Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 12:14 PM   #26
reefergranny
Registered Member

I thought it time to update the report on my new reef since a week has passed since adding part two of the "package". I could not be more pleased! The ammonia rose to 1 ppm the first day and I monitered and did two partial water changes. By day three it has leveled at .5 ppm and by day four was down to .25 with no further water changes. By day five it was 0 ppm. I added a lawnmower blenny on day five.

Everything is springing to life! There are abundant tunicates and sponges in many colors, feather dusters, several small anemones and the two beauties that were included with my package, lots of varieties of macroalgae and some amazingly gorgeous gorgonians that were part of my package. I am feeding the reef with plankton and evrything comes to life seconds after adding the plankton to the tank.

I am so amazed at the amount of life on my rock that I have decided to keep the reef a Florida species reef. For now I don't need to add anything more. It will be an adventure just watching what crawls out of the rock as well as what grows on it. So far there are at least half a dozen varieties of little crabs including a couple tiny gorilla crabs that are too small and too fast to catch. I have removed a number of small whelks as well but no mantis has made an appearance. A tiny black urchin has appeared that is about 1/4 inch diameter. He is so cute but has disappeared into the rock pile again.

I was really impressed with how well the rocks fit together too. There were even some smaller rocks included with macroalgae on them that were just the right size for my HOB refugium. They are showing lots of new growth too. My reef is amazing!

Can anyone help me with what species of fish are Florida natives that would be small enough to make a home in a 40 gallon reef?

Thanks to Tampa Bay Saltwater for the best reef of my life!

reefergranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 12:23 PM   #27
reefergranny
Registered Member

Pictures after 1 week

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

reefergranny is offline   Reply With Quote