Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2017, 06:38 PM   #1
lissampson
Registered Member

Mantis Shrimp suddenly died

My mantis shrimp died tonight. He was about 4 inches long. I really really liked him and want to figure out what happened. He was in a 20 gallon display refugium. The water perimeters looked good and he was behaving normally. Any ideas of what might have happened? Yesterday I put in some little pieces of LR rubble since he loved moving that and the macro algae into his cave.

The upclose picture of him draped over the rock is him dead. Does anyone see anything that might explain his death?

Temp: 79; Specific Gravity: 1/024; Ammonia: 0; Nitrite: 0; Nitrate: 10-20; PH: 8.2; Calcium: 400; KH: 143.2; Magnesium: 1080; Phosphate: .06

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1916.jpg (47.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg (50.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1921.jpg (54.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1920.jpg (58.0 KB, 38 views)
lissampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 09:39 PM   #2
nmotz
Registered Member

Looks like he either had shell rot or a bad molt. There's some discoloration on the back of his shell and it's tough for me to say which it was. Sometimes the old exoskeleton cannot be shed and that causes death.

In terms of what caused it, can't be too sure. Nitrates 10-20 aren't terrible but it's better to run a low nutrient tank with a mantis. I'm surprised you had any nitrates with all that macroalgae in the tank. How long was your tank running? How long did you have your mantis?

Sorry this happened, it's a tough hobby sometimes.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 09:21 AM   #3
lissampson
Registered Member

My main tank has been running since December. I added the refugium recently along with the mantis shrimp - about 2 weeks I guess. The mantis shrimp had been at my local fish store for at least 5 months (I had been drooling over him for a while now). When I first got him that discolored area had what looked like hair algae growing on it. The nitrates were a definitely a little high but I was do to do a water change today. Just not sure if I did something wrong.

Thanks for your post. I want another one but I am going to wait a while and see if I notice anything else with my tanks.

Unread 04/12/2017, 09:38 PM   #4
nmotz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissampson View Post
My main tank has been running since December. I added the refugium recently along with the mantis shrimp - about 2 weeks I guess. The mantis shrimp had been at my local fish store for at least 5 months (I had been drooling over him for a while now). When I first got him that discolored area had what looked like hair algae growing on it. The nitrates were a definitely a little high but I was do to do a water change today. Just not sure if I did something wrong.

Thanks for your post. I want another one but I am going to wait a while and see if I notice anything else with my tanks.
Sounds like he came with a fairly advanced shell disease of some kind. Doesn't surprise me since he was at an LFS for so long. You'll often see them develop those kind of problems if they stay at the LFS for a while. Not much you could've done for him, don't feel too bad.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2017, 06:20 AM   #5
lissampson
Registered Member

I know I want to get another one but I am going to wait awhile and keep an eye on my tanks. Let it get more established and get those nitrates low consistently. When I do get a new mantis shrimp, any tips? How often do you feed yours? I put about 5 hermits and 3 snails and he took out almost all of them in 2 weeks (the hermits were smallish). Plus I fed him small pieces of scallops & shrimp twice a week.

Thanks for your help!