Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2017, 11:55 AM   #351
dave.m
Registered Member

If you have natural gas available in your neighbourhood look for a whole-house back-up generator that runs off of that. Natural gas keeps pumping even when the electricity goes out so that you will never need to go without power again.

Make sure that you run your back-up generator once a month EVERY month to ensure it is still working correctly. Power outages seldom work to schedule.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 12:04 PM   #352
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
If you have natural gas available in your neighbourhood look for a whole-house back-up generator that runs off of that. Natural gas keeps pumping even when the electricity goes out so that you will never need to go without power again.

Make sure that you run your back-up generator once a month EVERY month to ensure it is still working correctly. Power outages seldom work to schedule.

Dave.M

No natural gas here. We are heated by geothermal. We would have to get something that is propane or gas ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 12:04 PM   #353
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I have a Generac 16KW system for my tank, AC units, lighting, computers, etc. I got the one that runs off Natural Gas. It comes on in around 8 seconds of power failure. I also installed 2 UPS'. One for the APEX controller, skimmer and return pump - so no crazy skimmer overflowing and to keep water level flowing. One UPS is for my router.

Tested by turning off power. No issues. Generac is great! They can hook you up with a licensed installer in your area.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 12:05 PM   #354
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Generac's run off gas and propane too. It's programmed to come on twice a week for 10 minutes to selftest.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 12:06 PM   #355
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRESOURCE View Post
I have a Generac 16KW system for my tank, AC units, lighting, computers, etc. I got the one that runs off Natural Gas. It comes on in around 8 seconds of power failure. I also installed 2 UPS'. One for the APEX controller, skimmer and return pump - so no crazy skimmer overflowing and to keep water level flowing. One UPS is for my router.

Tested by turning off power. No issues. Generac is great! They can hook you up with a licensed installer in your area.

I'll have to look into that UPS. We haven't looked into that yet I'm leaning towards the Generac or a Kohler.

Unread 01/11/2017, 02:26 PM   #356
wowkingjames
Registered Member

Nice set up.

wowkingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 02:48 PM   #357
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowkingjames View Post
Nice set up.

Thanks! It's really coming together. Corals are starting to grow, can't wait to see them this time next year. Overall fishroom review, couldn't imagine the tank without it. Definitely our dream scenario!

Unread 01/11/2017, 05:18 PM   #358
DasCamel
Registered Member

Nice build, I'm starting to read it from the beginning.

The area around us is also known for extensive outages. Bought a 5000W generator for now, standard gas one while figuring out a more permanent solution later.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 07:00 PM   #359
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
Nice build, I'm starting to read it from the beginning.

The area around us is also known for extensive outages. Bought a 5000W generator for now, standard gas one while figuring out a more permanent solution later.

Good idea! I suggest doing a test run monthly on it so you're not stuck like we were with a non operational generator when it's needed! Good luck reading from the beginning, it was a slow ride but we are here today and moving forward!

Unread 01/15/2017, 11:47 AM   #360
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Current stock list:

1 powder brown tang
1 starry blenny (who is the only "jerk" in the tank. Attacks the other fish often)
1 bi-color blenny (just for his second color and its gorgeous!)
2 clowns (one black/one orange)
1 yellow clown goby (is irritating some SPS, killing off spots he hangs out on)
1 yellowhead jawfish (favorite fish as of now)
1 sand sifting goby

As you can see, very light bioload right now. Can't wait for our next big order. I'm traveling quite a bit this month and next, so big order should be March most likely. I want to be home for TTM and observation during 6 week QT so jeremy doesn't have to deal with it. Definitely excited to start ordering again. The next order will be smaller fish, then a few months later the final order of tangs, maybe in between there an order of wrasses. We will see!

Unread 01/18/2017, 05:35 PM   #361
imfsub12
Registered Member

Nice tank
What is the measurement of the tank off the floor if you don't mind sharing

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 29 G
imfsub12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 08:20 PM   #362
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfsub12 View Post
Nice tank

Absolutely! I am on the road this week for work, I'll get back with you on Sunday when I'm back home and measure. We made sure to have it tall enough so my husband (6'1") didn't stare at the wall, but had tank visual standing upright.

Unread 01/19/2017, 06:17 AM   #363
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfsub12 View Post
Nice tank

I have the info for you earlier than expected, my husband knew right away - 38"

Unread 02/10/2017, 11:30 AM   #364
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Major kudos to ecotech. I'm in Phoenix on work this week, Jeremy called that our M1 that runs our skimmer isn't running, has a flashing or solid red light. He took it apart to make sure nothing was jammed in it and it spins freely. Called ecotech and they already have a replacement in the mail to us. This is why we support them, great service!

Skimmer will be down for about 4 days, but I am not worried about that with our light bioload.

Unread 02/10/2017, 04:27 PM   #365
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Major kudos to ecotech. I'm in Phoenix on work this week, Jeremy called that our M1 that runs our skimmer isn't running, has a flashing or solid red light. He took it apart to make sure nothing was jammed in it and it spins freely. Called ecotech and they already have a replacement in the mail to us. This is why we support them, great service!

Skimmer will be down for about 4 days, but I am not worried about that with our light bioload.

It's a shame they don't insist on the same kind of responses from their overseas distributors. Every time I've had an issue, and there have been many, I've had to physically take the unit back to the distributor. I'm trying to find time to take a faulty battery back at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damienpbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 06:57 PM   #366
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I'm currently skimmerless as well due to a pump issue. I was considering the M1 as a replacement. I might have to rethink that now. Calling Ecotech seems to be the best way to contact them. I've tried email before, and didn't get a response. Once you get in touch with them, they have great service.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 06:59 PM   #367
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm currently skimmerless as well due to a pump issue. I was considering the M1 as a replacement. I might have to rethink that now. Calling Ecotech seems to be the best way to contact them. I've tried email before, and didn't get a response. Once you get in touch with them, they have great service.

- Ivan

Why would you not consider an M1 still? Honestly I'm alright with it failing, it's going to happen with any equipment you buy at some point. I would highly recommend the M1. We currently run 3 vectras including L1's and couldn't be happier.

Unread 02/10/2017, 08:38 PM   #368
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Honestly I'm alright with it failing, it's going to happen with any equipment you buy at some point.

That's a good point. I'm currently running an L1 as my return pump and it is awesome. I just wish the Vectras were compatible with the Apex. I worry about shutting the pump completely down 2x per day for feedings. All of those starts/stops can wear on a pump. If I could just slow the pump down through the Apex, that would eliminate a lot of the wear.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 02:55 PM   #369
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Here we are again, no power. From what I know, power went out about 7/8 this morning. We have been talking on the whole house generator and planned on installing one in spring. Well, this power outage is being estimated as the town being restored Saturday, which means we will likely be later than that. Broke down and purchased a 8500 generac and it's fully running the tank like a champ!!

Unread 03/08/2017, 03:03 PM   #370
dave.m
Registered Member

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 06:33 PM   #371
chris o
Registered Member

I can say that the money I spent on our whole house generator has been one of the best purchases I have made. I am never worried about the power going out especially when I am out of town.

Chris

chris o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 08:06 AM   #372
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Here we are again, no power. From what I know, power went out about 7/8 this morning. We have been talking on the whole house generator and planned on installing one in spring. Well, this power outage is being estimated as the town being restored Saturday, which means we will likely be later than that. Broke down and purchased a 8500 generac and it's fully running the tank like a champ!!

Lucky for me, I only lost power for about 4.5 minutes. It's crazy the number of people that are out, and will be out for at least another day here in SE Michigan.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 08:08 AM   #373
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris o View Post
I can say that the money I spent on our whole house generator has been one of the best purchases I have made. I am never worried about the power going out especially when I am out of town.

Chris

Absolutely! The feeling of peace is worth it. We figure this will get us by until spring when we want to install the full house that kicks itself on. Can't wait for that!! Definitely worth the investment, even on this size generator. We would've lost the tank if we didn't get this going, no question.

Unread 03/09/2017, 08:09 AM   #374
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Lucky for me, I only lost power for about 4.5 minutes. It's crazy the number of people that are out, and will be out for at least another day here in SE Michigan.

It is crazy!! Sounds like the storm is finished though, so that's a positive! We're about 30 miles east of Grand Rapids, we got hit pretty hard.

Glad to hear you have power, I actually thought of you yesterday when we finally got the generator up and running and was curious if you got hit and going through the same situation.

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:00 AM   #375
iced98lx
Registered Member

Make sure you follow the upkeep suggestions your new generator, nothing worse than a generator that won't start when you need it! Keep a spark plug and fresh gas on hand.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote