Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2017, 05:49 PM   #1
spec33
Registered Member

Reversing lighting schedule?

So I am going to be going on vacation for a week and the only thing that has me worried about my pico tank is the temp. Over the tank is a 20watt 50/50 bulb that gets fairly hot which then heats the tank. So normaly with the light on and no ac on the tank will get upwards of 85 or higher..When the ac is on the tank stays around 78. This isnt an issue though if the light is off.

I was wondering if switching the lighting schedule to be during the night when the house is much cooler would work. Would it have any ill affects on the coral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spec33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 06:11 PM   #2
journeyman
Registered Member

I run my tank from 3-11 so I can enjoy it after work hours. I don't notice any ill effects. I keep the room dark and shades closed when I'm at work. So the fish sleep most of the day

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 06:45 PM   #3
neilp2006
Registered Member

Personally, is calculate the money cost of leaving the ac going fir the week, compared to the monetary, emotional and physical loss of a tank crash due to cooking everything. I would pay hundreds of dollars not to smell a cooked tank ever again.

Alternatively, a $40 dollar dual mode heater controller hooked up to a couple of 6 or 10 inch desk fans would click on and drop your temp a few degrees when needed. Needs an open top to promote the evaporative cooling with the fan though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:09 AM   #4
SAT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp2006 View Post
Personally, is calculate the money cost of leaving the ac going fir the week, compared to the monetary, emotional and physical loss of a tank crash due to cooking everything. I would pay hundreds of dollars not to smell a cooked tank ever again.
+1. You might also think about investing in a chiller.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote