Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2017, 08:49 PM   #1
fixingstill
Registered Member

Hunt for Epoxy putty stick...

It seems all these epoxy putty sticks marketed for aquarium is just regular ones for general purpose use. They are either 2oz or 4oz for about $5 or $10. Yes, those for "aquarium use" are not more expensive but I was very disappointed that the Instant Ocean HoldFast Aquarium Epoxy Glue Stick (HF-1) is BRIGHT WHITE, and causes my skimmer overflowing for 5 days and still doing it, and it is STILL SOFT. I can put a mark on it with my nail.
Then I tried Harbor Freight expoxy putty. It SMELLS SO BAD and did not get hardened in the water.
So I tried PRO-POXY 20 Epoxy [B000BQLSXQ on amazon] and it works better. At least it has hardened the next day I checked it.
Now, I just found this:
A+B Epoxy 9904K White A+B Rezolin Epoxy Kit, 14 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-9904K-W.../dp/B0030D2N22

It is $14.75 for 14 oz. Isn't it the best deal ever for your epoxy putty hunt?
I will try it. Anyone has tried it and how good/bad is it?

fixingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 05:49 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

JB Waterweld is what I have used for years. Decent price, available just about anywhere. Never affected my skimmer in any way at all and I have used as much as a couple of tubes in a day.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:17 AM   #3
BryanCaruso
Registered Member

I use that too. It is white but works and doesn't effect skimmer

BryanCaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:46 AM   #4
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I've used the JB water weld as well and have had good luck. It has effected my skimmer, causing it to loose bubble head, not over flow. This was very temporary while the epoxy cured though, returning to normal within a couple of hours with no harm done.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 06:18 PM   #5
bblumberg
Registered Member

I have used both JB water weld and Two Little Fishies purple stick. Both work well-enough but I prefer the purple one. Both need to be well mixed for good results. I'd guess if they haven't hardened you need to knead them more before using. I find a good 2-3 minutes is required to get the color uniform in the TLF purple stick.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 06:25 PM   #6
fixingstill
Registered Member

Instant Ocean HoldFast Aquarium Epoxy Glue Stick (HF-1) is a nightmare. I waited for 7 days and my skimmer still overflows. I ended up wet-skimmed 1 gallon out before it gets back to "controllable". This product should not be made and marketed for aquarium use.

Last edited by fixingstill; 04/24/2017 at 06:57 PM.
Unread 04/24/2017, 06:54 PM   #7
luvreefs23
Registered Member

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/corall...eef-epoxy.html

This stuff once mixed got hot and was rock hard in 10-15 mins. Used on a few pieces on my aquascape. Impressive stuff

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:04 PM   #8
fixingstill
Registered Member

One trick I have been using is to use crazy glue on top and under the epoxy putty Otherwise it is never easy to have putty affix to rock, especially if it has algae.
Or I use putty to "wrap around" the plug and the rock that you are setting the coral on. Use the putty as cushioning and to "grab" and hold the plug down to the rock surface.

Unread 04/24/2017, 09:02 PM   #9
Vio
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixingstill View Post
One trick I have been using is to use crazy glue on top and under the epoxy putty Otherwise it is never easy to have putty affix to rock, especially if it has algae.
Or I use putty to "wrap around" the plug and the rock that you are setting the coral on. Use the putty as cushioning and to "grab" and hold the plug down to the rock surface.
+1 "One trick I have been using is to use crazy glue on top and under the epoxy putty"

Vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 12:38 AM   #10
Reef_Pilot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblumberg View Post
I have used both JB water weld and Two Little Fishies purple stick. Both work well-enough but I prefer the purple one. Both need to be well mixed for good results. I'd guess if they haven't hardened you need to knead them more before using. I find a good 2-3 minutes is required to get the color uniform in the TLF purple stick.
+1 for the Two Little Fishies Epoxy. I have tried several aquarium specific epoxies and JB Water weld but much prefer the TLF Epoxy.

Current Tank Info: 90g DT w/40g sump, mostly softies under Kessil/T5 combo w/Apex Classic
Reef_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote