Post
Wow you have a lot of brute tangs in that tank. I have the same sized tank and have only been able to keep 1 or 2 max together. If these guys are not full grown yet, be prepared for a possible war when they are. Good luck to you.
Yeah that was something that I was worried about but the way I have my rock work set up my fish have a ton of room. The only two fish that I am having problems with are my 2 yellows. They have been fighting each other. As for size My hippo is the largest at about 7-8" and the rest of the fish I would say are at least past the medium size for the species. We will see what happens

rng_pw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 10:02 PM   #15
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

You left out the part of the quote. I said triggers/tangs. I was answering triggersamcuck on his trigger/tang stocking. The tangs can be trouble definitely, it's the clown trigger that is the future problem you have. I hope all goes well for you and good luck.

Paul

Unread 09/29/2009, 04:42 PM   #16
TriggersAmuck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledonmainstr View Post
Hi trigger. Please read my sticky noted post on mistakes I made with aggressive fish. That bully mix of trigs/tangs are wonderful when they are tiny like yours are but keep an eye on them as they grow. I wish you luck.

Paul
Make no mistake I read your post with great interest. I will probably find a new home for the Clown Trig. and my Sailfin Tang by the end of the year (if not sooner). I have noticed the Clown getting edgier as of lately. Not as in causing anyone harm yet, but clearly showing a bit of desire to do so.

Unread 09/29/2009, 06:20 PM   #17
gildorph
Registered Member

I have 2 male blue throats in a 180. I intended to buy a pair but was mislead and have had them since November. The larger male is about 6" and the smaller male is about 3 and 1/2". I have read here and can attest from experience the larger male is not as well adapted to captivity as he swims back and forth seemingly "unhappy" all day. Therefore, I would recommend going smaller on an initial purchase.

The larger male also ate a diamond watchman goby right in front of me last weekend that was a new addition to the tank. He leaves many other established smaller fishes alone. Otherwise, they have both been interesting fish and completely reef safe. I will probably have to get rid of one of them soon as I see aggression starting to mount.

gildorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 07:17 PM   #18
Exiledonmainstr
Registered Member

Hey triggersamuck. Mine did exactly the same thing. He was just starting to show some aggression that I figured was no problem. It was a short time later that I luckily happened to be in the fish room to see him going ballistic. It saved many fishes lives, though it cost him his as well. Best of luck to you with him.

Unread 09/29/2009, 07:20 PM   #19
E.intheC
Registered Member

Gildorph, sounds like you've got some great triggers there. I've heard about the larger triggers (and fish in general) having a harder time getting used to aquaria life.

The blue throat I bought is about 3 inches or so. Still hides in the rocks when I get near the tank. Seems very comfortable in the tank when I'm in the room (and sitting down for a bit).. but move toward the tank and he hides. Poor guy.

Unread 09/29/2009, 09:21 PM   #20
TriggersAmuck
Premium Member

EintheC, what else is in the tank? Sounds like the Blue Throat has the tank pretty much to himself?

Unread 09/29/2009, 09:26 PM   #21
E.intheC
Registered Member

He actually has a small purple pseudochromis and pair of clownfish as tank mates. They all get along so far. They swim near each other, and show absolutely zero signs of aggression. I'll keep a very close eye on everyone though.

Unread 09/30/2009, 05:39 AM   #22
gildorph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
Gildorph, sounds like you've got some great triggers there. I've heard about the larger triggers (and fish in general) having a harder time getting used to aquaria life.

The blue throat I bought is about 3 inches or so. Still hides in the rocks when I get near the tank. Seems very comfortable in the tank when I'm in the room (and sitting down for a bit).. but move toward the tank and he hides. Poor guy.
I do love their personality and behavior for the most part. I have found providing areas where they can feel locked in to the rocks makes them comfortable.

gildorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 07:12 AM   #23
evojoe67
Registered Member

I've got 1 in my 210 reef along with a Niger and a PinkTail. 3 awesome fish who live with all my other Tangs and assorteds in the community, with no problems whatsoever.

Current Tank Info: reef has a 45 gallon refugium, etss protein skimmer, phosband reactor, uv, kalk wasser, chiller, 3-250MH, with 4-actinics, and moon lites. 96 fowlr has a prtein skimmer 20 gallon refugium, phosband reactor, uv steralizer
evojoe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Amoore311
Registered Member

I've had mine in the my 90 Gallon for almost a month now. He is small, about 3".

He is currently with a Powder Blue, Yellow Tang, Pair of Adolescent Clowns, Sixline Wrasse, and Yellow Watchman Goby.

He sticks to the rocks more or less. I was expecting that while he was in the 90 Gallon though, since the Powder Blue and Yellow Tang were in there first.

I should have everything moved over to my 180 Gallon this weekend.

They are awesome fish. Mine eats everything from flakes and pellets, to meaty foods like clam/shrimp/scallop.

100 Gallon Custom Rimless Mixed Reef 2012-2014
29 Gallon Biocube Reef! Current

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Biocube, StevesLED Upgrade, Neptune Apex
Amoore311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2012, 10:53 PM   #25
jt48
Registered Member

Been three years since last post. May be in market for a pair of 3" blue throat triggers. I was never interested in the female alone but what about as a pair. Are there advantages to having a pair?

Filtration includes passive filtration pads, skimmer, ca
jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote