Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2018, 02:57 PM   #26
GoNoles
Registered Member

Lenny, we both went minimalistic rock with light sand. I used the CaribSea life rock and the Aragalive sand. When I added the water there were packs of clarifier that came with the sand. Took me forever to get my skimmer to work right after that!

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 02:58 PM   #27
LennyD4
Registered Member

That's strange I have never heard of that. I had nothing like that in my sand. My water was 100% Rodi and the cloudiness of the sand only lasted about half hour or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
Lenny, we both went minimalistic rock with light sand. I used the CaribSea life rock and the Aragalive sand. When I added the water there were packs of clarifier that came with the sand. Took me forever to get my skimmer to work right after that!
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LennyD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 03:08 PM   #28
LennyD4
Registered Member

So far the light looks awesome. I am going to have to do some research on the best program to set up. The remote that came with the light is wireless and you can easily switch between your custom mode, sunny mode, cloudy mood, and moon.

Unread 05/03/2018, 11:50 AM   #29
GoNoles
Registered Member

Sweet looking light!! Does it come with a hanging kit as well? I'm thinking of hanging my light now.

Unread 05/03/2018, 12:40 PM   #30
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet looking light!! Does it come with a hanging kit as well? I'm thinking of hanging my light now.
Yes it does come with the material needed for hanging. I think I may also hang it. This weekend I may go out looking for some sort of nice looking 90 degree brackets to hang off of my wall behind it.

Unread 05/03/2018, 01:01 PM   #31
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD4 View Post
Yes it does come with the material needed for hanging. I think I may also hang it. This weekend I may go out looking for some sort of nice looking 90 degree brackets to hang off of my wall behind it.

Awesome! Would love to see that. My issue is that my tank is a peninsula tank so i may just hang from some sort of decorative ceiling setup. Haven't figured that out yet...

Unread 05/06/2018, 02:52 PM   #32
LennyD4
Registered Member

This is the final product! Minus fish and coral of course.

Unread 05/07/2018, 01:54 PM   #33
GoNoles
Registered Member

Sweet setup!! Do like the look of that ReefBreeders fixture!

Unread 05/07/2018, 01:57 PM   #34
GoNoles
Registered Member

How did you end up programming your light cycle?

Do like the hanging as opposed to the legs, BTW

Unread 05/07/2018, 02:08 PM   #35
LennyD4
Registered Member

I definitely enjoy the light hung to me it is a much cleaner look. As for the cycle of the light I pretty much have it for 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. it is actually off of The Reef breeder pamphlet that came with the light it is example B. I set it to that because the factory settings pretty much have the light fixture on all day which I did not want. I really need to do some research into what people do because I think right now midday the max setting might be around 30% but I see people have them at 50 percent.

Unread 05/17/2018, 01:29 PM   #36
GoNoles
Registered Member

How are you liking the lamp? Any feedback?

Unread 05/17/2018, 02:14 PM   #37
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
How are you liking the lamp? Any feedback?
I really like it so far. I had a minor issue where it was making a really annoying buzzing sound. I contacted them and they got back to me immediately. I opened the fixture and found out it was one of the circuit boards. They sent me out a replacement instantly and it took me about 10 minutes to replace. My system is now back to 100% silence. I will post a pic below of a little update on how I hung it. I love the features ( custom, full sun, cloudy, nighttime.) I still havent really done much research into settings. I re programmed the custom to make one of their examples. I think it is a little low but I have no coral yet.

Unread 05/17/2018, 02:21 PM   #38
LennyD4
Registered Member

Im thinking I will keep the intensity down for a while. I really want my refugium up and running first. Waiting on algaebarn to have chaeto and their biocubes back in stock.

Unread 05/17/2018, 02:58 PM   #39
bigtank
Premium Member

That looks really good so far. I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years now, not even a freshwater tank, and I'm thinking of doing a 40 when I get into a more permanent situation. Everything is different now. When I had my 70 setup back in high school, the equipment was mostly the same price or more than today too.

bigtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 03:03 PM   #40
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtank View Post
That looks really good so far. I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years now, not even a freshwater tank, and I'm thinking of doing a 40 when I get into a more permanent situation. Everything is different now. When I had my 70 setup back in high school, the equipment was mostly the same price or more than today too.
Thanks. I had something sort of similar I was out of the hobby for about 5 years and my tank prior was a 65-gallon.

Unread 05/17/2018, 03:11 PM   #41
bigtank
Premium Member

Ballpark cost estimate so far? If you don't mind of course. I know this is not a cheap hobby lol.

Unread 05/17/2018, 03:21 PM   #42
LennyD4
Registered Member

Hmm....
Light - $575
Jebao Return Pump- $100
MP10 (sale)- $210
40g/20g tanks- $100
Modular Marine Ghost Overflow- $165
Pukani Dry Rock- $114
Heaters- ~$80
Plumbing Parts- ~$75
RO 110SSS Skimmer- $234
BRS 75GPD Ro/DI plus unit- $189
Tunze 3155 ATO (sale)- $130

You can do the math and add all that up. Im not in the mood to throw up right now. 🤢🤢
Quote:
Ballpark cost estimate so far? If you don't mind of course. I know this is not a cheap hobby lol.

Unread 05/17/2018, 03:26 PM   #43
bigtank
Premium Member

I came up with $1972. IMO that's not too bad considering how much I have in guns/optics/reloading, audio gear, and other fun stuff. I built a new computer last year and bought a new monitor and keyboard, spent almost that much on everything.

Last edited by bigtank; 05/17/2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Computer setup lol
Unread 05/17/2018, 04:02 PM   #44
LennyD4
Registered Member

Yeah I guess it's not too bad but that also doesn't include my stand build but I did that all myself which is fairly cheap. I did use some better name brand equipment so that also Jack the price up a little bit but I am very happy with my build I don't think I would have done anything differently.
Quote:
I came up with $1972. IMO that's not too bad considering how much I have in guns/optics/reloading, audio gear, and other fun stuff. I built a new computer last year and bought a new monitor and keyboard, spent almost that much on everything.

Unread 05/22/2018, 03:11 PM   #45
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess it's not too bad but that also doesn't include my stand build but I did that all myself which is fairly cheap. I did use some better name brand equipment so that also Jack the price up a little bit but I am very happy with my build I don't think I would have done anything differently.

I have an icecap 1k gyre ($129) running in my new 40 build. I have it on almost "reef crest" mode from my MP10 where it ramps up. I have it running vertically on the back end of the glass since my tank is a peninsula and the one end against wall has the overflow. I love the water flow! And for $130 you cant beat the price!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1k-gy...ph-icecap.html

Unread 05/23/2018, 04:45 AM   #46
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
I have an icecap 1k gyre ($129) running in my new 40 build. I have it on almost "reef crest" mode from my MP10 where it ramps up. I have it running vertically on the back end of the glass since my tank is a peninsula and the one end against wall has the overflow. I love the water flow! And for $130 you cant beat the price!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1k-gy...ph-icecap.html
Right now I have the Jebao DC return pump and an MP10. With those two I feel like I get pretty good flow. My tank looks very clean as far as wiring goes. I wouldnt want to add that Gyre wire into my tank.

Unread 05/23/2018, 02:30 PM   #47
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Right now I have the Jebao DC return pump and an MP10. With those two I feel like I get pretty good flow. My tank looks very clean as far as wiring goes. I wouldnt want to add that Gyre wire into my tank.

Oh no, Lenny. That was more for BigTank. He was asking about pricing and if he didn't want to spend the money on MP10s he might find the gyre a little more do-able. Your system looks great!

Unread 05/23/2018, 02:48 PM   #48
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh no, Lenny. That was more for BigTank. He was asking about pricing and if he didn't want to spend the money on MP10s he might find the gyre a little more do-able. Your system looks great!
Ohhh I see. You made me really question my flow.

Unread 05/24/2018, 01:18 PM   #49
bigtank
Premium Member

I would be interested in the MP10 along with the flow from the return pump. Pretty sure I have an old Mag 3 (350 gph) laying around from back in the day, I wonder if that would work fine on a 40?

Unread 06/15/2018, 01:11 PM   #50
GoNoles
Registered Member

Hey Lenny,

How's the tank going? Interested in things you have done! I now have a Midas Blenny (gigantic!) and an Eibli Angel. Put in a blood shrimp that stays in the cave the Blenny made so I never see him.