Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Weboh
Registered Member

How badly would a small amount of dish soap affect a tank?

I recently got a dosing pump. I used dish soap to clean out a container to use with it. I thought I rinsed it thoroughly, but after adding the alkalinity buffer to it, I saw bubbles. I picked out the bubbles and now it doesn't smell like the dish soap.

So, my question is: What's the worst that can happen if a little bit of dish soap gets added to the tank every day along with the alkalinity buffer? I don't want to waste the buffer I poured in there, but I also don't want to slowly poison my tank. Thoughts? Thanks.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2020, 10:41 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Have no idea how much you made up but a skimmer will go nuts bubbling away if any soap is introduced. The overflow into the sump will also make a mess possibly.
If it were me id take a portion in a container & put a airstone to it with a small air pump & see what happens if you believe its worth saving verses just dumping. If it goes nuts then you just saved yourself a lot of grief.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2020, 09:39 PM   #3
Weboh
Registered Member

I've tested it with an airstone and got a negligible amount of soap bubbles. Is that the only thing that's a cause for concern? No chance there's chemicals in the soap that would be harmful to fish or corals?

Unread 01/12/2020, 11:07 PM   #4
Bonanza
Registered Member

I look at it this way. Are the contents of your tank worth more than the alk buffer? If so, replace the buffer.

Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 11:06 AM   #5
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I look at it this way. Are the contents of your tank worth more than the alk buffer? If so, replace the buffer.
+1 buffer is cheap, why take the risk? i'd dump it and mix up a new batch.

in the future, it's best to avoid any kind of soaps or surfactants when cleaning things for the tank. i only use bleach, vinegar, and hot water for most of my cleaning duties. anything that gets bleached usually gets soaked in some chlorine neutralizer after and rinsed thoroughly.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 11:08 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A "small" amount of dish soap like you seem to be describing will have little to no effect on a tank..

And just because you see bubbles doesn't mean its soap..

Unread 01/14/2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Weboh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
+1 buffer is cheap, why take the risk? i'd dump it and mix up a new batch.

in the future, it's best to avoid any kind of soaps or surfactants when cleaning things for the tank. i only use bleach, vinegar, and hot water for most of my cleaning duties. anything that gets bleached usually gets soaked in some chlorine neutralizer after and rinsed thoroughly.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I still want to reuse the bottle though; what's the best way to get the soap out? Vinegar?

Unread 01/14/2020, 12:11 PM   #8
Bonanza
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I still want to reuse the bottle though; what's the best way to get the soap out? Vinegar?
If it's just dish soap, give it a real good rinse a few times and you'll be good to go

Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2020, 01:25 PM   #9
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
i'd probably just rinse it in distilled water a bunch.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2020, 04:05 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
8 Toxic Chemicals In Conventional Dish Soap

Phosphates. ...
Triclosan. ...
SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)/SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) ...
Fragrance. ...
DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine) ...
Chlorine. ...
Formaldehyde. ...
Ammonia.
The triclosan is an antibiotic which could harm the sandbed in sufficient amounts. -Amines are questionable. Ammonia and chlorine and formaldehyde about all irrtitant to toxic depending on amount. Phostphate stimulates algae. Not nice. Everything depends on how diluted.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote