Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2019, 04:07 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

where to get 'good' bartlett anthias?

Hi,

I have had more bad than good luck with anthias. One of my three in my current trio eats well. It's the larger male. The other 2, one medium sized (female) eats some, and is picky. The smallest one, quite small and thin I hardly ever see eat anything ever. If she does it's some bits of flake food, but very finick-ly about it or frozen tiny hikari mysis, but never more than 1 or 2 at a time, if that. I know they like to eat throughout the day smaller amounts, but these two just hardly ever do anything. They like to hide a lot.

This compares to a pair I had a year ago. They (male and female I believe) both grew pretty well. I had them for about 8 months. They were active and out and about in the tank. They died, (another story). To be replaced by this not so great trio. I've also had bad luck getting barberry (sp?) anthias to eat well in my tank (and therefore passed).

**So where can I get anthias that have proven to eat well in captivity? Especially Bartletts?

Thanks!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2019, 07:10 AM   #2
mattgumaer
Registered Member

You can find trios on Diver's Den periodically. Anthias generally, and Bartlett's in particular, establish a pecking order among themselves. This can result in the weakest/most submissive fish wasting away and dying, followed by the next weakest, right on down the line. Depending on tank size, people will put in a more than three to try to spread the aggression across a bigger group. I had a group of three for a couple of years but, the smallest never looked too happy.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2019, 01:17 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
You can find trios on Diver's Den periodically. Anthias generally, and Bartlett's in particular, establish a pecking order among themselves. This can result in the weakest/most submissive fish wasting away and dying, followed by the next weakest, right on down the line. Depending on tank size, people will put in a more than three to try to spread the aggression across a bigger group. I had a group of three for a couple of years but, the smallest never looked too happy.

Matt
TY
None of them are agressive to each other at all, not one bit. The larger male doesnt even compete with the others for food. They are very nice to each other. Even if I found a trio in DD, that doesnt say anything if they will eat.
I understand your response, though, but it's just not my situation.

Unread 12/27/2019, 05:28 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

Coincidence! If they still have them when you click: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-d...y-anthias-trio

They dont look skinny, except one, the one on the left, maybe is a little smaller and 'skinny'. I can't exactly tell. But I still can't tell more than 50% sure they are eating well. By time I figure it out by talking to someone they will be gone. Especially since from my experience they need to talk to someone else to get the info.

Last time I was told wrong info on a fish, from what I can tell. So I can't always go by what they are saying either.

Though this one is a tempting trio.... If I got it I'm guessing the one on the left will not make it and the other two might. ugh

EDIT: Something about how they look is telling me they will not do well. I cant put my finger on it. Though part of it is their size.

Last edited by CTaylor; 12/27/2019 at 06:43 PM.
Unread 01/16/2020, 06:34 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

I got a good trio looks like!... i posted it to youtube: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https..._8-_iEfhGoNPnE
three are the trio, one is one I already had. It seems to be all females incl my previous seems to be female, and male that shoes his dorsal spine often. They are EATTING wellll. and they are out and about , not hiding like most of my others had. I tihnk I finally got lucky. they were $$$ though... $280 for the trio... 15% off though with my coupon, wiht tax and box charge, $280 lol
What do you think??

Unread 01/17/2020, 06:01 PM   #6
outssider
Registered Member

that's top dollar...I hope they all make it....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 06:44 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
that's top dollar...I hope they all make it....
I know it was as much as I would possibly consider paying.. so I was holding my breath on ordering, knowing that in passed anthias would take a long time to diesapper or die from not eating, so may be out side the 2 weeks window guarantee.. at same time I didnt want to have any die 'on my watch'.

They are still doing great, active, not hiding all the time like my previous,, EATING. not figthing, so maybe only the one male if that. If they last it was well worth it.