Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Vanquishxxxx
Registered Member

Retro fit Canopy question

So will be getting my first tank with a canopy. My question is can you put a t5 fixture in there? Or do I have to use retrofit kits.
Same question for metal halides. Always used fixtures since
I didn't have a canopy. If retrofits are the way I have to go what
Do you guys recommend

Vanquishxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 04:29 AM   #2
FishN00b83
Registered Member

It really depends on what fixtures you want, and what canopy you have.

I had my first canopy a few years ago on my 125 and it was very short so I bought AI Sols to fix underneath. I also had to make custom rails to hang them on because their rail system wouldn't fit in the space.

Fast forward several years and I am now custom building a canopy and I'm making it exactly the way I want to accommodate my hydra 52s but also be able to accommodate change in the future. I made this one 14 inches tall with a solid wooden beam across the center to be able to hold any lights. I currently attached metal rails for the screws to slide into on the hydras.

You really just need to plan out what you want and figure out a way to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/23/2017, 05:59 AM   #3
crazycolt42
Registered Member

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a canopy that I built that has the whole back open. When I have looked @ T5 as my possible lighting solution, I checked out some of the ATI units on BRS website. I know that ATI does not recommend putting them under a canopy, but thought I would ask BRS anyways. Their answer was no I should not use a fixture, but should use retrofit kits. The retrofit kits were designed for "passive cooling" under a canopy, the fixtures have "active cooling" which requires good air circulation and open space. Made sense to me. However, I have seen some builds on RC where fixtures are being placed under canopies. Use of fans and cutting out vent. areas help with air circulation, so I am sure it's possible, just not recommended by manufacturer(ATI anyways). I have also read through several LED panel's descriptions like maxspect razor that recommend a certain amount of space above the fixture as well for cooling. Personally, I am going to follow manufacture recommendations and use retrofit's which were designed for canopy use, and make sure if I go with LED's that I mount them to provide the proper amount of space. MH's, I am not sure about. Have not been considering using them, but they have sparked my curiosity recently, so I will be following your thread to see what others have to say

crazycolt42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Vanquishxxxx
Registered Member

Yes I have read the same thing on many units. Retro fits you can def find cheaper so I might look into them. I have two fixtures so would have been great to just use them

Vanquishxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote