Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2010, 10:38 AM   #1
ynnhoj86
Registered Member

cool new forum! just had a question

Im living in El Paso again for my summer job for the second summer, and when i was here in 2008, you guys only were on ELMAR. What is the different between ELMAR and STARS? how come you guys just didnt stay on ELMAR. Sorry if its a dumb question

Current Tank Info: REEFwithLOTS OF CORALS
ynnhoj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 11:04 AM   #2
jtinoco
Registered Member

Sorry to jump in on this one.

simple answer: too much drama on the other forum. Ha!

There.. I said it!

jtinoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 11:10 AM   #3
nmnative
Registered Member

You will probably understand if you read the Club Charter thread in the ELMAR forum. There really is no difference between the two clubs and all are welcome here.

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 11:39 AM   #4
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

This Society is better organized and actually has members that holds positions within. The other club does not but as Justin said dual membership is encourage.

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Welcome, I am glad you found STARS. I hope you enjoy your summer in El Paso. Hopefully you can attend a STARS meeting or two or three while you are here. Would love to hear about reefing in Tucson.

As far as the two clubs, STARS was formed as a response to a need for more open communication and club structure. Both clubs are in existence and it is important that no one adopts a STARS vs. ELMAR mentality. Its been stated a few times and probably will be stated a few more times. Dual membership is encouraged.

So please feel free to participate in any and all of the communication boards and look forward to seeing you at a meeting!!

jay

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 01:46 PM   #6
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnhoj86 View Post
Im living in El Paso again for my summer job for the second summer, and when i was here in 2008, you guys only were on ELMAR. What is the different between ELMAR and STARS? how come you guys just didnt stay on ELMAR. Sorry if its a dumb question
Another Tucsonan! I thought I was the only one here. Well I guess I would be since I am in Las Cruces. Boy, I miss the Old Pueblo, great city with great people. Welcome, I see you are at the UfoA. What are you studying? Might be transferring next year to the UofA.

Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 02:56 PM   #7
hEcToR1520
Registered Member

What got me interested in STARS is that the founding members are active posters and participants and are in it for the passion of the hobby, as I am. I reiterate what I said in another thread, I hope I can bring something to the table this time around and would like to see this club grow.

So enjoy your stay and make some new friends, it doesn't always have to be about fish and corals, I hear these "green bottle frags" are all the rage at the meetings

hEcToR1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 10:00 PM   #8
ynnhoj86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
Another Tucsonan! I thought I was the only one here. Well I guess I would be since I am in Las Cruces. Boy, I miss the Old Pueblo, great city with great people. Welcome, I see you are at the UfoA. What are you studying? Might be transferring next year to the UofA.

Thanks!
ya the U OF A is great place. its so great Ive been there for 6 years now lol going on my 7th. Ive changed my major way to many time, but im studying sociology right now, and Im think of changing it to Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation and Management.

Unread 05/17/2010, 10:03 PM   #9
ynnhoj86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinoco View Post
Sorry to jump in on this one.

simple answer: too much drama on the other forum. Ha!

There.. I said it!
dont worry, in tucson there are two forums as well. People in tucson couldn't get along on RC so they left. it was a couple of years before i found RC but wish people could just get along.

Unread 05/17/2010, 11:16 PM   #10
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnhoj86 View Post
ya the U OF A is great place. its so great Ive been there for 6 years now lol going on my 7th. Ive changed my major way to many time, but im studying sociology right now, and Im think of changing it to Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation and Management.
That is cool. I did not know that the UofA offered this program, such a great school. They are starting a Sustainable Program and thinking about transferring there. But I am about 90% sure that I will be going to ASU. There program has been running now for almost 6 years now and is considered one of the tops in the country--renewable energies engineering. I am also going to major in sociology and biology. Probably marine or biochem.

Sometimes I wonder why I am here but Cruces has really grown on me. Actually so has El Paso. What i miss most about Tucson is our beach, Rocky point! Tucson is a great city with lots to do and culture.

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
Unread 05/18/2010, 12:24 AM   #11
strayvoltage
Registered Member

ynnhoj86, welcome to the forum and thank you for showing the interest in STARS, as well as starting the new thread. We welcome any and all hobbyists that would like to attend meetings and or post on the forum. We are open to all suggestions as well.

Hector, I am sure you will bring plenty to the table, just attend when possible and ost a lot on here. That is the best thing any and all of us can do to help STARS grow and keep going. You are all so right in saying that the founding members are active posters and participants and have a passion for the hobby.

ynnhoj86, I don't sugar coat anything I lay it on the table and talk about it, look at it, turn it over and look at it some more and talk about it some more. It is all good and fine why the others have said STARS was started but the real reason is like this.
I was told that I was not welcome in elmar any longer and told that I should leave and go start a club some where else. So I with the help of many good people I spoke with done just that, and that my friend is the real reason STARS was created and started.
Please note I say none of this in a negative way, you ask a direct question and I gave you a direct honest answer and didn't beat around the bush.

All of that is behind us now and we are all moving forward and can only hope every person that hears about STARS will come join us and give a new friendly open society a chance. And will grow with us. We all have something to share and contribute to STARS.
All we have to do is take part and offer what we have and share as much with the other members as we can.

Again, thank you for the interest in STARS

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 12:28 AM   #12
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayvoltage View Post
ynnhoj86, welcome to the forum and thank you for showing the interest in STARS, as well as starting the new thread. We welcome any and all hobbyists that would like to attend meetings and or post on the forum. We are open to all suggestions as well.

Hector, I am sure you will bring plenty to the table, just attend when possible and ost a lot on here. That is the best thing any and all of us can do to help STARS grow and keep going. You are all so right in saying that the founding members are active posters and participants and have a passion for the hobby.

ynnhoj86, I don't sugar coat anything I lay it on the table and talk about it, look at it, turn it over and look at it some more and talk about it some more. It is all good and fine why the others have said STARS was started but the real reason is like this.
I was told that I was not welcome in elmar any longer and told that I should leave and go start a club some where else. So I with the help of many good people I spoke with done just that, and that my friend is the real reason STARS was created and started.
Please note I say none of this in a negative way, you ask a direct question and I gave you a direct honest answer and didn't beat around the bush.

All of that is behind us now and we are all moving forward and can only hope every person that hears about STARS will come join us and give a new friendly open society a chance. And will grow with us. We all have something to share and contribute to STARS.
All we have to do is take part and offer what we have and share as much with the other members as we can.

Again, thank you for the interest in STARS
Well said John! Big to you man!

Unread 05/18/2010, 02:01 AM   #13
strayvoltage
Registered Member

deehz, thank you.You young man are a real go getter I can really tell from your posts here and how you conduct yourself, that is a great thing keep it up. I am not looking for a thumbs up here. But rather just trying to be myself like always. I just call em like i see em.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 01:55 PM   #14
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

Love the STARS only place i dont get belittled and a bunch of PM's saying i am going to get into trouble! LOL

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:21 PM   #15
psuedopimp
Registered Member

give it time....

Unread 05/18/2010, 02:39 PM   #16
nmnative
Registered Member

TAKE IT TO PM LOL!!! Sorry, I had to say it....

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote