Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2016, 07:28 AM   #26
BADPAPI
Registered Member

well doesn't let me copy the link

Unread 10/15/2016, 10:19 AM   #27
ssick92
Registered Member

I attached a very crude depiction of the media basket and how it COULD be set up in your tank. You likely wouldn't need it on both sides at the beginning of your tank, but once it is more mature and you have a higher bio-load you might need both sides. I would at least run filter floss on both sides throughout the duration of your tank though. This isn't your exact tank, but I believe it has the same setup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM Filter Media.jpg (76.9 KB, 91 views)

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 10:16 AM   #28
RcManChild
Registered Member

Interesting,

I did get rid of the socks, far too annoying and am just using a ton of filter floss for now and is working amazingly...

I have 2 baby clown fish, a royal gramma and a cleaner shrimp.

end of week 2

added 2 clown fish - everything still at zero.

end of week 3 - added cleaner shrimp and Royal Gramma.

The royal gramma is a little bit of a chicken and hides alot....

I will try to get some better pics later...

Last edited by RcManChild; 10/17/2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: more pics
RcManChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 10:24 AM   #29
RcManChild
Registered Member

Any thoughts on adding a six line wrasse baby to the tank and upgrading in a year?

Unread 10/17/2016, 10:28 AM   #30
shelleyBoston
Registered Member

Looks great ! I had considered doing to black lava substrate I like the look but I went with the pink sand instead on mine.

shelleyBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 10:36 AM   #31
ssick92
Registered Member

Honestly I think you would fine with the 6 line in that tank. You would want to make sure you keep the lid on though, because they are known to be jumpers.

Unread 10/17/2016, 11:44 AM   #32
RcManChild
Registered Member

I am not 100% convinced with the aquascape when it comes time for corrals but for now the water parameters are excellent and fish appear to be happy...

Now I just need to find a bubble backup system or something for when the power goes out.

Unread 10/18/2016, 10:45 AM   #33
BADPAPI
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...87YQBCAAZ9H82G

Unread 10/27/2016, 08:22 PM   #34
RcManChild
Registered Member

Update, Will post pictures tomorrow...

So went to the fish store and got a baby six Line wrasse....
I let the water temp match over 25-30 minutes and over that time used an eye dropper every 5 to add my tank water to the water in the bag... Unfortunately the next morning The six line was dead... checked water parameters (0 ammonia,0 nitrite, btwn 0 and .25 nitrate) and everything looked fine... dont know what happened..

I also ended up with a ton of green algae in the tank and was recommended to get 3 emerald crabs... Let me tell you these guys cleaned it up. However now I am trying to find something to feed these guys to keep them alive... They are awesome and add life to the tank..

Unread 10/28/2016, 09:29 AM   #35
marleesan
Registered Member

I think you are already fully stocked for that size tank. The six line is too aggressive anyway

marleesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2016, 12:37 AM   #36
RcManChild
Registered Member

We plan to upgrade come summer time.. So it will be overstocked once all are fully grown.. but for now it seemed doable

Unread 11/08/2016, 10:06 PM   #37
RcManChild
Registered Member

We decided not to replace the 6 line, but rather spend money on some corals..

we got a rose bubble tip anemone and a candy cane coral...

I dont even know what week I am on now, but all level seem perfect, maybe too perfect?

nitrate - 0
nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.2 - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Calcium - 460

I do change 5 gallons of water every week, protein skimmer runs 24/7..

The only issue I seem to have is some brown algae or bacteria build up on the glass...

enough chit chat here are some pics

Unread 11/08/2016, 10:08 PM   #38
RcManChild
Registered Member

I am also using these:

any advice for this will be appreciated... Also do i need to feed the anemone anything specific?

Unread 11/09/2016, 07:46 AM   #39
ReefWreak
Registered Member

You asked me about how to keep maintenance simple, but yet your parameters are stable and you're buying additional supplements to add daily/every few days...

I would simplify by just keeping flow up, keep the skimmer going (they're easy to clean), and do your water changes every other week. I don't like floss, carbon, or GFO unless they're needed. I know I'm too lazy to be changing floss out every few days, and the only dosing I do by hand is coral and fish food, which can be skipped here and there without issue.

Your setup looks really nice so far. As it matures, you can always switch up your maintenance routine, but you can't get easy maintenance in the beginning, or you'll just be having algae headaches all the time.

The bright side of losing the sixline is that they're often aggressive. I love sixline wrasse looks, but they just tend to be too aggressive to keep in anything but very large tanks, even though they're quite small. It totally depends on the individual (same with most other species that people want to keep in their reefs), but in the case of a sixline in a nano, you have to be especially cautious.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask other questions, and I'll check back on your thread.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 07:50 AM   #40
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Forgot to mention, any calcium supplement that isn't 2 parts, i.e. a calcium part and an alkalinity part, isn't going to have the desired outcome. And you should never be dosing anything if you're not testing for it as well as a rule.

The fuel stuff sounds good, it's like an all-in-one carbon dosing, coral food, and trace copper dosing (which is supposed to make corals more colorful, even though copper is poisonous). Sounds like a lot of people on RC use it and recommend it. I wouldn't recommend doing any dosing until your tank is more mature, but up to you.

Unread 11/09/2016, 04:48 PM   #41
RcManChild
Registered Member

I do not dose the recomended amount... I dose 3x less than the recomended amount i.e. a day after the water change I will dose half of what is recomended and test the water... usually it comes out fine...

I was told by the LFS to use the two (fuel for colors), Calcium (for food ) together to allow corals to grow, both corals look extremely happy... I am not dosing nearly as much as what is stated

Unread 11/13/2016, 09:40 AM   #42
catchandreleas
Registered Member

Tank looks great so far. You are still using the IM lighting? are you still thinking to swap it out? I'm starting a similar set up and wondering what to do for lighting.

catchandreleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 05:09 PM   #43
RcManChild
Registered Member

I am using the IM lighting. The corals I have (rose bubble tip and candy cane coral) both seem happy. I am having an algae issue now. Bought some algae breakdown to dose. I believe I was way over feeding, plus I lost 3 snails.

So simply put for beginner corals the lighting works amazingly. If you want more difficult corals and hard corals (SPS) you will need a more intense lighting system.

Unread 11/15/2016, 08:16 PM   #44
taby15
Registered Member

I like the set up. I also have a 20 gallon nuvo fusion. I think I have to much equipment

taby15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 05:51 PM   #45
RcManChild
Registered Member

I have a skimmer and am thinking of adding the media reactor. I am going to have to find something that works well to get rid of the algae.

Unread 11/20/2016, 08:00 PM   #46
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post
I have a skimmer and am thinking of adding the media reactor. I am going to have to find something that works well to get rid of the algae.
Manual removal and low nutrients. Those are the only things that get rid of algae if it's already grown big.

Unread 11/21/2016, 07:57 PM   #47
MrDaniel
Registered Member

The two next most important purchases for you should be an alkalinity and a magnesium test kit! Along with calcium, these are the three most essential elements to track in reef keeping. Many people track nothing but these elements and have a great success. Your long term success will depend on your ability to maintain these parameters. Good luck!

MrDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 03:26 PM   #48
RcManChild
Registered Member

So, I need to figure out how to dose and what to dose or if it's even worth getting a machine to dose. I still also need to figure out a power supply for when power goes out..

Unread 11/23/2016, 05:35 PM   #49
ssick92
Registered Member

The only thing that will need to be dosed is calcium and alkalinity. You may not even need to dose those if you do water changes frequently, like multiple times a week. When you are dosing those other additives you are just messing with your water chemistry even more when all most corals want is stability. Most of the TOTM tanks dose nothing but 2 part or kalk.

I don't have the time or schedule that allowed me to manually dose every day so I bought a Bubble Magus dosing pump to handle my 2-part dosing schedule, which works great if you can splurge on it.

1 of my golden rules is "Don't dose anything that you can't or don't test for".

Unread 11/23/2016, 09:31 PM   #50
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

I don't think dosing on such a small tank is worth it... If you're trying to keep it simplistic. If you are trying to make things complicated, expensive, and possibly messing with your water chemistry then go for it. If you use good salt and frequent water changes then you should be good. I've never dosed in any of my tanks and all my corals have been growing pretty well... For the most part haha

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 170
fscmocsaj is offline   Reply With Quote