Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 02:07 PM   #1
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

Thumbs up hi to all Newbie here

Hi Everyone,
i have spent the last 2 days reading some amazing and very informative posts/threads on here.
i was a tropical fish enthusiast, but due to my military career it became difficult to maintain. Now i am retired vet i have decided to try my hand at Marine reef/fish tanks instead of tropical, i know this is a bigger challenge for newbies but being an ex soldier we always like challenges lol
i have had water in my tank now for 2-3 weeks trying to get the PH etc balance right.
i only wished i had found this site earlier, i have been given the run around by so called experts who have only cost me money and no resolve.
i now have the new tank brown algae Diatom syndrome, on monday i shall be getting a better water testing setup, so any sound advice for this old Vet is much appreciated. i have listed below my basic tank setup and have a picture of it on my profile:
84″LX30″HX24″W MARINE TANK, volume 860 litres
1 Weir, 3 Holes in each weir (inlet 1x34mm & outlet 2x55mm) Removable combs Black silicone
Sump tank 50″x18″x17″ + TOP UP SECTION
Eheim Aquarium Heater 300W
Sump tank sock
Acrylic sock holder
UV Sterilizer TMC V2 Vecton 600
Bubble Magus Curve 9 Protein Skimmer
Wave maker RW-20 x 2
Jecod DCT-12000 DC Pump
Maxspect Razor LED Lighting System 120W (16,000K) x 3
Zetlight (LED) ZA1201 Sump light
Magic mud in centre section of sump with Chaetomorpha & Caulerpa racemosa
CristalProfi e1901 External filter

ExsoldierUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 02:15 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Welcome to RC and to the obsession!

And TY for your service.

It sounds like you are off to a good start. The only things I would consider changing are the use of "magic mud" and the Caulerpa racemosa.

Although I have never used it, it would seem like the mud is just a mess waiting to happen. I'm sure others will chime in on that.

The caulerpa is another matter entirely. If any escape (it will) and gets into your DT, you will never be rid of it. If it goes sexual, it will be everywhere in the blink of an eye.

The Chaetomorpha is a excellent method for controlling nutrient issues, but don't be surprised if it doesn't do well right away. At this point, you really should not have anything in there for it to live on.

Anyway - keep us informed (pictures please?) and keep the questions coming!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 03:04 PM   #3
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

Thumbs up thanks for the response

well i was not sure if i was getting it right because of the brown algae ,but after reading many of the threads it seems it is part of the normal cycle !!

well i am in no rush to put live stock in i just want to get the system running properly before i venture that far.
i shall remove the caulerpa. and lucky for me i put the magic mud in containers so that will be easy to remove.
Q. what would you recommend replacing the mud with some of the excess sand i have in my tank?
i shall take some pictures tomorrow when the natural light is better of my sump system etc
when do you recommend i start putting live stok in? i was thinking of maybe some cleaner shrimp and possibly some sand sifter gobbies i think they are called?

Unread 04/22/2017, 03:49 PM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Hello & welcome to the hobby. The diatoms will slowly disappear after the cycle is over, that depends on you & water parameters. I also wanted to use mud in my fuge, but heard negative reviews & positive reviews. Won't know till I give it a try. Sand shifter gobies will make your DT cloudy depending on sand. I waited 1 week after cycle with water change to add cuc live stock into my system

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 07:05 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

In the "refugium" area of my sump I put some extra live rock and the heaters. Otherwise bare bottom. Easier to keep clean that way

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 04/23/2017, 07:48 AM   #6
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

Hi Junbug361,

thanks for the impartial advise on the sump magic mud, i am also reading very mixed reviews on how good it is.
also the advise on the sand sifter gobies i will give them a miss as i have fine sand and that will deff go cloudy if they are that active, so good point and learning curve for me :-)

i am in no rush just good to know when i can expect things to change etc

Unread 04/23/2017, 07:54 AM   #7
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

Hi Billdog,
that sounds like a good plan on the refugium in the sump ! do you have any Algae in there like Chaetomorpha?
i was thinking of putting a layer of sand and some live rock in refugium so i can harvest the Chaetomorpha and also harvest the Copepods & Daphnia. ??

Unread 04/23/2017, 07:59 AM   #8
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

today my tank is slowly being taken over by the brown algae Diatom. tomorrow i shall purchase some better water testing equipment, to ensure i have my parameters correct.

then make necessary adjustment slowly to get it right if it needs adjustment of course lol

is it advisable to clean the algae off my aquascaping and glass or wait until it starts dieing off then clean ???

Unread 04/23/2017, 02:01 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Most of us like to keep the glass clean. It is much easier to see what's in there that way! There are several options for that - my personal favorite is the "flipper" magnetic cleaner. It has a soft side and a scraper side - I use the scraper side almost exclusively. Algae growing on the rocks means you are off to a good start. The only time to worry about it is if it is the type that looks like hair (google "Hair Algae, and "Bryopsis") Algaes of that sort can quickly get out of hand and are usually indicative of a nutrient or Nitrate/Phosphate issue.

As for test kits - I have used Salifert tests for many years and like them very much. They are easy to use, repeatable, and are about as precise as you need in this hobby.

Unread 04/23/2017, 03:18 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Let's get some info. Are you testing Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? What are the levels.

Welcome to reefing and I sure hope you enjoy throwing money into a big container of water in your living room! lol. We all do.

First rule of reefing - nothing moves fast so take everything slow. Yes, even slower than you thought. DO NOT be impatient.

Rule number 2 - periodically refresh yourself on rule number 1!

Rule 3 - ENJOY!

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Bikerharold
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby I have a 90 gal tank with a refugium. Have 2 filter socks in first area this overflows in my second stage where I have my heater and skimmer this overflows into third stage where I have more live rock and I use to have chaetomorpha in this stage as well and this goes over into fourth stage where I have my return pump.
Got rid of the chaetomorpha. It was getting into the fourth stage and blocked my pump.
I know most really like it but I found it to be a pain, got into everything. After removing I didn't notice a great deal of difference. Have added a two little fishes GFO canister and it has made a big difference in my tank. Also add carbon to that canister. Enjoy your tank and good luck.

Bikerharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 11:00 AM   #12
ExsoldierUK
Registered Member

Hi BikerHarold,
you say you have 2 filter socks, is that because you have 2 outlets going into sump ? i have 2 outlets but both run into 1 sock, found this works ok. i have my skimmer in the first section of my sump where my inlet and sock is, then just a couple of piece of coral rock with a small piece of chaetomorpha in the centre section, but i have foam media which stops and chaetomorpha escaping into my pump section, i also use this to stop any Copepods & Daphnia escaping before i want them too lol.

excuse my ignorance but what is a GFO Canister, i am still trying to learn the abbreviations lol

Unread 04/25/2017, 11:47 AM   #13
sde1500
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby, your tank is new, its going to be ugly as sin for a while with all sorts of random things growing, thriving, then dying. The ammonia cycle was just the first cycle. Now time to cycle through all sorts of diatoms, cyano, algae, more algae, and probably more algae.

GFO is Granular Feric Oxide. Absorbs phosphates which feed aforementioned algae.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 09:20 PM   #14
Bikerharold
Registered Member

I made my own sump have the water dump into one section then overflows into my 2 socks then goes into a separate section that holds skimmer next section holds a bunch of live rocks and this overflows into my pump compartment. After a year of play it seems to work. LOL As sde1500 said it is a slow process to get everything working and just as you have things just about perfect something else will pop up diatoms, red slime something.
Patience is a virtue. Go slow and enjoy. Wish I could take my own advise. LOL I find the GFO really helps.

Bikerharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 12:44 PM   #15
TYC
Registered Member

Welcome and like others said please be patient in this hobby and recognize that what works for others may not work for you. Having said that please research as much as possible and make informed choices that you feel would work for you. After countless hours researching online, its apparent to me that there are both good and bad advice out there.

First, read this article "Reefkeeping 101 - Bogus Information" to learn what's true vs false info. Reefkeeping 101 - Bogus Information

2nd, Melev has a very good & concise article about how to cycle. http://www.melevsreef.com/cycle Dont scrub the rocks while its turning brown, that's part of cycling.

NYSteelo has a ton of very educational videos on his YouTube channel, here's one that explains how sump works and how to set it up for maximum efficiency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgGamcu5C7g If you have time, please watch as much of his videos as possible. Very good source of info.

I subscribe to Deep Sand Bed (DSB) w Live Rock as excellent natural filters for aquarium, there are hobbiests who disagree about DSB but its worked for me. Kept a reef tank with just DSB & live rock without any skimmer. Ron Shimek explains it here http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

Good luck with your reef hobby at Old Blighty!

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 07:06 PM   #16
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Quote:
well i was not sure if i was getting it right because of the brown algae ,but after reading many of the threads it seems it is part of the normal cycle !!
Yes it is, but if it persists for more than three or four months or so, then invest in a reactor and some GFO, my friend!

Beautiful equipment you got there, especially your lighting and wave maker!

Your tank is now cycling itself out - this takes time!

Best thing you can do now - get a QUARANTINE TANK! Trust me on this one. You'll save yourself A LOT of heartache, AND headaches in the long run!

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service!

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote