Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Substrate for Predator Tank?
Bare Bottom 5 35.71%
Crushed Coral 3 21.43%
Shallow sandbed with annoying sugar grained sand(storm) 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2012, 09:27 PM   #1
RLG2182
Registered Member

Predator Tank... BB or Sand?

So I know this has been beaten to death, but through all the forums I can't find a concise answer.

What substrate do you use for your Predator tanks? I don't really mind vacuuming with monthly water changes, but I was 95% ready to do BareBottom with white King Starboard (I already have it silicon-ed to the bottom of the tank) but am reconsidering my decision.

I do NOT want a sugar sized sand of any kind... can't have strong current or else you get a sandstorm. BUT... I do want to have triggers, puffers, and eels, and I've read some kind of substrate can create sores on the fish's underbellies. I do LOVE the look of Indo Pacific, but read that most of those mix mostly white rocks with bigger black pieces. Just so many options.

RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Blacksscamaro
Registered Member

I have the sugar sized in my 150 with two 3200gph powerheads. I just angled the powerheads where they are flowing just above the sand. It mixed the sand just a bit and has settled and works just fine. My personal opinion is, I think it looks boring I wish I would have added some crushed coral or a bigger grain of sand. I recently setup a 29 nano for my gf and bought her the "pink" live sand in a bag from the lfs and it looks a million times better then mine, it even came with a bunch of tiny clam shells

Blacksscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:22 PM   #3
divinedragon13
Registered Member

for Predator Tank i like bb its easier keep cleaner

divinedragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:46 PM   #4
newtank
Registered Member

Bare bottom all the way, it will look great with the starboard. Grab some larger snail shells, and a few pieces of rubble rock and scatter it around, less is more and can add some interest. I am growing some star pollups and Zoa carpets on mine...pretty cool

Current Tank Info: Newest new tank- 300G DEEP
newtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:54 PM   #5
ReachTheSky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtank View Post
Bare bottom all the way, it will look great with the starboard. Grab some larger snail shells, and a few pieces of rubble rock and scatter it around, less is more and can add some interest. I am growing some star pollups and Zoa carpets on mine...pretty cool
That does actually sound really cool. The only issue I can see that might arise is detritus settling in between the stuff. Do you have this issue?

Current tank: 7.5g Nano-Reef | Modified AquaClear50 | RapidLED Par38 bulb | 2x Koralia 240gph
ReachTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 09:01 PM   #6
RLG2182
Registered Member

I asked because I had it all set up with white starboard and then put my LED lighting on and fired it up. The white starboard acts like a big mirror and shoots light EVERYWHERE in the room. I know this is without rocks or water in the tank so I assume the light will disperse some... But my other half is putting her foot down if it continues to look like this. Figured I never had a problem with this light issue when I had sand, but then I also know if I have sand then I need to be able to vacuum it due to messy fish. Complicated, I know. I like the look of Indo-Pacific caribsea and am really leaning towards this... But the appeal of a less maintenance/lower nutrient environment is keeping me torn on what to do.

RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Palting
Registered Member

I have a 110 predator tank with medium grain aragonite substrate. Unfortunately, none of your choices cover it, so I can't vote . Anyhow, there is enough flow down into the bottom so that fish poop disintegrates into the water and gets processed by the filters and skimmer, while the substrate is heavy enough it doesn't get blown around.

BTW, I do have the indopacific black from Arag Alive in my 110 FOWLR. Not as black as Hawaiian black that I have in my reef tank, it is more gray, but is is relatively even in consistency and color, not as variable as you describe in your post.

I'm with your better half. Cover that glaring bottom . There's a reason she is your "better half"!!

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote