Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Reefsi
Registered Member

Tank Renovation after GHA, Questions

So after I battled GHA for the last 3 months I have about had enough of it. I took every route to get rid of it and it was pretty stubborn and seemed to stay around. After I replaced my lights. I started by removing all my filter pads and such, then sowly moving my bio balls. Once this did not seem to solve the problem I ordered a BRS phosphate reactor, still seemed to not change although my phosphate level did lower. After this I ordered an RO/DI unit which has not done to much as i can tell. The RO/DI unit did reduced my phosphates out of the faucet from 2.5 to 0.00. Keep in mind the whole time I kept 20% water changes on the weekly or biweekly schedule. So I completely redid the tank last night, out of rage I think. I took out 90% of the water, all the live rock, about 14 various pieces of SPS: acro, monti, stylophora, birdsnest(all which showed amazing color and growth). Once I did this I transfered all the fish, inverts, and SPS to a holding container which is running at 81 degress, 2 powerheads, and about 14 gallons of water. I completely scrubbed all the live rock down with the tanks saltwater, then rescrubbed it in fresh salt water. I left the sand bed alone but siphoned out a thin top layer of detritus, gunk, and so forth. Cleaned my return pump, skimmer, sump, GFO reactor, overflow, and all powerheads. I put all the LR back in the tank last night, it has tons of coraline on it and that is why I cleaned it with saltwater. I left all my snails in the tank which consisted of cerith, nertite, astrea, and nassarius vibex, in all about 150-175 snails.

Questions:
When can I put my SPS, Inverts, and fish back in the tank?
Will the tank even cycle considering i left all the sand in, and only brushed the GHA completely off with a toothbrush?
Suggestions and inset is appreciated.

The tank was about 11 months old, and never had GHA until I let it go over the summer due to me being gone for 3 months.

Current Tank Info: 240 Gallon DT + 100 Gallon Sump, 2 MP-40's, 6 Kessil A360's, 60" ATI 4x80w, Geo 624 CR, GAC, GFO, Skimz 201 Skimmer. All powered by APEX!
Reefsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Reefsi
Registered Member

Bump!
Also I just got the tank running about 6 hours ago, and completely filled with RO/DI and seachem salt. Tested the water all nutrient levels and etc was in perfect check.

Current Tank Info: 240 Gallon DT + 100 Gallon Sump, 2 MP-40's, 6 Kessil A360's, 60" ATI 4x80w, Geo 624 CR, GAC, GFO, Skimz 201 Skimmer. All powered by APEX!
Reefsi is offline   Reply With Quote