Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2019, 04:38 PM   #626
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Sounds like you have the bbs covered

Somehow, velvet showed up and killed off my fish one by one. I tried to save the last four fish and treat them in QT, but they were too far gone. I pulled the reef out of the tank to catch the fish, LOL. I just left the tank up and running as it is. There is a good amount of life in the tank, so I thought that I'd use whats left as a start to my bigger tank project. It's weird how it happened. I think that somehow, it was reintroduced into the tank with some macros and shrimp that I added, because I hadn't added any fish to the tank in almost two years. It was sad, because I raised those fish from 1" long to full adults. The last male blenny looked in great shape, and I took that for granted. When it stopped eating, I took a closer look and it was obvious that he was sick. That's when I moved them into QT. The other fish were worse, but kept hiding in the reef, so I never saw them until I broke down the tank. This was over the course of a couple days. It happened very fast. Velvet is no joke.
O Kevin, that is heart breaking. I do not know much about velvet but for it to move so fast and effectively impact all the fish is ominous. I am so sorry that happened to you as I know how much you and your whole family loved your fish. I did not know that any diseases hitch hiked on macros or shrimp. I will try to remember that for future reference.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 04:47 PM   #627
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That's what I read about Velvet - it happens fast.

Years ago I tried one of those in-tank hatcher-feeders, with no luck whatsoever. I ended up just tossing the eggs in my tank. I never saw a single brine shrimp. It's a great idea. I just didn't have any luck with it.

These days I buy pods by the thousand, and add them to my "Shallows" in-tank, coast-to-coast overflow refugium. There's lot's of plant material in there for them to shelter and eat, then they can wander out into the display when they want.
The hatchery I have is totally different than the one you probably had. I too had tried one of those earlier hatcheries and it made a lot of fouled water and very few bbs. Google PJ reef's bbs hatchery and you will see that it's much improved from those early ones. The PJ reef hatchery is round and about the diameter of a half dollar so they are not intrusive even in a small tank. The magnetized shell hatchings stick to the magnet. Every other day the unit needs cleaned and refilled with new cysts so maintenance is really easy.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 12/11/2019, 04:37 PM   #628
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
The hatchery I have is totally different than the one you probably had. I too had tried one of those earlier hatcheries and it made a lot of fouled water and very few bbs. Google PJ reef's bbs hatchery and you will see that it's much improved from those early ones. The PJ reef hatchery is round and about the diameter of a half dollar so they are not intrusive even in a small tank. The magnetized shell hatchings stick to the magnet. Every other day the unit needs cleaned and refilled with new cysts so maintenance is really easy.
Wow, that's really cool. I think I need to get one of these! Looks like when you get enough eggs to last 3 months with the feeder, and to buy more eggs, it's only $11.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2019, 12:08 PM   #629
vlangel
Registered Member

I have been MIA lately on the forum but my tanks are doing well. I have not added anything new but am keeping up on maintenance and WCs. I have some sad news to report - Delilah unexpectantly died about a month ago. She was doing fine and I just found her laying on the bottom of the tank one evening. I guess I will never know what happened. Eve and Samson are both well. All the animals /fish in the 56 gallon reef are doing great. I still see spottings of Cheerleader the pom pom crab once every few weeks which is cool. The fish are all fat and sassy but everyone gets along nicely. I need to prune the caulerpas and red macros occasionally but in general this tank is super easy to care for.

Unread 12/18/2019, 01:45 PM   #630
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/Xhy4cCqSlvI
Here is a link to a video I took today.

Unread 12/18/2019, 02:13 PM   #631
vlangel
Registered Member

The tank was just cleaned, and pruned this morning so a lot of the coral are understandably retracted. I moved a few pieces to new locations as well. Hopefully in a day or so everything will look a little happier.

Unread 12/18/2019, 05:02 PM   #632
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks great, Dawn! You've got so much to see in there. It's a very entertaining aquarium!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2019, 03:09 PM   #633
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I really love your tank Dawn. It's funny, on every vid that you shoot, I look and try to find the barnacle blennies before you zoom into them. It's like the eye spy game of aquaria. I have yet to spot them first. This time, I kept my eyes focused on the left side, because in your last video, that's where one of them was hanging out. Wrong!!! Thanks for sharing.

Also, sorry to hear about the loss of Delilah.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 12/20/2019, 05:17 AM   #634
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks great, Dawn! You've got so much to see in there. It's a very entertaining aquarium!
Thank you Michael. I really enjoy just pulling up a chair on occasion and just sitting in front of the tank to observe the goings on. A few weeks ago when the red titan macro algae was especially lush, I was watching amphipods walk amonst the fronds just doing their thing. Even with so many small carnivores the tank seems to maintain a very healthy pods population, which I am sure contribute to the stability of this tank.

Unread 12/20/2019, 05:27 AM   #635
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I really love your tank Dawn. It's funny, on every vid that you shoot, I look and try to find the barnacle blennies before you zoom into them. It's like the eye spy game of aquaria. I have yet to spot them first. This time, I kept my eyes focused on the left side, because in your last video, that's where one of them was hanging out. Wrong!!! Thanks for sharing.

Also, sorry to hear about the loss of Delilah.
I love Barney and Betty the barnacle blennies. They act just like Michael's in that they each have their own hidey hole not all that close to one another. However I see them visiting so I suspect that they are male and female and have paired up. For their small size they will defend their hidey hole with big shows of intimidation if another fish happens to swim too close which is quite entertaining.

Yes the one hangs out on the left side also has another hole dead center of the tank! I call that one Barney even though I really can not tell them apart. I just assume he must be a male since he wants to lay claim to 2 territories which I am sure is totally unfounded, ha ha!

Unread 12/20/2019, 09:22 AM   #636
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It is pretty amazing that pods can flourish in our tanks despite the hunting pressure. They are very good at utilizing the refuge they can find among the plants, etc. I agree, they are valuable members of the community too.

Unread 01/02/2020, 02:30 PM   #637
vlangel
Registered Member

I have not posted a link of the 30g seahorse tank in a while so here is the 1st video of 2020 of Eve and Samson.

https://youtu.be/Cr4omloV-0s

Unread 01/02/2020, 04:18 PM   #638
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sweet! Happy New Year to you, Eve and Samson!!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/02/2020, 09:06 PM   #639
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet! Happy New Year to you, Eve and Samson!!!!
Thanks Kevin and Happy Nee Year to you and yours as well.

Unread 01/02/2020, 09:23 PM   #640
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Those ponies are cool! Nice vid.

Unread 01/04/2020, 06:03 AM   #641
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Those ponies are cool! Nice vid.
Thanks Michael. Eve is amazing. She is getting rather old but she still like to play and flow surf. She must not see as well though because she eats slower and more deliberate. In the wild she probably could not compete but I can cater to her in the tank. It probably helps that the tank is spar.

Unread 01/04/2020, 07:43 AM   #642
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

They are really fascinating animals, like living fossils! Your success with them is a huge accomplishment. You've got a lot to be proud of! I really enjoy the vids to see their behavior.

Unread 01/10/2020, 06:01 AM   #643
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
They are really fascinating animals, like living fossils! Your success with them is a huge accomplishment. You've got a lot to be proud of! I really enjoy the vids to see their behavior.
Thanks Michael. My success comes from the pioneering folks who have gone before me and documented what worked and what did not. Not so different from you and your seagrasses.

Unread 01/10/2020, 08:23 AM   #644
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So true Dawn. But of course it's one thing to have the information, and quite another to apply it faithfully for years! Chapeau!

Unread 01/18/2020, 11:16 AM   #645
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks Michael, but perhaps I spoke too soon. Samson's one eye looks a little funky and I am not sure if something is going on with him or not. He did not come out to eat like normal either so I need to keep my eye on him. Eve seems just like she always does but typically the males are more fragile health wise.

Unread 01/18/2020, 11:32 AM   #646
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well bummer. I hope he pulls through for you.

Unread 01/20/2020, 07:03 AM   #647
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Well bummer. I hope he pulls through for you.
He seemed better yesterday. He came out and ate well but the starburst pattern over his eye is still whitish. Seahorses change their skin pigmentation and it may be nothing more than that. As long as he continues to eat well that is going to be my assumption.

Unread 01/20/2020, 10:16 AM   #648
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hopefully all is well. Come on Samson!

Unread 02/20/2020, 05:29 AM   #649
vlangel
Registered Member

I have not commented on Samson lately but he seems to be fine except the bump on his tail. He is eating well and he flirts with Eve. I am guessing the bump is a gas bubble under the skin but it is not causing buoyancy issues and does not appear to be hurting him so I am just going to leave it be.

Unread 02/20/2020, 07:37 AM   #650
vlangel
Registered Member

I cleaned up (pruned the red titan and removed the caulerpa in the areas that I did not want it) the 56 gallon macro-reef tank this morning. Also I did my 10% weekly water change. My husband bought me 5 new featherdusters so I have a little grove of them now. 3 are the brown Hawaiian type and 3 are a smaller red and white variety and I had 2 very small tube worms on my live rock naturally. I just love tube worms and find them to be fascinating creatures. Until this high nutrient tank I had never been able to keep them successfully. I suspect they were malnourished in my other tanks and now they finally are getting enough to eat. Maybe I can snap a pic or take a very short video of the tank with the new additions.