Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:43 PM   #1
jonto
Registered Member

Blue Tip Sebae Anemone Help

Hello AGAIN folks, hope you don't get tired of me!
My Sebae arrived last week. I haven't been able to get him to anchor anywhere. He just ends up where the water flow takes him. I have adjusted my pumps and just moved him to a spot he might like. We'll see. Been squirting him brine shrimp but its hard to keep it away from my Melanarus Wrasse. I think PetSmart has some frozen silverside. I don't have an LFS. Should I try this instead? And then I have to figure out a way to get it to him.
He's about 4inches and still a brown color. Never was white bleached.

jonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 05:51 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Try placing a colander over it so that it stays in one place. More information about your system would help as well. Generally speaking, if they are happy they will find a place that suits them. If conditions are not just right, they will continue looking.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Weaker Nems can have a hard time grabbing on proper while also adjusting to new settings.

You can help it by trapping it and securing it somehow, you can always rearrange your display the way you like it later, when the Nem got settled in.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 07:34 PM   #4
jonto
Registered Member

Well, I tried feeding the Sebae and the Rose Bubble Tip with some Silverside. The Rose chowed it down but the Sebae just spits it out. Should I try a chunk of shrimp? She still has good color but has not attached anywhere yet. I will try the colander trick and see if that will work. They have both been in my tank about a week now.

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:43 PM   #5
jlmawp
Registered Member

Not an anemone expert, but I often read people on this forum saying not to feed a nem in a new tank for a couple weeks or so. Doing so can stress it out more. I would just let it find a good place to be first.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 08:02 PM   #6
jonto
Registered Member

Still haven't been able to get the Sebae to anchor any place. Tonight I put him in a good place and holding him there with a stick. I also cut down on the Jabeo powerhead quite a bit. Will see where he is in the morning.

Unread 11/24/2017, 09:05 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

There is a forum here on RC for anemones ..... post there as you'll get more of the experts to reply. My sebae always ended up wedging their foot under a rock at the sandbed. Generally not a high flow anemone like Magnifica. I'd not try to force feed it until settled. You could try contraining it with a circle of something like gutter guard. May attach for you ..... and then wander until it finds a happy place.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote