From my recollection is usually low but test

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 07:46 AM   #29
crawlerman
Registered Member

You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:14 AM   #30
Reeferman1019
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerman View Post
You are starving your corals, shut down the GFO and only use it if your phosphates get high. Soft corals like the water a little dirty. You want detectable nitrates and phosphates.

Ok will stop GFO, but don't see why that's a concern I only use a small amount

Unread 01/11/2017, 03:13 PM   #31
crawlerman
Registered Member

it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.

Unread 01/11/2017, 11:51 PM   #32
Reeferman1019
Registered Member

Quote:
it only takes a small amount to strip a 10g aquarium. Corals need nitrates and phosphates to live. If your tests are accurate you have neither. If you want to run a ULN system you need to be adding all of the supplements. You may want to up your feeding as well until you have detectable levels. Are you getting any growth from that birdsnest? Is it pale or is the color normal? Do you have any algae growth? The fuel should help.

Ok, birdsnest is doing good normal color. Do have algae on substrate.

Unread 01/13/2017, 07:17 AM   #33
crawlerman
Registered Member

In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.

Unread 01/13/2017, 02:35 PM   #34
Reeferman1019
Registered Member

Quote:
In some systems xenia will have explosive growth and spread all over, in others it will not live. I had a 75g that was doing great, had mix of softies, LPS and sps (a few montipora and a tricolor acro). I tried putting xenia in 3 times and it melted away within a few weeks. Never did figure out why. I figured it might be some trace element I was low on but didn't test. But if all of your other corals are thriving I wouldn't start adding random supplements. But either way you do want some nutrients in the tank. Nitrates right around 5 and phosphates around .03ish. If you don't have a low range Hannah Phosphorous checker you could be in the right range with phosphates but your test kit won't detect low range. If it's in the budget I would recommend getting a Hannah low range phosphorous checker. Make sure its the one that test in PPB.
ok I will look into those testers really appreciate the good info