Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2017, 03:09 PM   #1
slyseekr
Registered Member

Finding a Malu Anemone

Hi All, back in the hobby after a few years away, in search of a Malu Anemone, and, was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction (of a supplier or even a broker)?

I've been scouring eBay, google, and the typical online shops for any Malus and it seems like iBlueWater is the only online retailer that consistently has Malu's in stock, but their selection is pretty expensive...

Many NYC/BK LFS don't seem to have any clue what Malu's are — most here only stock BTAs — and the ones that seem to know mentioned that they're mostly available seasonally. Any truth to that??

Cheers!

slyseekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 08:40 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

You can request email notification here:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...637&pcatid=637

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 08:52 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Some things can be kinda seasonal as what weather is like in the region they are collected, so I know for me Malu's have come w/ some searching sometimes, check local clubs/forums(like the one here on RC for local area clubs) and follow divers den, or check a quality LFS to see if they can order one for you.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 04:33 PM   #4
anemoneguy
Registered Member

i thought i saw some on pacificeastaquaculture.com

anemoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 07:04 PM   #5
slyseekr
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

@anemoneguy, I was pretty curious about those "Mystery" anemones, but don't want to take that chance – tank space is valuable (I've got a IM 30L) and both of the ones they've got listed are pretty big. They're pretty stunning nonetheless!

@OrionN, definitely set up email alerts from LA. But, managed to get a response from a LFS today that they'll be on the lookout for any available Malus from their vendors, so hopefully something will bite!

I did drop by another LFS today and came across this nem. I'm pretty sure its a H. crispa, but I'm no expert. Any guesses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 07/11/2017, 09:46 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I think you are in luck. I think it is a Malu. If you see the group of color tentacles, 5 groups of them evenly divided near the perimeter of the anemone. This is the characteristic of some Malu.
Crispa does not stay in the sand. This anemone seem to dig into the sand. Even if it is a Crispa, just don't feed him once he got to the soze you want, and he will not out grow your tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/12/2017, 07:25 PM   #7
slyseekr
Registered Member

Thanks @OrionN, decided to go back to the LFS today and take a chance. The anemone is settling into the tank.

To note if this helps clarify on the identification:
- The anemone's foot is speckled red and white
- The foot's column is definitely sticky, so thinking it's definitely sand dwelling
- The foot itself seems to be relatively narrow compared to the oral disc (~40-50%). I've read H. Crispa' foot is closer in size to its oral disc (correct me if I'm wrong)

Overall, it's a bit bleached, but hopefully it settles in and starts to recover. I'll be watching it closely the next few days.

Unread 07/22/2017, 06:15 PM   #8
Pericyte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseekr View Post
Hi All, back in the hobby after a few years away, in search of a Malu Anemone, and, was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction (of a supplier or even a broker)?

I've been scouring eBay, google, and the typical online shops for any Malus and it seems like iBlueWater is the only online retailer that consistently has Malu's in stock, but their selection is pretty expensive...

Many NYC/BK LFS don't seem to have any clue what Malu's are — most here only stock BTAs — and the ones that seem to know mentioned that they're mostly available seasonally. Any truth to that??

Cheers!
Little late, but if you were looking for a second one, liveaquaria has them for sale/ in stock!

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 06:39 PM   #9
slyseekr
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up and actually good timing. I might snatch one up from LA.

The anemone I'd bought had been doing very well, planted its food deep under the rock I'd chosen for it, colored up nicely and stayed put for about a week. I thought I'd gotten really lucky!

The last couple days it decided to go wandering, and sadly, I came home from work last night to discover it had decided to go surfing and met up with my gyre. It must have been in the pump all day as it had shrunk to a small fraction of its size.

Anyways, here's the last photo I took of it.

Unread 07/22/2017, 06:45 PM   #10
Diana A
Registered Member

Sorry to read. Yes, you have to cover your pumps with foam for a couple of weeks to avoid death.

Unread 07/22/2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Pericyte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyseekr View Post
Thanks for the heads up and actually good timing. I might snatch one up from LA.

The anemone I'd bought had been doing very well, planted its food deep under the rock I'd chosen for it, colored up nicely and stayed put for about a week. I thought I'd gotten really lucky!

The last couple days it decided to go wandering, and sadly, I came home from work last night to discover it had decided to go surfing and met up with my gyre. It must have been in the pump all day as it had shrunk to a small fraction of its size.

Anyways, here's the last photo I took of it.

Sorry to hear that. I hope the one from LA works out better.

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 06:05 PM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

I had guessed that was actually a crispa, which would make sense setting foot under rock, and perhaps reaching out or stretching out or even moving up for all the light it could get, a malu is normally much more in just sand, and not nearly as light needy

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 07/24/2017, 10:53 PM   #13
slyseekr
Registered Member

While it did wander, the anemone trudged through the sand the entire time and never set foot on a rock.

I think it released its foot because it ran into a rock that was blocking its path through the sand... basically tried to force the rock out of its path for a day and probably decided it didn't want to circumnavigate to get to where it wanted.

Though, I was wondering for a bit there if it was an LTA instead of a Malu mostly because of some red coloration in its foot, and the spots underneath the oral disc.

Unread 07/25/2017, 06:10 PM   #14
slyseekr
Registered Member

Received the LiveAquaria Malu today and it's now adjusting to its new home. Really interesting color combination with green tentacles and a purple/lavender oral disk/base. This thing is definitely large, and very different than the previous nem.

It definitely expelled some of its zooxanthellae in its cross country journey and its mouth was pretty much fully extruded when it arrived. It's foot was pretty sticky thankfully (didn't observe any damage) and it's already starting to tuck its mouth in after a few minutes in the tank.

Hopefully this guy stays put, and I'm really excited to see how it colors up. I'll keep posting updates with its progress!

Unread 07/25/2017, 06:38 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

I also got 2 supposed H. malu from LA today also. Mine was in better shape than yours I think. I think the ones I got are actually H. crispa instead of H. malu. It is really too bad because I don't want Crispa. I specifically wanted Malu. Here are the picture of my two anemones, as soon as I put them into the tank, and after several hours.

Wish me luck. I think I will wait until they are healthy before I can determine for sure that they are Malu Or Crispa. I am 95% sure that these are Crispa.

Anemone #1 on arrival

Anemone #1 after several hours

Anemone #2 On arrival

Anemone #2 after several hrs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaluLA01.jpg (96.8 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg MaluLA02.jpg (94.4 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg MaluLA04.jpg (95.6 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg MaluLA03.jpg (103.4 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 07/25/2017 at 08:04 PM.
Unread 07/25/2017, 07:23 PM   #16
slyseekr
Registered Member

Great to know they had more than 1 potential Malu in stock. I had asked for their smallest specimen and seems like they definitely listened as yours look a bit larger.

Definitely good luck that your 3 turn out to be the real thing (crossing my fingers for mine as well).

Mine's gone through a couple inflation/deflation cycles and has attached partially to the rock, hopefully it chooses to stay in the sand.

Unread 07/25/2017, 08:00 PM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah I'd say Minh's certainly look like crispa to me as well.

Unread 07/26/2017, 06:52 PM   #18
slyseekr
Registered Member

Update:

The anemone's filled out and is a MONSTER! A good 10 inches across and gorgeous. The foot has dug deep into the sand. Seems healthy though and the Ocellaris clowns have taken to it quickly.

Based on the previous anemone, I'm assuming it's still adjusting to the tank, and it may expel a bit more water and thin out before it's fully settled, so it may be about 10-20% smaller.

Right now, I'm thinking about adding a 3rd AI Prime HD to help provide full coverage on the tank and minimize shadows created by the rocks.

Apologies about the top down image, I didn't turn off the gyre before taking the shot.

Unread 08/05/2017, 01:00 PM   #19
slyseekr
Registered Member

Updating on my tank.

Ultimately decided that the LA Malu was far too large for the tank, and re-homed it with another local reefer last weekend and continued my search.

Ended up passing by Petco yesterday and came across a nice/healthy looking and perfectly sized "Sebae" (their label), which had some potential to be a Malu. It's now re-homed, and hopefully the third time's the charm!

One last bit/question as well (last 2 pics). Petco had labeled this tiny (2.5" diameter) carpet anemone as a maxi-mini for $25. Their staff said it had literally been out of the shipping bag for an hour. I'm thinking it might be an S. mertensii, or possibly a S. haddoni. In either case, it'll likely outgrow the tank in a year or so. Any thoughts on its species?

Unread 08/05/2017, 04:54 PM   #20
pfan151
Registered Member

Last one is an Atlantic carpet (Stichodactyas helianthus). Another strike. Can't believe you gave up that first one. Tough to find malu's that nice.

This is the one you got rid of?

Last edited by pfan151; 08/05/2017 at 05:01 PM.
pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2017, 05:16 PM   #21
slyseekr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
This is the one you got rid of?

Nope, that's the current one. The one in post 18 was rehomed. Just way too big for the tank, a full 10" across and not much more room to accommodate any growth, it's gone to a 125 gallon tank.

Thanks for the clarification on the carpet as well. Wasn't banking on a mertensii, and, seems to be happy in the tank so far (also nice to know that it won't grow to 36").

Unread 08/05/2017, 06:23 PM   #22
OrionN
Moved on

Likely the one that you re home would be OK. At 10 inches he will not grow any. Max size for Malu.