Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2017, 09:00 PM   #76
TroyHoot
Registered Member

Ordered one today for my 75g. Looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully its mostly quiet.

TroyHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:53 PM   #77
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
That is going to be an insane amount of flow on a 32 cube. A Jebao RW-4 is plenty for that tank IMO.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I ran a Jebao PP-4, a Tunze 6015 and a Sicce 1.5 return on my 29g BioCube.

My 45g cube. I'm running 2 Sicce Voyager 3's (1200gph each) and a Sicce Syncra 4.0 Return Pump (950gph) and added a Gyre XF230, because in a 23x23x17" tank (Internal dimensions) 3350 gph was almost nothing.

I run an SPS only tank. There's a few nasty Acan's/Zoa's, but, well...

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 03:18 PM   #78
kendrid
Registered Member

Some of you have a lot of flow. I run a softie/LPS tank so crazy flow isn't what I am used to.

I received mine a few hours ago. My tank is an in wall along my office desk so noise is a big deal to me. At 50% it is silent, at 80% where I would like to run it I can hear it whirring.

With the controller it came with what I am going to do is run it at 50% during business hours, then crank it up at night so it can flush the tank. Without the advanced controller and it's programming capabilities I would probably have to send it back. Hearing a whirring noise while working is distracting to me.

I will report back in a few days to see if it quiets down once broken in.

My Jebao RW-8s and RW-15 (when it worked) were all dead silent even when I had my Apex ramp them up and down.

In regards to flow, this unit does not create enough flow for a 6' tank. It is great for what I need it for - creating an undertow and pulling stuff off of the sand. Along with two RW-8s I own it seem to be working great.

The manual is a joke and the controller takes some time to figure out. It could use another button or two to make programming easier.

Last edited by kendrid; 02/17/2017 at 03:24 PM.
kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 05:29 PM   #79
david.faik
Registered Member

IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Flow Pump

The Maxspect doesn't come with a foam guard but the same kind of fish net guard. I used the spares on my two Jebao units I have in another tank.

I found the Maxspect controller linking both mid sized units great in the tank where I have those set up. Really push and pull. Set so as one ramps up forward the other mirrors backward. This moves shed loads of water (on 40%) yet my polyps an in from the thing still love the flow and fully extend. (They get hit in waves by the slower reverse mode). The retailer advised not buying the smallest units, said less durable.

My bigger tank has the two CP40s plus some Vortechs, so synchronising not so necessary - everything just set very random.

They have only been in a few months but touch wood no quality issues (yet).

Find the flow very broad, and all can be positioned pretty near the surface without pulling down air, so in my tanks you don't see them as much as traditional pumps.

So far I'm delighted with both my fake and real ones. Gyre convert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Mostly tangs, soft & hard corals

Last edited by david.faik; 02/17/2017 at 05:35 PM.
david.faik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 05:40 PM   #80
david.faik
Registered Member

IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Flow Pump

@Kendrid ... check your fans aren't back to front. I did that. Matters it seems.
You should get lots of water movement everywhere, rather than the more pointed flow of a trad pump.
All my corals are leaning or swaying, rather than a few getting battered. Zoas loving it.
I run mine pointed along the surface, length of tank, rather than vertical. When my skimmer decides to make micro-bubbles I can really see all the motion, otherwise it's less obvious. Very quiet.

Current Tank Info: Mostly tangs, soft & hard corals
david.faik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 03:27 AM   #81
Ou8me2
Registered Member

I think the problem is people are expecting too much for a gyre pump which is a budget-friendly option without breaking the bank. It's not meant to be high end and have all the bells and whistles. If it was as good as the higher end maxspect gyre they would risk losing business. They are tapping and new kind of client who doesn't want to pay 300+ for the real deal, obviously it's a smart strategy IMHO. It also competes with the Jebao gyre which has proven to be very unreliable so far. If this gyre can be reliable then they have a winner in my book.

Ou8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 08:13 AM   #82
Dealseer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8me2 View Post
I think the problem is people are expecting too much for a gyre pump which is a budget-friendly option without breaking the bank. It's not meant to be high end and have all the bells and whistles. If it was as good as the higher end maxspect gyre they would risk losing business. They are tapping and new kind of client who doesn't want to pay 300+ for the real deal, obviously it's a smart strategy IMHO. It also competes with the Jebao gyre which has proven to be very unreliable so far. If this gyre can be reliable then they have a winner in my book.
I wasn't aware that there was a problem.

Dealseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:31 AM   #83
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Well its been a week since I've had the 3k. So far Im very happy with it but I havent settled on my exact programming requirements yet. I've been running the same 4 programs all week. How I've been running this in my RSM 250 is as follows.

Midnight-8am Gyre is off just the dual return pumps providing flow

8am-12pm Random Mode set to run up to 30%

12pm-4pm Alternating Gyre set to run to 40% forward for 2sec. and reverse to 20% for 2 min.

4pm-9pm Alternating Gyre set to run to 20% forward for 20sec. and drops to 10% forward 5min.

9pm-midnight Constant Flow set to 10%

This setup seems to provide some nice flow throughout my tank. I would like to run it on some higher settings, but my LPS and softies get pretty angry.

I did notice some noise from the pump @ 20% but that went away with in a couple of days, I think it just had to break in. The pump is very silent while running forward or reverse and I have to say Im very happy with it.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 11:46 PM   #84
kendrid
Registered Member

Update from my pump:

It does make noise even at 50%. The noise is way less than an Ecotech MP-40 but it isn't silent. I don't quite get how Jebao can make silent pumps but the big names can't. Most people probably wouldn't care but since I sit 4' from my tank 9 hours a day I want silent. I will be experimenting and adjusting more this week for those 9 hours.

I really like the fact the controller has so many programmable modes based upon time. During the hours I am near my tank I will be running it at 40% (or less) so it is quiet but at night I have it at 70% forward and reverse. The reverse gyre sucks up a lot of stuff off the sand. I have it near my overflow and it pushes a lot of stuff into the overflow.

Fun fact: the magnet says "Maxspect Gyre" in it. They didn't even bother to print new stickers.

For the price it is a good powerhead but I will say most of that is based upon the controller. With the original Maxspect controller I would not be happy with this powerhead.

Unread 02/20/2017, 11:47 PM   #85
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealseer View Post
I wasn't aware that there was a problem.
The Jebao gyre's are garbage IMO. I had two and both made cricket noises and were loud as hell besides that. I returned them and went with standard Jebao pumps (RW-8 and 15). If you search here you will also see early motor failures on those powerheads.

Unread 02/21/2017, 12:52 PM   #86
2dawghouse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
The Jebao gyre's are garbage IMO. I had two and both made cricket noises and were loud as hell besides that. I returned them and went with standard Jebao pumps (RW-8 and 15). If you search here you will also see early motor failures on those powerheads.
I have both the jebao cp40 (with the new gen 3 motor block) and now the new gyre xf250. I agree that the old motor blocks were crap but they put out some flow. The new motor blocks seem to be more low speed/high torque. They don't put out the flow of the old motor blocks but seem to last longer.

The gyre seems to be more of a broad/flushing flow and a humming noise on ramp up where the jebao seems to be more stream flow and whines as it ramping up.

Ever meet someone and think, this motherf@#$%er will be the reason I go to jail today

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, 3X250 HQI, 75 sump w/ refugium
2dawghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 03:15 PM   #87
TroyHoot
Registered Member

Anyone know how to disassemble the Icecap 3k for cleaning ? Not in the manual and not seeing it online anywhere.

Unread 02/21/2017, 03:17 PM   #88
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyHoot View Post
Anyone know how to disassemble the Icecap 3k for cleaning ? Not in the manual and not seeing it online anywhere.
I've only gone as far as to remove the cages and blade assembly. Just twist and pull. There is an O-Ring on the cage, the blade assembly can then just be taken out. But thats all the farther I've gone with it.

Unread 02/21/2017, 03:45 PM   #89
TroyHoot
Registered Member

ok thanks. The cages felt like they moved out a little. But I didnt want to pull too hard and tear it up.

Instruction manual said cleaning instructions were later in manual. But nada on cleaning hehe.

I got mine today. Its in the tank now at 100% constant. Trying to break it in. the whine is pretty bad right now. Hopefully that gets better over night. Will see.

Unread 02/21/2017, 03:47 PM   #90
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
ok thanks. The cages felt like they moved out a little. But I didnt want to pull too hard and tear it up.

Instruction manual said cleaning instructions were later in manual. But nada on cleaning hehe.

I got mine today. Its in the tank now at 100% constant. Trying to break it in. the whine is pretty bad right now. Hopefully that gets better over night. Will see.
Good deal. I set mine up to run random up to 60% I really only had noise at 20%. I like my 3k

Unread 02/21/2017, 04:33 PM   #91
Dealseer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post
Good deal. I set mine up to run random up to 60% I really only had noise at 20%. I like my 3k
Strange. Mine only has noise above 20%.

Dealseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 11:01 AM   #92
TroyHoot
Registered Member

Its still has a pretty audible humming today. Been chatting with Coralvue support. They say it takes a little time for the ceramic to break in and all the air to purge for the motor. Im running at 100% constant to break it in. I think it is a little quieter today though. Hopefully in a few days it will mostly be gone. Then I will play with placement and modes.

Unread 02/22/2017, 02:46 PM   #93
afish70
Registered Member

Quote:
Its still has a pretty audible humming today. Been chatting with Coralvue support. They say it takes a little time for the ceramic to break in and all the air to purge for the motor. Im running at 100% constant to break it in. I think it is a little quieter today though. Hopefully in a few days it will mostly be gone. Then I will play with placement and modes.
What size tank are you running it in? I heard people saying it was too much flow at 100%. I'm getting ready to buy one for my 90 mixed reef to help eliminate the Cyano issue I am currently having.

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 02:55 PM   #94
TroyHoot
Registered Member

75g. so same foot print. Yours is just a few inches taller. im cycling tank so only thing in it is rock and sand. 100% will be too much im sure. Im just trying to break it in first. It moves a ton of water.

Coralvue guy had me set it to alternating current. So i have it 10 seconds 100% forward. then 20 second slow down and ramp to 100% reverse for 10 seconds then 20 second ramp back up. He said this gives the motor a work out and should speed up the break in period. He didnt say run it at 100%, thats just what im doing.

Sound is getting a little better though. hopefully in a few days it will be mostly silent.

Unread 02/22/2017, 04:37 PM   #95
kendrid
Registered Member

Mine is still moving a lot of water fairly silently. Like another post said, when it ramps up and down you can hear it but it doesn't whine or chirp so it isn't too annoying. I used to have an MP-40 and from across the room I could hear it and my wife would often comment "you can you stand that noise?"

At 5 pm when I have it kick into 70% forward, 70% backward the backward flush pulls a lot of stuff off of the sand which is then blown into my overflow. Having it push water (and detritus) into my overflow is working great. When at 70% forward speed it does make my overflow a bit loud but it is worth it with the amount of detritus being pushed into my filter socks. This afternoon surge seems like it will keep my tank a lot cleaner. I tried doing similar with Jebao pumps and the Apex controller but it isn't the same.

Unread 02/22/2017, 08:13 PM   #96
Crabb
Registered Member

So I bought it for my 120 gallon. Got to agree with Kendrid, it does make a slight amount of noise. Of course, my tank is virtually silent though with my overflow and pump set-up into the basement. So the only other thing I hear is the fans cooling on my LED light. I gotta say it is a bit annoying, but as was mentioned, it's only really bad if running above 50%. Which I don't do simply because I have a softie tank and I don't need stuff closing up. Other than that, I love the quality for the price point.

Current Tank Info: Currently running: 120 Gallon Mixed Reef, 15 Gallon Basement RDSB, 25 Gallon Sump with Chaeto, Iwaki 70RLT return, Eshopps Skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon LED fixture, and steady as she goes .2ppm Nitrate...my proudest achievement!
Crabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:20 PM   #97
scuzy
Registered Member

Looks about the same got mine in yesterday. It moves lots of water. But man it makes a hum noise about 10% maybe it needs to break in.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:47 PM   #98
ericarenee
Registered Member

Thanks for the Reviews and opinions everyone..
I have 3 of them in my CART . Almost bought them today. But reading about the humming noises and with the Huge issue i had with the first gen gyre then the Cartography with the cross-wave.. I am a bit worried about these products .

First gen gyre . Impellers flew apart and broke.. Sent back to amazon because apparently others were having the same issue.... Cross-wave was just crap all the way around..

Thanks again ...

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:58 PM   #99
TroyHoot
Registered Member

As I posted above. I chatted with coralvue this morning. They told me its needs at least a few days to break in. He also suggested running it in alternating mode to work out the motor and speed up break in. Mine was very very annoying. Its still annoying, but getting better I think. But im ramping up to 100% and back to reverse 100%. Im hoping after a few days of this it will be alot quieter when i set it up for regular use.

Its the loudest thing in my system. I dont even have doors on my stand yet. Before the only thing i could hear was a slight hissing from the skimmer sucking air.

Unread 02/22/2017, 09:01 PM   #100
TroyHoot
Registered Member

forgot to mention. Build quality seems fine. Nothing seems cheap or easy to brake. I took screens off and impellers out to clean to see if that helped. All went back together fine.

I also ran it for about 15 seconds with only the motor. silent and could be. For whatever that tells us hehe.