Unread 12/24/2014, 11:15 PM   #53
EvenFurther
Registered Member

^^^Awesome! More Zoa pics please!

EvenFurther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2014, 12:21 AM   #54
dbenyo
Registered Member

Stagcrazy those zoas are amazing, one of my favorites as well. If you ever want to trade I'm in pompano and davie. I dont care much about names for me its all about how much it glows under the blues

dbenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2014, 02:44 PM   #55
stagcrazy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenyo View Post
Stagcrazy those zoas are amazing, one of my favorites as well. If you ever want to trade I'm in pompano and davie. I dont care much about names for me its all about how much it glows under the blues

i sold all those when i took the tank down butg i got a nice little collection started,btw i agree about the names i just loved the look under actinic and blue leds

stagcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2014, 05:19 PM   #56
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagcrazy View Post
these were my fave lost them to no reason had them for a month and melted away

I had a 1' colony of these but broke it up. They glow like nuclear ZOA's under LEDs! They are beautiful. I did keep a small colony to grow out again . They are so bright, but best under LEDs which I won't be using again.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2014, 08:03 PM   #57
stagcrazy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
I had a 1' colony of these but broke it up. They glow like nuclear ZOA's under LEDs! They are beautiful. I did keep a small colony to grow out again . They are so bright, but best under LEDs which I won't be using again.

i had these under t5s and they still melted, that picture is taken under a ati 8 bulb fixture, i really loved those zoas and tried everything to keep them from vitamin c to target feeding to keeping the tank under 78 degrees, i still couldnt do it, yet every other zoa was striving go figure.

Unread 12/25/2014, 11:29 PM   #58
Thomas898
Registered Member

Had these in my tank for around 6 weeks now, growth is phenomenal, before and after shots of when I first got them to now, under T5 and LED. Never bothered with the names, just love the colours.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoa T5 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Zoa LED.jpg (38.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Thomas898; 12/25/2014 at 11:35 PM.
Thomas898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 11:56 AM   #59
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

Going back to the OP, here are a few suggestions. I'm a newbie, and could care less about zoas(don't kill me!). From what I've seen, maybe somebody should post a "Let's see your Zoanthid pics" thread. Another problem might be price. I can get plain brown zoanthids for $5, or pay hundreds for a small colorful frag. If price goes down, then interest goes up. The toxins are also a problem, because who honestly would keep something poisonous (not venomous) in their aquarium? Not a first-time reefer. There's also the SPS craze that means that people will gravitate towards the more popular corals, as opposed to the expensive, less colorful, less "reef-like" zoanthids. Just my two cents here.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a troll, and if I cause offense, then I sincerely apologize.

ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 05:53 PM   #60
stagcrazy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Going back to the OP, here are a few suggestions. I'm a newbie, and could care less about zoas(don't kill me!). From what I've seen, maybe somebody should post a "Let's see your Zoanthid pics" thread. Another problem might be price. I can get plain brown zoanthids for $5, or pay hundreds for a small colorful frag. If price goes down, then interest goes up. The toxins are also a problem, because who honestly would keep something poisonous (not venomous) in their aquarium? Not a first-time reefer. There's also the SPS craze that means that people will gravitate towards the more popular corals, as opposed to the expensive, less colorful, less "reef-like" zoanthids. Just my two cents here.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a troll, and if I cause offense, then I sincerely apologize.
but who honestly wants plain brown zoanthids. palytoxin is only in a small variety of palythoa that doesnt mean you should go boil a rock of zoas but unless you get it in your bloodstream somehow you should be ok

Unread 12/26/2014, 06:36 PM   #61
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

stagcrazy, that's my point. Very few people want plain brown zoanthids, and the others are not as colorful as some less expensive LPS, SPS, and softies, and finally, the really nice looking ones are super expensive.

I didn't know about the whole palytoxin in a small variety of palythoa. Maybe it's a stereotype that all zoanthids are toxic? I remember buying a small frag of zoas a while back, and warning my entire family to keep their hands out of the tank to prevent poisoning.

ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2014, 08:02 PM   #62
kichimark
Μολὼν λαβέ

As others have mentioned this issue has been going on for a while and is something that was once talked to death. Personally I still love zoas as shown in my avatar and enjoy growing them out AND what I find interesting is when reefers post pics of small frags then frag those.

As for price, I have seen many of the popular zoas of the past go hundreds of dollars which now can be found for 20 or even 10pp depending where you are located such as RH/UC/BH. The super expensive polyps of today will be the futures next "where are they now" morph.

kichimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2014, 10:12 PM   #63
acidlittle
Registered Member

To me I think it's the progression of the aquarium. When people start they tend to get softies/LPS. Zoas are colorful and relatively "beginner" but the progression of the keeper tends to shift....you get a tank and rock and a light....then you get your softies/zoas...but what's that? You see a Frogspawn, and you snatch that, realizing you should probably upgrade your lights soon.....then you see a pink birdsnest and it's affordable so you upgrade those lights, get the birdsnest and now you are contemplating reactors/ATOs and the such.....Zoas are considered an entry level coral, and people usually don't start a hobby with the intent on staying in the "Beginner" class...they upgrade and upgrade and upgrade until they realize that they are experts...it's just what we do!

With that said, I've always loved Zoas and can't wait to grow out the few little frags I have so I can share them with people. I don't give 2 testicles what the name is, I just like the colors and such. I won't ever charge a boat load for my frags, as it's a hobby not a business, I'm in it for fun not for money!

"This is my BOOMSTICK"~~~Bruce Campbell

Current Tank Info: 24gal AP 150MH....75gal is forsale!
acidlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2015, 10:43 PM   #64
Cmrspresley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobineros View Post
So dont answer and dont read bro. TO sit there and belittle the newbs instead of directing them with a link... Do you honsetly think that is going to create a conversation or just resentment? People will go somewhere else, where they will get an answer (whether a redirection to an old thread or a new answer all together). Thats more of a contribution than any of you put forth... Go learn some basic human psychology.
Thanks foe sticking up for us newbs. We have to learn somehow. You were all newbs once. Do not forget.

Last edited by Cmrspresley; 01/25/2015 at 10:59 PM.
Cmrspresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 12:41 PM   #65
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Piper27,

How about you post some pics of your tank to inspire people into zoas again?
If I remember correctly, you have the sickest tank around!

Unread 01/28/2015, 07:35 AM   #66
Piper27
I love bengals

Well since we switched to a 90 tall maintaining the tank is too hard. Going from shallow to deep stinks! Also the rabbit fish was slowly picking off small polyps or frags with new plugs as he grazed the rocks. So we lost a lot of stuff. Recently we took all of the smaller colonies and frags out and cleaned out the LPs tank to use it as a place to watch the ZOA's for a while. We cut everything up to try and take care of it better and also make doubles in case we loose stuff again, and it will take a bit for things to start growing again.
On the other hand my sps tank is coming along

Unread 01/28/2015, 09:56 AM   #67
itz frank
Gives Bad Advice.

I think part of the contribution is accredited to the fact that ToTMs usually are SPS dominated or at least appear to be. SPS at the moment, and as long as I have lurked here, have been the pinnacle of reef keeping.

The way it appears is that keeping sps healthy is harder than keeping zoas and if your tank is full of zoas, you must be new.

I don't feel this way but you can see how someone could.

itz frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2015, 10:05 AM   #68
650-IS350
Registered Member

Quote:
rabbit fish was slowly picking off small polyps or frags with new plugs
Fox face and similar type fish, very good at mowing down frags or colonies. I don't ever keep those again if I want to collect Z's and P's.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 04:59 PM   #69
Piper27
I love bengals

The two bars have always done good for us, I am not even sure it was him though. The other rabbits I defiantly won't try with ZOA's. Although I wouldnt suggest keeping them with ZOA's in the first place, we just like a challenge. I think the fact that we are detoured from maintance in the tank made us neglect newer additions, in turn stuff was lost. We won't be using tall tanks again . Everything small is off the rocks and in grow out again until we move and setup a new system, I can not wait!

Unread 02/02/2015, 06:51 PM   #70
Devi
Registered Member

Hey can someone help me? I just posted in the forum too. 44 views and not one comment. Tank is a JBJ 45 rimless. Two months old. With a Kessil 350WE. They were in a Nano before and doing well under a Par38. I moved everything over to this new tank. The same Zoas are doing fine on another rock but on this one rock they refuse to open. I had a bit of Dino and some hair algae so I did a HO2O dip and that killed the algae and dino. The zoas that were opened before reopened. No visible bugs, used dry rock to cycle my tank. I don't think it is lighting because the other zoas are at same level and thriving. Could be current, although other Zoa is in same place almost. Pictures are on the "Zoa, I didn't know her" thread.

Devi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 09:15 PM   #71
Bpb
Registered Member

Nothing super rare or unique. Just a few sandbed close ups from today

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 09:19 PM   #72
Bpb
Registered Member

I also keep a foxface in my mixed reef and it's only ever picked at my Palau nepthelia. Once every couple months it will bite off an Appleseed sized piece and swallow/spit it out over and over until it gets lost. Never touched any clams, zoas, lps, or sps. Just eats algae on the rocks and fish food

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 11:13 AM   #73
Piper27
I love bengals

Nice pics BPD!!

I think keeping one is worth the risk just because they are so good at cleanup. I really think my issue was neglect rather than anything else. We have changed so much on our system recently that some ZOA's suffered.