Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2017, 12:43 PM   #176
Jenyphur
Registered Member

I bought the AI Prime HD from my local fish store Studio Blue. Also got the mount there but ended up buying a different one that I like better.

Here's the BAD news. I am sad to report that I had one of my clowns jump from the tank last night. I am heartbroken...Spike (and Molly) were my first fish. Ugh. I have heard from many people that they have never had issues with fish jumping.

They always sleep near the top so I guess something scared him into jumping. Breaks my little heart.

Now I"m not sure what to do. Is Molly going to be ok? Should I get her another one? I would love to get one that is already hosting an anemone and add both to my tank but not sure if this is a good idea.

Any suggestions?

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 01:07 AM   #177
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Oh no, that's so sad... I'm sorry to hear this. I lost my male too and was worried about my female as well. I bought a juvenile and they have been fine together over the last month. Just make sure he (will be a he) is much much smaller and they should eventually bond

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 03:18 AM   #178
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

As far as hosting, before you put the clown and the anemone in put the anemone in a bucket and place the clown right in the anemone and it should get all cozy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOOMANYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 02:45 PM   #179
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Just an update....

It's been awhile...so I figured it's a good time to update. Have had some new things added and sadly a few tragedies. So let's get the sad ones out of the way...

I lost my lawnmower blenny "Benny". I think he might have starved to death..I tried EVERYTHING but he always looked skinny. I tried Nori, garlic soaked, pellets, etc. He only liked the algae and did a great job. One day I found half of him in the clutches of 'Crusher', my too big emerald crab that is going back to the LFS as soon as I can catch him. He's HUGE.

A few corals that I lost...the purple gonipora that I had no business getting int he first place. I think it also killed the small torch and just recently the glorious pink goniopora that was doing sooooo GREAT in my tank for months.

My duncan has quadrupled in size....what was once a broken little frag is now a 4 headed colony and looking great.

My BTA which I thought was going to die because it turned white and basically hid for about a month after I had it for a month, has found a fantastic new 'home' and is looking all nice and pink/rose again. I am so happy. My one and only clown still has no clue or interest.

My one torch that I have had from the beginning that had 3 heads and then 2 head died, I kept it hoping the 1 head would recover. It sure did. It's huge and beautiful.

My newest guy is the "Bob" the Blue Spot Jawfish. I bought him about 6 weeks ago but couldn't bring him home because I took the hood off and have been waiting on a custom made one. Well I finally got it this weekend and Bob came home. I love him. I'll take some pics when he's settled in.

Everyone else is doing great. I love this tank. The algae is at a minimum and everything seems to be doing good/great (depending on the day).

Jen

Unread 08/14/2017, 02:48 PM   #180
Jenyphur
Registered Member

My little reef...

Unread 08/14/2017, 02:58 PM   #181
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Looks great
Love the coco worms

Unread 08/14/2017, 03:01 PM   #182
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Me too! So far very easy to keep.

Unread 08/14/2017, 03:08 PM   #183
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Glad your tank is doing good

Unread 08/14/2017, 04:24 PM   #184
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Thanks for the update! It's looking really awesome!

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 07:12 PM   #185
Nixy
Registered Member

Just read through your 19 pages of oats and love following it! You remind me of myself--excited about every little new development. I just started my 16g nano on July 22nd. No fish yet but I have a small CUC and I do have some polyps that hitchhiker in a live rock. It made it through the cycle and I've noticed a couple extra polyps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Just sitting and watching my tank like it's a TV."

Current Tank Info: 16G Nano Reef. Started 7-22-2017
Nixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 07:13 PM   #186
Nixy
Registered Member

Ugh. I don't have permission to edit my posts yet. Pages of "oats" should actually be pages of "posts"

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:14 PM   #187
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
Just read through your 19 pages of oats and love following it! You remind me of myself--excited about every little new development. I just started my 16g nano on July 22nd. No fish yet but I have a small CUC and I do have some polyps that hitchhiker in a live rock. It made it through the cycle and I've noticed a couple extra polyps.

Yes...it is all so exciting...I love to learn new things and this has been quite the journey. Best advice is go slow and steady..it will pay off in the end. Excited to see your progress.

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:34 PM   #188
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
Yes...it is all so exciting...I love to learn new things and this has been quite the journey. Best advice is go slow and steady..it will pay off in the end. Excited to see your progress.

I may just start a thread like yours. I started a blog but haven't done much with it. Will have to update soon.

Unread 08/15/2017, 07:23 AM   #189
homer1475
Registered Member

Nice looking tank, but I see a whole lot of nuisance corals that will overtake the tank eventually. Good luck!

As far as jumpers go, I've lost 2 clowns, a flame angel, and of all things, my mandarin!

Fish do jump regardless of what people tell you. Take for instance the mandarin. I have never seen it anywhere but at the bottom of the tank, forgot to put the lid on one day for roughly 2 hours, came home to find a dried up mandy on the floor.

Fish can and will jump regardless of species.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 09:21 AM   #190
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Nice looking tank, but I see a whole lot of nuisance corals that will overtake the tank eventually. Good luck!

As far as jumpers go, I've lost 2 clowns, a flame angel, and of all things, my mandarin!

Fish do jump regardless of what people tell you. Take for instance the mandarin. I have never seen it anywhere but at the bottom of the tank, forgot to put the lid on one day for roughly 2 hours, came home to find a dried up mandy on the floor.

Fish can and will jump regardless of species.

So far nothing has taken over...the larger GSP is actually not even attached to the rock it's sitting on so I can move it anytime. The smaller one down below is spreading but it's growing very slow. The Kenya tree is also on a rock that I can easily remove and 'trim' so I think I'm pretty good there.

I do have a very cool acrylic lid with air holes now and it's working nicely (so far). The holes are too small for any fish to get through (I think). Time will tell.

Sorry about all of your jumpers. It's so sad to find them that way.

Unread 08/15/2017, 01:24 PM   #191
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Here's Bob

Unread 08/15/2017, 01:26 PM   #192
Jenyphur
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/IH-vn5uNv9k

Unread 08/15/2017, 03:28 PM   #193
Jadams
Registered Member

awesome tank and new BDJF. Such a cool little fish!

Unread 08/15/2017, 03:54 PM   #194
Nixy
Registered Member

Ack! I love Bob! What a great capture. Cracks me up!

Unread 08/21/2017, 03:32 PM   #195
TexChuck
Registered Member

Hi Jen - your tank is looking fantastic!! I love all the growth!! Sorry about your losses...

Bob is pretty great Keep it up and thanks for the update!

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:05 PM   #196
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexChuck View Post
Hi Jen - your tank is looking fantastic!! I love all the growth!! Sorry about your losses...

Bob is pretty great Keep it up and thanks for the update!

Thanks so much! Nothing new to report really other than BOB is seriously the coolest fish in town. He has 3 'homes' in my tank and loves to change it up every couple of days. He loves building the rocks around him and is on guard every day. I love him!

Everyone is doing great and I am loving the acrylic top that my local fish store made for me!

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:08 PM   #197
Jenyphur
Registered Member

So I'm sad to report I lost Bob. I went out of town for a few days for a business trip and when I got home, I found what remained of his body. So sad. But I will say for about the past month, he appeared to be blind. Food would drift right by him and it's like he could smell it but couldn't see it. I had to hand feed him every day and as long as I put the food directly in front of him, he was eating and doing his thing.

I will get another one eventually but for now, I've decided to hold off for a bit. I did go ahead and decide to get a yellow watchman goby for the pistol shrimp I have had for about 6 months now. The one I bought with him didn't make the online trip. I was so nervous adding him as for the first 6 hours, he swam around a lot ..mostly at the top acting like he just wanted out of the tank. I woke up the next morning thinking I would

One of my mushrooms is the size of a softball...maybe even bigger. It started as the size of a quarter. Oh and it has 5 babies now. Also my toadstool is massive and one of my favorites as well as my Japanese toadstool.

find him dead as he seemed stressed but in fact I couldn't find him at all. I thought maybe the crab got him or something.

Yesterday I brought home a new addition a neon dottyback and when I added him to the tank I got a peek of the Pistol Shrimp and the YWG in the same burrow. It was awesome. I can't believe they found each other. I never really get to see the shrimp as he barely comes out for me to essentially hand feed and is gone again until the next day.

I have a lost a few corals and some have really taken off. This hobby is so confusing. Ugh.

Still loving this hobby and going to be adding a few new corals to the tank soon to offset the ones I have lost.

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:37 PM   #198
clownfish4
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about Bob, but your tank looks amazing! Corals are definitely frustrating, they are very finicky, so even if you have perfect conditions for a hundred species you won't be able to grown a hundred other species. I've been in the hobby for ~15 years and majored in marine bio and I'm still always learning and being surprised. I absolutely love the hobby, but I'm always trying to find ways to minimize any potential losses.

Keep up the good work!

clownfish4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:09 AM   #199
homer1475
Registered Member

You do know a dottybacks main diet is ornamental shrimps? Not sure if that includes the pistol or not though.

With that said, my ORA electric neon dottyback was a model citizen and never bothered my cleaner. It would actually let the cleaner clean his gills.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 07:35 AM   #200
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Ugh...no I didn't know that. So far he is the one being bullied a bit by my clown and pygmy angel. He hides a lot so hopefully all will be ok. I'm going to keep an eye on him though.

Bad on me for not doing more research