Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2010, 07:20 PM   #1
LulusMoogle
Registered Member

Lightbulb Topless LED? Playing with ideas.

Well, I haven't been on here in a long time. In short, I would like to downgrade from my 29g BC that I've had for 2 years to a 14g BC. As far as stock and gadgets go, I know what I want. But I'm debating the lighting. I really, really want to go topless this round with some nice LED lighting able to support SPS.

I would like to have moonlights included in the setup somehow.

My trouble is finding a light that supports this current setup I have in mind. My budget limit is about $300. I am aware that there's a hood on Nanocustoms, closed-top for $350, but y'know... Not quite what I'm looking for. Plus, I'm not sure if that would support SPS or not. Which probably hints that I require more education where LED lighting is concerned.

I prefer not to have to deal with a DIY setup since I'm not that mechanically inclined, but some less intense DIY setups are okay with me.

Essentially, I need to know the intensity I need to support SPS corals in a 14g BC. And I need to know where to find a topless LED setup OR how to set one up with minimal DIY. It wouldn't hurt to list some terminology, as well so that I can be better educated.

Help me out, guys!

PS: For those curious, I am only transferring a few stock. Pistol shrimp, my black clown and her favorite candy cane (:P), bubble coral, and some mushrooms. The rest is going to my LFS along with an aggressive sixline.

LulusMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 08:12 PM   #2
montrose
Registered Member

Two Nanocustoms Par38's. If you're planning on not using a hood, check out the Cadlights 12g, it's completely rimless for a cleaner look.

montrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, donwsize, led, lighting ideas