Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2010, 08:48 AM   #1
jtinoco
Registered Member

Question Refugium question

First of all, this forum is awesome! As you can see on my join date, I haven't been part of RC for a long time. I was at El Mar for a while and decided to be a bit more active when the logo thing came up. I was somewhat dissappointed when things went sour so I gave up on it. This new forum seems very welcoming. Now with my question.

I'm new to the hobby; sorry if I don't use all the appropriate or correct terms. I took on the task of making a DIY refugium last night. I got a 20 gallon long tank and some pieces of plexiglass. I couldn't find a silicon that was aquarium safe at Lowes so I ended up buying the expensive silicon from the petstore. I did one over and under over flow/partition on one side and one single over flow on the other end. The tanks dimensions are 30"X12"X12". The over and under partition is only about 6 inches from the bottom up then goes under and back up and over another 6 inch overflow. Is this too short or should they be taller? I kinda noticed it after I had already siliconed everything. The over flows reach half way up the tank. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to this?

The refugium is divided in three sections total. One section where the water drops then the middle section to hold live rock and some chaeto. The last section is for the return pump and skimmer. I'm posting from my phone so I can't post pics sorry.

jtinoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Sounds like you are off to a good start. There is nothing wrong with where you have placed the baffles, except that it is limiting your water capacity. You want your refugium to hold as much water as possible. On my refugium I have the top of the baffles placed approximately 4 inches from the top of the tank. This allows the tank to hold all the water in my overflow if the return pump was to fail, prevents water from overflowing out of the sump and onto the floor.

Your design is good also, another option is to split the drain into two sections of the sump, one on the right to hold the bulk of the water flowing into the sump and will also house your skimmer, one on the left will a low flow of water feeding into a "refugium" section, both right and left chambers will then flow into the middle chamber where the return pump is. The idea is to have a really low flow rate in the refugium section so that copepods can populate in a "calmer" section of the sump and the water has more time to interact with your live rock and chaeto.

Again, there is no rule of thumb to sump design and use what works best for you, just remember that it is about adding water capacity to your system more than anything else. IMO

jay

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:33 AM   #3
amore169
Registered Member

This is the way i would do it, first chamber for the skimmer where the water drops from the main tank, then your baffles, then your refugium where u have water dropping from the main tank where u can control the water flow with a valve, then ur return pump, but there's many different ideas check out this thread;

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=refugiums

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.

Last edited by amore169; 05/18/2010 at 09:41 AM.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:46 AM   #4
jtinoco
Registered Member

Awesome. Thanx. I may have to just redo the baffles so they are taller.

That's the word: "baffles". Lol

Unread 05/18/2010, 10:05 AM   #5
psuedopimp
Registered Member

yeah you want to have the ability to have as much water as possible. more water more stability. but you also need to know how much your overflow is going to dump in there during a power outage. overflow the sump onto wood floors and you will realize how well the wife watches the tank.

Unread 05/18/2010, 10:36 AM   #6
jtinoco
Registered Member

My wife would definitely keep an eye on the tank if that happened.

Now I'm just considering either drilling the tank or using a HOB overflow.

Kind of scared of drilling. Don't like the look of the HOB overflow either.

Dang! Decisions decisions.

Unread 05/18/2010, 11:14 AM   #7
psuedopimp
Registered Member

talk to Deehz, he is about to drill. maybe you can have a drill party

Unread 05/18/2010, 12:48 PM   #8
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

Make sure you use glass!!! plexiglass does not bond well silicone. I have build many and i mean many fuges! Give me a call and i can walk you through the process better. If i dont answer i am at work. lol Thanks

Steffen Sparks
918-760-7249

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 01:06 PM   #9
SOULEMAN
Registered Member

also GE type 1 silicon is safe to use and you can pick it up at Lowes. I use it on all the sumps I build.
Dennis

SOULEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 07:32 PM   #10
strayvoltage
Registered Member

You can use plexi with silicone, just rough up the edge and sides with some 80 grit sand paper and it gives the silicone something to grab to. That has always worked well for me.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 08:49 PM   #11
deehz
Registered Member

Actually, getting ready to drill the tank. I hope next week. If you are around, we can drill both tanks. I am buying my overflow from http://www.glass-holes.com/. Take a look at them. They are very affordable overflows and they come with a glass hole saw. You can custom order one for your own specs or buy theirs already pre-made. Either way, they are a better solution to the hang on the back overflow type. But then again, here is one overflow that you may want to consider that is a hang on the back and they get great reviews on their overflows and their products, http://lifereef.com/frame.html. Just in case you are gun shy about drilling your tank. Believe me, I understand!

Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 07:31 AM   #12
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
Actually, getting ready to drill the tank. I hope next week. If you are around, we can drill both tanks. I am buying my overflow from http://www.glass-holes.com/. Take a look at them. They are very affordable overflows and they come with a glass hole saw. You can custom order one for your own specs or buy theirs already pre-made. Either way, they are a better solution to the hang on the back overflow type. But then again, here is one overflow that you may want to consider that is a hang on the back and they get great reviews on their overflows and their products, http://lifereef.com/frame.html. Just in case you are gun shy about drilling your tank. Believe me, I understand!

Thanks!
Thanx for the info. Not sure if I can do it this week or next. Super busy at work. But I think I'd rather drill than use the HOB overflow.

Unread 05/19/2010, 02:08 PM   #13
deehz
Registered Member

Just let me know when you can do it. I am pretty sure I am doing next week. My oldest son wants to take part in the 72 bow front build; he is out of school next week. I am pretty stoked about him taking part in this. He mentioned that he wants to start taking care of the smaller tank. If not, you can buy everything from glass-holes except for the hole saw and you can borrow mine when you are ready.

Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 02:49 PM   #14
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
Just let me know when you can do it. I am pretty sure I am doing next week. My oldest son wants to take part in the 72 bow front build; he is out of school next week. I am pretty stoked about him taking part in this. He mentioned that he wants to start taking care of the smaller tank. If not, you can buy everything from glass-holes except for the hole saw and you can borrow mine when you are ready.

Thanks!
Awesome. I'll be in touch.