Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I.d of strange white things

I purchased a candy cane coral a while back and I noticed these white things on the skeleton. I pulled them off then they appear again. That was a few months ago. Now, they are still growing on the candy cane and I looked behind my over flow.....holy S**t. To my surprise there's atleast 2 of these things per square inch on the backside of the overflow. They look like they might have two stubs popping out at the end but I can't really tell. Most of the things in the picture are copepods but If you look on the right side you can see them. Any idea what these are? Are they harmful?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170414_202314.jpg (26.0 KB, 28 views)
Reefer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Reefer1991
Registered Member

The picture uploaded sideways so what I am referring to is at the top of the picture.

Unread 04/14/2017, 06:43 PM   #3
luislimon
Registered Member

Difficult to see. flat worms? What is in that qt ? Normally you get flat worms from rock or corals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luislimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 06:50 PM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I can't really make anything out from that picture, but it sounds like they might be Pineapple sponges. (harmless)

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luislimon View Post
Difficult to see. flat worms? What is in that qt ? Normally you get flat worms from rock or corals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the overflow in my display, so yes there are rocks and coral.

AlSimmons, I think you're right! I just Googled them and I found this thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...d.php?t=535760
The second picture looks almost exactly like what I have. Good to know they're harmless. They get annoying though because once theres too many of them close to the candy cane polyps I need to pull them all off or they don't open all the way. I'm not seeing any on the rock though. Just the candy cane and behind the overflow.

Unread 04/16/2017, 07:20 AM   #6
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I am going out to get prazi today. Last night after I vacuumed the bottom of the tank the angel started rubbing his right gill on the bottom of the pvc. He did it maybe 6 times then didn't do it again. I watched him for a half hour after he was flashing and didn't see him do it again. Do angels have a thick mucous coating where stuff gets stuck to them easily? Because the angel has only showed symptoms immediately after I cleaned the tank and stuff was floating around then acted normal a few hours later. I am probably going to treat with prazi to rule out the flukes or worms and then drop the salinity down to 1.009 for 4 weeks. In the back of my mind I feel like I may put unnecessary stress on a healthy fish. I really like the coloration and personality of this angel so I don't want anything to happen to him. There was plenty of poop when I vacuumed the tank so obviously they're eating when Im not in the room. Anything I should worry about doing hypo with a goby?

Unread 04/16/2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Wrong thread sorry guys..

Tags
candy cane coral, hitchhiker, white thing