Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

April 2017 Reefer of the Month (ROTM)-----jda!!!

Thank you for the honor.

I got into reefing in 1992 when I was just starting high school. There was a really small fish store in my hometown and I was trading in Victorian Cichlid babies and got enough credit to try some marine fish. I used to ride the fish home on my bicycle. I really loved that nobody else that I knew was into the hobby and when friends and family were around, they were completely blown away by the colors and movement.

I worked at a fish store in college and eventually got a very nice reef. I learned over these years that I could never mix a hobby with a business. To this day, I don't really ever sell anything and would rather give it away or trade.

I am mostly into SPS and clams. I like some circular zoas (rastas, hornets, etc.) for the sandbed. I do believe that stability is paramount above anything else. As such, I won't consider equipment or a method that has less than a five year track record of success at the highest level and without many iterations. I had a few stupid mistakes with some newer stuff that ended up failing - luckily it did not cost me. Even though I am not old, I end up using old school stuff.

I live in Colorado now which has new reefing challenges. The low humidity and cooler temperatures at night see about 75% of my reef costs in heat - I look for any way possible to double up on equipment to provide heat.

What keeps me in the hobby are the details and nuance that need to be understood to do this well - I try and offer some nuance in my posts that sometimes is received very well and other times is not. I also am incredibly loyal to my fish and corals - I have some fish that are well over ten years old and I will do anything to keep then alive and happy. My favorite fish are a Watanabei Angelfish, X Triggers, Chocolate Tang and Leopard wrasses.... of which I have many.

My one wish for the hobby is that the people who have disappeared online over the last five or ten years would come back and share their immense knowledge and experience.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Thanks for all you have contributed to making Reef Central what it is.

Description of RC ROTM:

In appreciation and honor of the members that regularly contribute to our discussion forums, we would like to acknowledge a Reefer each month that stands out as exceptional for their outstanding service to others. This person will be selected by the Reef Central Staff, based on their willingness to help others in response to questions, giving advice, and overall disposition. The honoree will be given the Reef Central ROTM tag, that will appear above their avatar and will follow them for one year after being awarded. This will not only demonstrate to others that you have been chosen as a trustworthy source of information, but also as a positive role model for others to emulate. Additionally, we are pleased to upgrade your membership to "premium" for one year.

We look forward to honoring one person, each month, by highlighting them in the Reef Discussion and New to the Hobby Forums. This will include a recent photograph of yourself, or your avatar if you prefer not to show your actual face, along with what you love about the hobby of reef keeping and why you have chosen Reef Central to be your home. Each month the face and paragraph of the ROTM will change, but you can forever hold the honor of knowing that you were one of the chosen few to have earned this title and our respect as a member in great standing.

Best Regards,

The RC Staff

Unread 04/02/2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I really appreciate all of your insights, jda! You consistently give sound advice based on your personal experience. You are not a bandwagon type of reefer/poster, and that is very much appreciated. Even though you are a youngster compared to me, you are a wise sage and Reef Central is lucky to have folks like you....thank you!!

Unread 04/02/2017, 11:41 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Congratulations!! You deserve it!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 07:28 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, well deserved. We may not always agree, but the debate is always fun.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 07:36 AM   #6
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Congrats!

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 08:19 PM   #7
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Congrats well deserved.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 03:57 AM   #8
Big E
Registered Member

Congrats Doug,

Well deserved and I applaud your perseverance...........keep on keepin on

"My one wish for the hobby is that the people who have disappeared online over the last five or ten years would come back and share their immense knowledge and experience. "

I'm with you, there were many good discussions over those years and plenty of learning/sharing.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 11:09 AM   #9
gone fishin
Registered Member

Congrats

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 04:43 PM   #10
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Absolutely well deserved!

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 04:52 PM   #11
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

congrats

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 11:11 PM   #12
locito277
Registered Member

Congrats! can we get a link to your build? Love the fish selections!

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 09:30 PM   #13
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Thanks.

I don't have a build thread. I built my tanks before build threads were a thing. Here is a breakdown of my reboot tank - I tend to reboot it every three years since that is how long it takes to get jammed full of colonies and then I move them on to new homes and start over. It is going to be hard to reboot it this time...
  • 240G Tank
  • 250W 14K Phoenix 14K x3 in AquaMedic 6' OceanLight and 150W 14K Phoenix x2 on the end to fill the last 12" on each side - the Pendant and open top make heat a non-factor
  • Mag 12 return pump
  • 1/2HP chiller (never runs) and 5x Ehiem 300W on Ranco Dual Stage
  • Decade old EuroReef 8-2 Skimmer with Sedra pump that will kick as much @$$ as anything made today
  • 80 gallon sump under the stand that is like 18x18x60 (or so)
  • Decade+ old Homemade Wavebox out of Tunze 6100 (will never have a tank again without a wavebox)
  • Decade+ oldPair of 6101s on a 4095 (I think? - the one with the knobs)
  • Korallin 3002 Calcium Reactor that I got in about 1995

That is all... no ATO or controller. I just rebooted this tank around Christmas from being nem, zoas and a HUGE Leng Sy Cap to being all old-school SPS - there is a Orange Passion in there, but otherwise Pearlberry is the newest frag... got some killer classics from Ed like the Mantis Purple Polyp, Westside Tort and other oldies that people forget about, but are so good. I have four different Purple Monsters - I just love them and EVERYBODY wants frags and it is good to have a backup or two. Everybody always wants Garf too when they see it in person and under Halides.

I have another 120G SPS only tank that is pretty much set up the same way, except that I keep two skimmers on it - I have found that two ER, ASM, RO skimmers work better than a single Bubble King at a fraction of the price. My second skimmer here is a tall LifeReef. I have a basement sump on this tank.

Big E - I understand why the talented people left... I don't like to argue with the bandwagoners and noobies about "best *thing* ever" after two months of use on a tank that is not even cycled yet. They also don't need anything. How do we get them back for even a few minutes each week to answer a few posts?

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 04:39 PM   #14
locito277
Registered Member

Love the old school approach! Would love to see some of those colonies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 07:46 AM   #15
cincyjim
Registered Member

Congrats!!! Would love to see some pics!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 06:00 PM   #16
kyliesreef
Registered Member

Congratulations!!! Like you i got into reefing in high (or secondary as we call it in england) school. Ive had various fish from being 2 but as soon as learned what they are i knew a reef tank was i knew that was what i wanted! Lol Anyway where are the pictures of this winning tank?! I can't wait to see

kyliesreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2017, 10:13 PM   #17
cfsg
Registered Member

Absolutely well deserved!

cfsg is offline   Reply With Quote