Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2019, 04:23 PM   #1
teddscau
Registered Member

What Are Zebra Conches?

Okay, so I was planning on buying some toothed conches for my tank, but then my supplier suggested zebra conches since they look cooler. Thing is, I have no clue what they look like, and I can't find any info about them online. Does anybody know anything about these guys?

-------------
Okay, so according to my research they are most likely Conomurex fasciatus, commonly known as the lined conch. Apparently they're native to the Red Sea (and perhaps some other places), and were eaten by ancient peoples. My supplier said the "zebra conch" was super rare, so...maybe?

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby

Last edited by teddscau; 06/25/2019 at 04:40 PM.
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

It's a striped conch

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2019, 10:56 AM   #3
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Maybe. That's the problem with using "supplier" names, they just fabricate them as an aid to marketing. My first experience with this was one who was telling me about "zebra conchs," and I said, "I don't know what that is. Canarium mutabile zebriolatus?" He said he didn't know, so he showed me. They were Tiger Cowries. I said, "That's a Tiger Cowry, Cypraea tigris." He said, "Yeah, we call them Zebra Conchs...." So, he may be talking about a Conomurex, or he may be talking about Engina mendicaria, or he may be talking about the real "zebra conch," the zebriolatus form of Canarium mutabile, which is actually a true conch...or he may be talking about something totally different.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2019, 10:58 AM   #4
pagojoe
Team RC Member

My guess is that it's something other than this, but who knows:

http://www.gastropods.com/0/Shell_1350.shtml

Unread 06/28/2019, 03:02 PM   #5
teddscau
Registered Member

Thanks guys . I'll have to get him to send some photos when he goes to the wholesaler. It's annoying when they don't write what species it is (heck, I'd even appreciate it if they guessed at what genera they belong to).

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2019, 10:53 PM   #6
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Yeah, I sympathize. By the way, Conomurex fasciatus is pretty rare, and as far as I know, they are not generally collected for the aquarium market.