Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2015, 08:54 AM   #1
la1fan
Registered Member

Possible PCS to Wright Patt, looking for info

There is a pretty good possibility that we will be PCSing to WP for the hubs to attend AFIT next year. I'm trying to plan ahead in case this particular move happens so I'm looking for any recommendations on local reef clubs in the area as well as LFS.

TIA

la1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Kahuna
Registered Member

We have a good local reef club here, Western Ohio Reef (WORC) and heartily recommend CORA (Central Ohio Reef Association). There's some sweet LFS's and you're 2 hours from Premium Aquatics!

PM me if you want specific info.

Kev
(former Viper Chief, retired out of Shaw AFB, SC)
Yeah, been there, done that, got a T-shirt...

Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 03:49 PM   #3
la1fan
Registered Member

thanks Kahuna! Will be sending out a pm to you. We'll be headed to WP this summer.

Unread 04/05/2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Skippy2512
Registered Member

I am at WPAFB now, and have had some issues with Corals Galore. They are over priced, unfriendly, and inexperienced. Gerber's Tropical Fish located in Morane is pretty good, and they actually have good coral. Good luck while at school!

@Kahuna-Thanks for mentioning CORA and Premium Aquatics, I had no idea those were a thing.

Skippy2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 05:35 AM   #5
la1fan
Registered Member

Tank is up and cycling, almost all the livestock made the trip successfully with the exception of our foxface, Gemma. Went to Corals Galore and got some plumbing pieces to update the old parts while the tank was down. They were friendly and helpful IMO but I think we were particularly happy to have availability without having to drive 3 hrs ( ah, life in So Cal lol). Will check out Gerber's when we're ready to add more to the tank and will definitely check out Premium Aquatics! Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the good wishes, Skippy2512. I'll pass them on to the hubby!

Unread 10/27/2016, 08:27 PM   #6
CaseysAquariums
Registered Member

Finally other ohio reefers.. I was beginning to think I was the only in Ohio with a tank. I need some stored recommend that aren't overpriced like aquarium adventure. Haso anyone been to that rivers to reefs place?

CaseysAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 12:50 PM   #7
rocsec1
Registered Member

On the other side of Ohio, in Cleveland there are a couple (4or 5) great stores. Come to the LEAR swap in this area in Feb it is great.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Skippy2512
Registered Member

There are a few Ohio Reef Clubs, but I have not actually attended any of the meetings or been an active member. I need to start branching out like my hammers-haha. If anyone is in the Dayton/Riverside area that is interested in meeting up for some coffee and talk tanks, coral,fish,etc... send a PM.

Skippy2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 02:31 PM   #9
ReeferNtraining
Registered Member

Skippy, I am in Fairborn. Had an extremely bad experience with Corals Galore myself and am out $500. The owner is arrogant, condescending and untruthful. If you're in the market for flatworms, tons of bubble algae, hair algae and half dead corals then it's a great place to shop!!

Unread 04/21/2017, 01:15 PM   #10
docsky
Registered Member

Cincyreef.com is another local reef club based out of Cincinnati.
Cincyreef, Western Ohio Reef and CORA each put on a great frag swap's once a year. Cincinnati has about 4-5 good local fish stores around town. They would be about a 45min -1hr drive south of Wright Patt.

docsky is offline   Reply With Quote