Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2012, 06:30 PM   #401
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

AJ, love the updated pics. Things are looking great.

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 05:28 PM   #402
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX..r33f View Post
Awsome tank!! can i ask a question in your opion whats the best store to get live stock from? City pets, T&T ,Aquatic World? i am looking for a good place to buy healthy livestock. i have herd good things about aquatic world. i usally go to city pets ,but i am willing to try somewere new. Once again awsome tank

Thanks.

I need to pull out the better camera & figure out how to get the exposures right with the tank lights. I am going to order a macro lens this week to get better pics. It looks alot better in person seeing the whole 10' at one time.

T&T & FJW are the best IMHO for corals & fish.
City Pets good for equipment
I do not care for aquatic world.
B&B for good common fish.
Fish gallery is new & suprisingly pretty good prices.

All but 2 of the SPS are grown frags from fellow hobbiest.

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 05:45 PM   #403
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
AJ, love the updated pics. Things are looking great.
Thanks!

I have to get the 2 diamond gobys out, they are tunneling thru the tank & stirring up all kinds of particles.

Unread 06/08/2012, 06:46 PM   #404
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Been there and done that. Gobys can be quite frustrating and really hinder polyp extension if they constantly dump substrate on anything. Good luck catching them!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 06/24/2012, 07:03 AM   #405
lilc64
Registered Member

Man seeing a tank like this makes me ask myself why i wasted time with fresh water set up, once my house is done it all saltwater from here on.

lilc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2012, 09:07 AM   #406
AJT
Registered Member

Thanks,

I have been adding alot the past few weeks. I'm taking the plunge & ordering a macro lens so I should be able to get some good pics next week. Tank has really become enjoyable with all the corals growing & fish schooling.

Unread 06/24/2012, 09:14 AM   #407
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilc64 View Post
Man seeing a tank like this makes me ask myself why i wasted time with fresh water set up, once my house is done it all saltwater from here on.
I've seen freshwater planted tanks that rival the most beautiful reef set ups.

Not taking anything away from the OP's tank, as its gorgeous and a great endeavor...but you until you see some of the beautiful planted tanks, you cant just dismiss freshwater tanks.

AJT
How's you're S.gigantea anemone doing?

Nick

Unread 06/24/2012, 09:22 AM   #408
AJT
Registered Member

How's you're S.gigantea anemone doing?

Crawled into the rocks never to be seen again. I will not make that mistake again. Looking for a haddons. (haddoni?)

Unread 06/24/2012, 10:00 AM   #409
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Haddoni's are much easier to keep, but you ABSOLUTELY want a pair (or more) of large, mean, territorial clowns to chase all other fish away from the anemone....or you will begin to lose fish to it.

If you add a Hadonni anemone in this tank, I would avoid adding expensive tangs or angels until you get the guard dog clowns in place....

H.crispa can be an attractive anemone as well which is not as difficult to keep as S.gigantea or H.magnifica, and is not anywhere near as notorious a fish eater as S.haddoni.

I've seen H.crispa anemones that are over 3 feet in diameter and absolutely gorgeous in color..... You'll have to be patient to get one though.

PM sent as well.

Nick

Unread 06/24/2012, 11:01 AM   #410
AJT
Registered Member

OK, I am on the lookout for a Large Pink or other bright color Crispa. If anyone knows or has seen one for sale pls let me know.

Unread 06/30/2012, 09:09 AM   #411
AJT
Registered Member

Any suggestions for a UV steralizer?

The only place I can see to install one is outside in the chiller enclosure. The flow is slowed thu the chiller & it would be easy to plumb in since that is the only place flexible hose is installed in the plumbing.

All suggestions appreciated.

Unread 06/30/2012, 09:57 AM   #412
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Awesome thread, nothing better than reading about saltwater and horsepower!!!

Beautiful tank...beautiful cars...well done sir...you've take most little boy dreams and made them into reality. Congradulations on all your success!!!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 10:22 AM   #413
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Any suggestions for a UV steralizer?

The only place I can see to install one is outside in the chiller enclosure. The flow is slowed thu the chiller & it would be easy to plumb in since that is the only place flexible hose is installed in the plumbing.

All suggestions appreciated.
I have been very pleased with my UV Sterilizer that I purchased from Emperor Aquatics. I have the 50 watt Smart HO UV on my 150 gallon tank and purchased another 120 watt Smart HO UV for my new system.

You can plumb the UV Sterilizers horizontally or vertically.

Their customer service is top notch!

Unread 06/30/2012, 10:40 AM   #414
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfishLpond78 View Post
Awesome thread, nothing better than reading about saltwater and horsepower!!!

Beautiful tank...beautiful cars...well done sir...you've take most little boy dreams and made them into reality. Congradulations on all your success!!!
Thanks, it has been a little boy dream that finally is reality.

Thinking about this tank since I was 11yrs old. (36 yrs). I wanted to set it up with all the best equipment, yet functional & easy to maintain.

Unread 06/30/2012, 10:43 AM   #415
AJT
Registered Member

I ordered the Cannon Macro lens so I should be able to get some good shots next week when it comes in. The price was a lot to swallow & justify. Could have bought alot of livestock for the price of the lens...

Unread 06/30/2012, 10:45 AM   #416
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
I have been very pleased with my UV Sterilizer that I purchased from Emperor Aquatics. I have the 50 watt Smart HO UV on my 150 gallon tank and purchased another 120 watt Smart HO UV for my new system.

You can plumb the UV Sterilizers horizontally or vertically.

Their customer service is top notch!
Thanks I will check into it. I am looking for one to reduce the chance if ich, which I am now battleing. I know I should have a quarentine tank, but I have no room for one & I am at my tank limit with my wife.

Unread 06/30/2012, 01:18 PM   #417
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

AJT...

UV wont get rid of or prevent ich from reoccuring. Your best bet to prevent ich and related diseases is to QT. I know you state you're at your tank limit with the wife, but consider this:

One outbreak of velvet, and the financial cost of your losses would be staggering. Not to mention the emotional heartache from losing all your fish from something that could have been prevented for less money than a UV sterilizer.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/

Lee Birch over on RF is the best in terms of fish health and care in ALL aspects I've ever seen online. Not saying others out there arent as good or better, I just havent seen them yet.

For your needs, I honestly think you could get by with a used 75 gallon to 125 gallon tank for qt. You dont need fancy, you want it bare bottom, add PVC fittings for hidey holes for the fish in QT and add 2 powerheads for water movement and an inexpensive HOB filter to run carbon from if it comes down to it. A cheap strip light for viewing the fish is all that's needed in terms of lighting.

When you're not using it, drain it, put away somewhere.

If you prefer to buy smaller fish and watch them grow, (as I do), then you can get by with a smaller tank. You're not keeping the fish in QT long term, just long enough to ensure that it has no disease to bring into you're established tank, and that you have an opportunity to get it acclimated to feeding in captivity.

For my system, I primarily use a 20H tank. I've QT'd everything from a small Powder Blue Tang, (2.5 inches) to my BlueLine Angel in it. For my 3.5 inch Regal Angel, I used a 58 gallon tank and QT'd it with a tiny Purple Tang, (a quarter with fins) and a 3 inch Tomini tang.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to QT more than one fish at a time. However, this was more about acclimating the Regal to eat in captivity, (They're pretty, but stupid and seem to do best with other fish "teaching" them what food is. It worked as Nov will be 5 years with all three fish.

Using UV wont hurt anything, but it wont cure ich, and wont cure Velvet if that breaks out in your system. You also need to change the bulbs out yearly, (unless they've finally gone to UV LED's...which they can, I just dont think they have yet), and they will heat up your water....which will cause your chiller to work harder.

Personally, for the money aspect if nothing else, I'd find a QT tank that works for your needs and go with it. Cheaper and safer.

Do the math and guesstimate what you've got tied up in livestock costs....I have less than half your system and just in terms of fish I have almost $1500 in fish alone...no anemones, clams, or corals included in that figure.....

Read up on Lee's forum in the link I posted,(think you have to be a member in order to read it...just like RC, membership is free), and I think you'll be amazed at what you learn.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Unread 06/30/2012, 01:57 PM   #418
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

[QUOTE=maxxII;20394725]I've seen freshwater planted tanks that rival the most beautiful reef set ups.

Not taking anything away from the OP's tank, as its gorgeous and a great endeavor...but you until you see some of the beautiful planted tanks, you cant just dismiss freshwater tanks.

Chingchai got his inspiration for his tank from a planted freshwater tank. I think the picture of the guy in Japan, I think, is on the first page of his build.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 02:45 PM   #419
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

For whatever reason, I get the red X of death from your pic...

and also when I try to post the pic...guess I'll just hot link it, cause its worth seeing.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/bigtank.jpg/

Unread 07/13/2012, 08:57 AM   #420
AJT
Registered Member

Well, it happened. Massive fish loss. In 35 yrs I have never had a disease go thru my tank & wipe out fish.

It looked like ich to start with. Usually a tang gest a little ich, I add selcon & garlic & it goes away. This has happened about twice a year to me & I never loose a fish.

This time it was different. Fish got a thin white film on them in addition to a few ich spots.

Heartbreaking Don't care about the money, but the 12 yr old fish that died really hit me hard.

OK, now what to do. Some fish seem unaffected. Flame, gobies, wrassees, & a few others.

I treated with ich kick just to see If it could help...

Please do not get on the quarantine soap box because I know. Nothing has changed, I do not have the room for a quarantine tank but I have found a fish store that maintains a lot of commercial tanks & they quarantine fish & medicate before they go in their customers tanks. I am going to buy all my fish from him after things settle down.

MY QUESTION: I have a 25 watt emperor UV sterilizer that just needs orings, quartz sleeve & bulb that I can get running for less than 160.00. I know it is way undersized for my tank but my thought was that I can easily put it outside in my chiller enclosure & have it run thru the sterilizer before the chiller which has a slow flow thru it. the flow should be perfect for the steralizer.

Will a sterilizer help in any way, any disease that is waterborn? Would it help with the spread of disease in any way? For 160.00 I already have the unit.

I also have ozone that I have not hooked up yet, will that help at all with the spread of any diesase?

Thanks
Andy

Unread 07/13/2012, 09:36 AM   #421
bullitr
broke but happy

Sorry to hear sir
you might have velvet that's a killer that wipe out my tank for a year even with going fallow for a while and qt all my fish for 2 months

Also ozone really helps I have a cheap one right now works good on controlling the achilles ick but i want a better one to eliminate the ick all together so We are in communication with Ching chai manufacturer to ship some of the best ozone reactor in this hemisphere. It's only 204 dollars or 6500 bhat but shipping is around $ 125 but we are still trying to get a better deal on shipping .

PM me of your interested with ozone reactor.

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 09:47 AM   #422
AJT
Registered Member

I have a big ozotec ozone still in the box, just have not hooked it up yet.

Unread 07/13/2012, 09:53 AM   #423
AJT
Registered Member

Unread 07/13/2012, 11:05 AM   #424
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

AJ, sorry to hear and we all have that fear...Especially since I'm stepping in the big tank arena with a large system I worry about having a setback like this. Losing the money is not fun but the devastation is that you put all that hard work in. You've got the right attitude about it.

Regarding the UV, it's a hit or miss topic and honestly don't think your going to see much benefit from it. I would pick up a 75 gallon and put the living fish in the tank so you can observe and treat appropriately. After leaving your DT fallow for a couple months you can add the fish back in and start stocking it again. Sounds like a good deal on the source you have too so they can take the QT process out of the picture.

Unread 07/13/2012, 11:21 AM   #425
david00061
Registered Member

Sorry to hear this

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote