Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 07/26/2006, 05:27 PM   #976
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

I meant the good hitchikers I have too many of lol. Im going to try re-arranging some of my rocks again, but this time im going to attempt to stack them higher.

So heres a new question.

What kind of corals "get along" well with TBS hitchiking corals? Anything that I add is going to eb in very close proximity, if not touching the TBS coral. What have you found that works well? Anything that should really be avoided?

Is that a Tubinaria pelata in your last pic Smcnally? Thats the only thing Ive added to the tank so far and it seems to be doing great.

Unread 07/27/2006, 05:16 PM   #977
smcnally
Registered Member

Yes, it is. It has grown a lot since I got it. It was about 4" across when I got it in January, and it is about 6" across now.

Unread 07/27/2006, 06:50 PM   #978
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

So no ones had problems with other corals stinging their hitchhiking corals? Theres just no way Im going to be able to add anything without it touching them.

Im heading back to my LFS to get something new this weekend. I dont really trust the LFS employees, so I dont want to take their advice on waht to get. Id much rather hear it from you guys. I wanted to have a mixxed reef of a few LPS, some Zoa's, and a few softies. I may try one or two SPS eventually.

Take it easy,
Jesse

Unread 07/27/2006, 09:01 PM   #979
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Jesse,

I don't know of anyone that has examined what is more powerful than the TBS corals. It could be that mushrooms would hurt them, or zoas, or brain corals, etc etc. I would think zoas wouldn't directly hurt them, but could overgrow them, same with mushrooms. I know that my acan frag and my frogspawn both stung my TBS corals (tube corals) and killed them. So avoid those. I have not noticed other things hurting them, but I have a lot of space between my corals right now.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 07/27/2006, 11:43 PM   #980
W Ellis
Premium Member

Hello everyone. I am starting to setup my first SW tank and am very impressed with what i have seen from all your pics of TBS rock. I live only about 30 minutes from TBS and hopefully will be able to make it out to see them in the next couple of weeks. I am like a kid at christmas time.... I cant wait.

Unread 07/28/2006, 03:24 AM   #981
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

I found a strange new creature the other night a few hours after the lights went out. I decided to take out the flash slight and see if I could find anything new. I saw this strange thing on one of my rocks by a coral and a small anemone. It was about the size of a quarter. Reminded me almost of a gigantic flat worm.

I took the photos in the dark, so I appologize for the quality.

Anyone ever seen one of those before? Any idea what it is?

Unread 07/28/2006, 07:01 AM   #982
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi

I took the photos in the dark, so I appologize for the quality.

Anyone ever seen one of those before? Any idea what it is? [/B]
Jessie,

I normally don't like to recommend removal of a hitchhiker, but I have removed several of these from my tank, placed them in water and then froze them in the freezer. According to Dr Shimek they are polyclad flatworms. A large percentage of them are predatory on snails or clams. I never confirmed that with mine, but suspected them in my early round of clam deaths.

Here is the thread with Dr Shimek:

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic24...light=polyclad

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 07/28/2006, 07:45 AM   #983
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Brian - I've seen one of those in my tank also. How did you catch it?

jezzeaepi - I have not seen any thing hurting my TBS coral except the lights! They bleach easy under T5HO. I've actually lost a couple and I'm trying to move them down lower in the tank but not sure if this will help. Anyone else having this problem? I have zoo's, frogspawn and some green polyp toadstools close to the TBS coral and so far no stinging problems that I can see.

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 07/28/2006, 08:35 AM   #984
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Jay,

When I found them they were on the sandbed. I simply used a small cup to scoop them out of the sand.

I've also had a lot of my TBS cup corals bleach. I have moved them to the corners of my tank where my light levels are very low and they seem to have recovered with feeding.

Brian

Unread 07/28/2006, 12:06 PM   #985
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Ive had some bleaching too but I dont think it has to do with my PC's(192W on a 40gal). They seem to be sensitive to higher temps. Normally I keep the tank at 77. This summer we had a heat wave here in seattle. The tank hit 81.3 one day while I was gone at work. A small bleaching episode followed in about 5-10% of the tbs coorals. When I altered the flow in my tank the other day by changing my PH angle slightly and adding another pump, another one of my tbs corals started to bleach. They seem to recover with time and good feeding. One of mine in particular has bleached twice now, but keeps coming back. This TBS coral is on a rock that is dense like a brick, so I imagine that the rock held in the heat for longer then the water did, thus exacerbating that corals bleaching problems during high temp episodes.

Looks like ill be hunting polyclad tonight!...

Unread 07/28/2006, 12:23 PM   #986
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Brian & Jesse – Looks like I will be doing a little hunting tonight too!

Jesse – I forgot to say that I thought the pic’s you took of the flat worm were excellent! I have barely gotten a glimpse of mine!! I was hoping this thing was a good one because they are neat to watch.

I have kept my temperatures in the tank between 79 and 80 so that is probably not helping the TBS coral either!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 07/28/2006, 06:52 PM   #987
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

What kind of fish do you guys have in your tanks? Ive had the tank set up for almost 4 months now with no fish and Im ready to add a fish or two. I really want a mandarin. I have always viewed them as one of the most beautifull marine fish, but there needs for pods presents a challenge. I do not run a sump/refugium. My goal was to let the pods reach a level to where they could reproduce faster then the mandarin can eat them all. Have any of you had luck with this?
After 4 months my pod population is pretty huge(1000's). Id say its closing in on infestation lol. I cant look anywhere without seeing them. Can I add the mandarin?

Unread 07/28/2006, 07:15 PM   #988
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
What kind of fish do you guys have in your tanks? Ive had the tank set up for almost 4 months now with no fish and Im ready to add a fish or two. I really want a mandarin. I have always viewed them as one of the most beautifull marine fish, but there needs for pods presents a challenge. I do not run a sump/refugium. My goal was to let the pods reach a level to where they could reproduce faster then the mandarin can eat them all. Have any of you had luck with this?
After 4 months my pod population is pretty huge(1000's). Id say its closing in on infestation lol. I cant look anywhere without seeing them. Can I add the mandarin?
You will get all kinds of opinions on this issue, but in my opinion a 40 gallon is too small for a mandarin. I've read the minimum recommened size is 75 gallons and most people say 100+ gallons to have any long term success.

They also typically recommend an older tank, at least 1 year. I think a healthy mandarin could eat a pod population in a 40 faster than they could reproduce. I agree with you a mandarin is a gorgeous fish, but not the best choice for your tank.

Brian

Unread 07/28/2006, 07:41 PM   #989
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Dont a lot of fish eat pods though? a 75 with several fish that eat pods vs a 40 with one pod eater seems like the same to me /shrug.

Unread 07/28/2006, 09:10 PM   #990
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Dont a lot of fish eat pods though? a 75 with several fish that eat pods vs a 40 with one pod eater seems like the same to me /shrug.
Several fish that eat pods wouldn't have a very good chance of surviving in a 75 if that is all they could eat. Most people that have success with mandarins seem to have either very large tanks or are able to train their mandarins to eat prepared foods while still in a QT or have a large refugium to constantly supply pods to the main tank. Outside of those conditions the survival rate is pretty low. Gorgeous fish, but it has some special requirements for survival unfortunately

I've watched several threads where people with small tanks get a healthy pod population, plop a mandarin in, and 6 months later it has starved.

Not trying to be negative, just reporting what I've seen the last couple of years. I no longer have those threads bookmarked otherwise I would list them here.

Brian

Unread 07/28/2006, 10:16 PM   #991
jmait769
-CSHFLW

I have the following:

1 Sailfin Bleeny
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
1 Scooter Bleeny
1 Purple Dartfish

All bought in that order and I tried to get the smallest one they had. I was tempted also with the Mandarin but decided it looked like a lot of work to maintain IMO. The Hawkfish has eaten most of the visible pods!! I'm thinking I can only add one more fish to this tank. What do you think?

Jay

Unread 07/28/2006, 11:21 PM   #992
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
I have the following:

1 Sailfin Bleeny
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
1 Scooter Bleeny
1 Purple Dartfish

All bought in that order and I tried to get the smallest one they had. I was tempted also with the Mandarin but decided it looked like a lot of work to maintain IMO. The Hawkfish has eaten most of the visible pods!! I'm thinking I can only add one more fish to this tank. What do you think?

Jay
I don't see one more small fish being much of a problem in a 80 gallon, but that would probably be about it for that tank. What are the dimensions of that tank? I rarely hear of an 80 gallon.

I would vote for a partner for your clownfish, but that is just me

Brian

Unread 07/29/2006, 04:29 AM   #993
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

What smaller colorful fish would you recommend Brian? I only have 40g so not a ton of room.

Unread 07/29/2006, 09:18 AM   #994
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
What smaller colorful fish would you recommend Brian? I only have 40g so not a ton of room.
My favorite fish (the next one I'm going to add) is the yellow assessor (Assessor flavissiums). Stay small, are as colorful as yellow tangs, don't poop as much and even have a little blue and orange on their face and fins.

If you like blue, the blue assessor (Assesssor macneilli) is a good choice.

Both of those are available captive bred through ORA.

Another pretty fish is the sunrise dottyback (Pseudochromis flavivertex), but they can be aggressive and should be the last fish added.

You could look at Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum), although they might attack small shrimp (like sexy shrimp or a very small cleaner shrimp).

Also the Swissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre)

Of course there are the smaller species of clownfish and banggai cardinalfish that would do well.

Maybe a pygmy angel or potter's angel, but both can pick at corals.

You could try a longfin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis), but you'll need to get it eating prepared foods in a QT tank first and it should be the last fish added. Should be fed 2-3 times a day as well.

There is the Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
Neon Goby ( Gibiosoma oceanops)
Blackray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)
Firefish (purple and fire)

There are some others, but I think that is a good start.

With a 40 gallon you are probably looking at 3-5 fish comfortably if you have a short power loss.

Brian

Unread 07/29/2006, 11:21 AM   #995
skippy2
Registered Member

I would also recommend a yellow clown goby. They do perch on corals but are so small they do no damage. They have a great personality also. Mine is my avatar.

Current Tank Info: no tank
Unread 07/30/2006, 12:33 AM   #996
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

I went down to the LFS today to check out their fish and they said theyve had trouble getting them in the last few weeks with the heat because they arent shipping well. Not to mention I dont think they were prepared for last weeks heat wave and probably lost some stuff then. Their chiller wasnt big enough for their system I dont think. Guess Ill be waiting 2 or 3 weeks longer.

I went about moving some rocks today and I found that giant flat worm. Two of them in fact! They gave me the creeps.

Unread 07/31/2006, 08:48 AM   #997
techreef
Registered Member

Got Part I of my TBS live rock package last night. Picked it up at 10:30PM at Newark Airport. Only managed to snap one pic at the very beginning of the process of putting everything into the tank, because i was starting to worry that the rock had been boxed up for 12 hours+. Will post pics soon of the progress so far. I'm still trying to dial in my skimmer, as I just can't seem to keep the water level or bubble amount consistent yet. I'm hoping that it's due to it being a new skimmer.

As far as identified hitchhikers so far, I found a bunch of tiny brittle stars, a stone crab (gone), a tiny mantis shrimp (gone), a 2cm-long pistol shrimp sans pistols (i think, anyway) a couple lancelets, and a tiger goby! I thought the goby was a pale shrimp at first, but it was indeed a fish. Crazy. And everything is so TINY. Kind of a surprise after looking at so many great photos from other reefers' critters. And I gotta say, at 1:45AM, my patience for carefully plucking out shrimps/crabs that look cool but I know will be problems once they grow up was gone.

So I guess now I've got to go get a turkey baster and "dust off" my rocks. There's a fine sediment film on everything. Of the Part I rocks, I received three rocks that were about 17" wide and weighed about 35-40lbs. each, so there wasn't a whole lot of swishing that I could manage in the shipping water that came w/ the rock before I put the rocks in my tank.

Unread 07/31/2006, 09:56 PM   #998
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Wow a fish hitchhiker? nice! Post picks if you need help with an id.

Unread 08/02/2006, 07:51 AM   #999
techreef
Registered Member

whelk hitchhikers?

Hi everybody.

Has anyone else received their TBS rock w/ a bunch of whelk snails? Sorry, but I don't have pics, and I know ID'ing snails is nearly impossible, even w/ pics, a lot of the time. I've literally looked at hundreds of pics of whelks over on Dr. Shimek's website. The variety of phenotypes in the same snail's shell coloration and appearance is staggering. I know to look for the proboscus sticking out front, and a little dot for their eye on a separate "stalk," but I don't want to be picking out Nassarius snails from my display tank, only predatory snails.

The ones I have in my tank are all dark brown, with a shell that is pointy on both ends, shaped like a football. The proboscus elongates out of one of the two end points of the shell. They're crawling primarily over the rocks, on which I have a ton of live barnacles. I've read that nassarius snails stay on the sand bed, but the predatory whelks climb rockwork, so I'm thinking these are not nass snails. They range in size from 2mm to 1 inch. The proboscus has that black speckling "tatoo" appearance too. Should I be pulling these guys from my tank before they eat other animals?

Oh, and I found a 5" long cuke as another hitchhiker! He's just brown in color, but he's the king of the tank so far due to his size! I really hope this heat wave doesn't cook him, as our apartment's AC is struggling right now, and I'm not even running lights until tomorrow at the earliest, to try and keep the water temp down. I'm floating ice in the water each day. To say this heat wave is freaking me out re: my new tank is the understatement of the month...

Unread 08/02/2006, 07:51 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=898477

Closed Thread