Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Gladmaker
Registered Member

I'm amazed - my Clownfish is hosting

I got a small bubble anemone from Liveaquaria today. I checked it a couple of hours later and my largest Clown is hosting it. I had tried to put the anemone on a rock, but it just got blown around, so I put it on the sand close to a rock. It climbed up on the rock in a hole that goes through the rock. The clown will swim through the hole and host on the anemone. I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

Gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Now that anemone has gone to the back side of that hole in the rock and is between rocks. Should I let it alone to go where ever even though it will be out of sight or should I dig it out and put it back in the open area?

Unread 07/14/2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Cliving1
Registered Member

Dont move the anemone unless you absolutely have to. They will find a place that makes them happy.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Dont move the anemone unless you absolutely have to. They will find a place that makes them happy.
I understand that they will find a place that makes them happy, but if I can't see it, how will I be able to feed it? I just got it yesterday, but I'm afraid it will disappear among the rocks.

Unread 07/14/2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Doge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
I understand that they will find a place that makes them happy, but if I can't see it, how will I be able to feed it? I just got it yesterday, but I'm afraid it will disappear among the rocks.
Anenomes don't need to be fed. The light is all they need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 02:02 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I got a small bubble anemone from Liveaquaria today. I checked it a couple of hours later and my largest Clown is hosting it. ...
You mean the anemone has attached itself to the clownfish and he is dragging it around through the tank?
That would be the only way for the fish to host an anemone.
Otherwise, the only things clownfish may host are parasites.

More likely it would be the anemone that is hosting the clownfish - not necessarily willingly as the word's correct meaning implies.

Correct would be: "the clownfish has accepted the anemone as a host."

The correct use of words matters!
Otherwise you may end up with Orwellian "newspeak", "doubletink" and "truthspeak" where "peace" is war or the truth becomes "fake news" and propaganda lies "real news"... and that would be extremely "ungood".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
You mean the anemone has attached itself to the clownfish and he is dragging it around through the tank?

More likely it would be the anemone that is hosting the clownfish - not necessarily willingly as the word's correct meaning implies.

Otherwise you may end up with Orwellian "newspeak", "doubletink" and "truthspeak" where "peace" is war or the truth becomes "fake news" and propaganda lies "real news"... and that would be extremely "ungood".

Ahh - I see the word police are active.
The clownfish is not dragging it around but rather following it around. It's now out of sight but the clownfish is going in and out of the area.
I did not intend to say something that would be extremely "ungood".

Unread 07/14/2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Anenomes don't need to be fed. The light is all they need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I got this from Liveaquaria and thought they said to feed it. I checked again and this is what is says "Its diet should include chopped fish, shrimp, or worms if a clownfish is not present." I guess if a clownfish is present, I don't need to feed it. It also says they need bright light, but where it is under/between rocks, it isn't getting much light. I'm hoping it can find it's way out of that area.

Unread 07/14/2017, 06:03 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I found that most anemones do better when fed once or twice a week. General rule of thumb is that if it eats when you feed it, you should feed it.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 07/14/2017, 06:38 PM   #10
LefkoNJ
Registered Member

If a clownfish is hosting not sure you have to feed it. Watch for a few days and see if the clownfish pulls food into it. I have a RTBA that is hosted by my maroon pair and don't feed the anemones at all, and they have split 6 times.

LefkoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 06:53 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You would need to feed rather large chunks that the clownfish can't swallow to even have a chance to have them bring it to the anemone.
And then there is the issue that anemones really don't eat large bites in the wild. Their primary food are mysis shrimp, fish larva, copepods and similar plankton organisms. If an anemone by chance catches something bigger it often spits it out only partially digested.
Since large chunks may start rotting on the inside before being digested you also run a risk to get your anemone sick.
I generally feed my anemones with the same mysis I feed to the fish.

Unread 07/14/2017, 06:57 PM   #12
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LefkoNJ View Post
If a clownfish is hosting not sure you have to feed it. Watch for a few days and see if the clownfish pulls food into it. I have a RTBA that is hosted by my maroon pair and don't feed the anemones at all, and they have split 6 times.
The problem I have now is it's where I can't see it.

Unread 07/15/2017, 04:09 AM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

If the anemone is stressed from shipping feeding will help it recover. If you want a larger anemone then feed your it. If the anemone is at the size you want then don't feed it.

Obviously if anemone eat, feeding it will help it do better and grow. Just because it won't die without feeding does not mean that it should s heathier without feeding.

Clownfish hosting the anemone sound strange. Most people will know what you mean but it is the same as my house living in me. If this make me a word police so be it. BTW, it sound wear to me even if English isn't my native language .

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 04:40 PM   #14
oahureefer
Registered Member

Orionn is very knowledgeable and I agree with what he said. However I no longer feed any BTA. I started with 1 and it got very big very quick, then I had 2 and they got big very quick now I have 4 and I no longer feed and they are still growing just not nearly as quick.

Give it time and it will move where it can get light. Also they like to put their foot in holes in the rocks. I always place them in a hole in the rock and then they attach and come out within a few days.

oahureefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 10:48 PM   #15
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Oh snap... Who called the cops!? Hahaha. Your nem will be just fine. He is going to hide for a bit as he acclimates to your tank, then he will be moving about to find his spot and will then get his routine down. He will be coming out for light and for food. I feed mine about 1 or 2 times a week (krill) and he is very happy. Feeding them isnt necessary unless you are trying to get them to grow quickly. Mine has his foot anchored deep in the cave where he retracts every night and extends all the way out during the day. First picture is my tank with him retracted and second is when he's out. Congrats on your clowns being hosted, that's awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 01:03 AM   #16
mrdss
Moved On

Feather Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

My FIRST setup was live rock 1 Feather Duster and 1 Clown fish. The clown irritated the feather duster so much that it popped its feather off and regrew elsewhere.

So, my question was the feather duster dragging the clown around ? Or did the clown CHOOSE to host the feather duster and NOT the other way around ?

mrdss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 07:25 AM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

The clowns choose to reside in the Feather Duster. The one that choose, doesn't mean that it is the host.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 05:46 PM   #18
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
The problem I have now is it's where I can't see it.
My first attempt at a BTA, it attacked my torch, so I moved it. It became unhappy and started to wander leaving path of destruction until it gave up and died - dissolving into a sea of toxins that took out my LTA.

I recently went back to the well and let it settle on it's own. While I had to move an SPS way from it, it did settle on the top right side of my tank - very nice spot where I could see it and feed it. It was so happy it split - not great for a nano where real estate is at a premium. But the twins decided to be neighbors and live side by side.

I had given up trying to get my clowns to accept it as a host - best to leave an anemone happy where it is. However, a few weeks ago, the smaller male decided to start visiting the anemones. Each day spending more time with the hosts. The larger female, soon started to visit to my delight.

Bummer your is out of sight right now. Be patient. Bad this happen when you rush in this hobby and an unhappy anemone can make you a lot more unhappy than being bummed that it's hiding.

It's taken me more than 2 1/2 years to finally be able to enjoy having anemones hosting clowns - as a result of me doing nothing.

let them be. The good news is they are bonding - it's not uncommon for clowns and anemones to never bond in a tank.

Last edited by NS Mike D; 07/19/2017 at 05:51 PM.
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote