Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Ncord
Registered Member

New claim any pointers?

So after much back and forth I purchased a Tridacna maxima, this is my 2 nd attempt trying to keep one. Any one have any tips on how to keep this one healthy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ncord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 07:28 PM   #2
carrots
Registered Member

Maintaining healthy stable water conditions and proper lighting. Read as much as possible here about their care. Good luck this time.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 08:14 PM   #3
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

They need a massive amount of light and near NSW parameters.

They can look good for a long time and slowly be dying and are the ultimate in false-positives. The only positive-positive is if they grow lots of new shell.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 09:22 PM   #4
michael.lemke
Registered Member

How big is it? The tiny ones are really difficult to keep. If they show growth you are good. What lighting do you have? Strong lighting like from several t5 or halides is ideal.

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 09:29 PM   #5
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

They actually prefer slightly dirty water. By slightly dirty I mean slightly. My parameters 2.5 nitrates, 0.03 phosphates and stable there all day everyday.

Put him somewhere maxima are usually sand dwellers but depending on your lighting. I have a crochea and they are more rock and higher light requirements. But once you put them somewhere let them do their thing for at least a few days if they are constantly moving help them move. But try to not keep moving them yourself.

Don't damage the foot. Hopefully comes with feet attached to a rock. Always pick up clam and rock together. They will be in big trouble if you damage their foot

ssgss gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 08:29 PM   #6
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Maxima and Crocea BOTH are rock dwelling clams. They will not do as well in the sand unless you attach them to a rock and bury the rock. Unless you have all kinds of T5 or MH, they won't likely get enough light long-term on the sand. Get it up as high as you can.

Unread 08/06/2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Ncord
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lemke View Post
How big is it? The tiny ones are really difficult to keep. If they show growth you are good. What lighting do you have? Strong lighting like from several t5 or halides is ideal.

Hi it's over 5 inches, and have had it for a week haven't seen signs of shell growth yet, lighting is hydra led from my Red Sea 650max s. The clam so far do good seems happy.

Unread 08/06/2017, 05:18 PM   #8
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncord View Post
Hi it's over 5 inches, and have had it for a week haven't seen signs of shell growth yet, lighting is hydra led from my Red Sea 650max s. The clam so far do good seems happy.

Is that as open as it's getting? How long did the fish store have it? I think you need to get him up in the rock work for more light!

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 09:41 AM   #9
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

That's a beautiful clam so you want to take good care of it. And it doesn't take much effort either.

I'm going to second what the mod and michael said here. To have it attach to a rock put it on a frag disk of large enough size and let it sit there for a few days. It'll attach itself and you can move that disk about to wherever you want.

It does not look happy where it is now. It does seem to be wanting light there so I would move it higher up in the tank closer to light source.

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 03:55 PM   #10
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Although I am not wishing this on you, brace yourself for a death in a few months. That looks like a Tahitian Maxima which have about a 95% fail rate. They need more light than your Hydra is capable of giving them - most that keep them long term have very high wattage Halides and they are in shallow lagoons or really up high in the rocks. The only true positive is if it puts in new shell growth - if it does this, it will do it fast and in large bursts of usually one-half inch, or so. Otherwise, clams can look great and open right until their last day, and then decay into nothing in 48 hours.

In order for it to have much chance, you need to get it in the rocks like everybody is saying.

I hope that it does well.

Since you bought before you asked last time, if you do decide to get another clam, a Deresa or Squamosa might be a better choice for that tank, light and to keep in the sand.

Unread 08/07/2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Ncord
Registered Member

Well then I'm glade I asked, moved him up and going to give him a week and see , if not off to trade I go. He is only 5 days old in my tank.

Unread 08/17/2017, 12:47 AM   #12
Ncord
Registered Member

Well seems happy not really opening fully but the same as when I bought him. I ll post some pics I the am, I did how ever saw what think is new growth