Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2010, 01:12 AM   #126
bagz727
Registered Member

does your regal angel nip any of your corals especially lps or zoas?

bagz727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2010, 03:46 AM   #127
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktsintst View Post
WOW! Very nice man.
Roktsintst: thanks, your tank is definitely good looking as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagz727 View Post
does your regal angel nip any of your corals especially lps or zoas?
Bagz727: it definitely does: zoa's are no more than fish food in my tank. LPS is a bit hit or miss: Euphyllia, Goniopora, Turbinaria and some Favia's are fine. Lobophyllia, Acanthastrea and most Blastomussas are fish food as well. I do have some Blasto's which are left alone. I rather keep this regal and keep some other corals on the spot where I could have kept the corals which I cannot keep together with the fish. Also, I do feed heavily and often, a satisfied fish is less likely to nip. Life is about priorities

As I already have this regal angel for about 8 years, I definitely allow him to misbehave every now and then

Tanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 02:06 PM   #128
Tanu
Registered Member

I shot a new video for today... The tank is recovering quite well from a AEFW-infestation I discovered not too long ago...

Be sure to watch in HD

Unread 12/06/2010, 08:18 PM   #129
chingchai
Premium Member

Tanne. Great video.
Thanks for sharing.

BTW, how do you control AEFW infestation?

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 01:29 PM   #130
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Tanne. Great video.
Thanks for sharing.

BTW, how do you control AEFW infestation?
Thank you Chingchai, I also really like the short video you just put online.

I did find out about the AEFW a few months ago. Due to personal circumstances, I did not have the possibility to remove and dip all Acroporid corals. I read on the Korallen-zucht website (www.korallen-zucht.de) about a method involving a 'cleaning station for corals', using a separate tank with lots of fire shrimp, Rhynchocinetes durbanensis. I inquired at KZ about the risks and effects of adding these shrimp to the main tank to increase predation pressure on the AEFW. Thomas Pohl advised me against it, stating that I would be better off treating the corals in a separate tank.

As I knew I did not have that possibility by then, I decided to choose an 'intermediate' solution: I did dip the corals which I could remove easily multiple times in iodine baths. Apart from that I ordered 5 large fire shrimp to add to my main tank. My idea was that this could not be worse than not doing anything at all, and that I could always catch these shrimp if necessary. I ordered large shrimp because I did not want my wrasses to regard them as food.

My combined method turned out to be successful (at least for me ). STN dissapeared and I don't see any of the damage which I expected from the addition of these shrimp to the tank. As far as I know, all five shrimp are still in the tank.

Apart from the shrimp there are a Halichoerus cosmetus and a mated pair of blue mandarins in the tank, which three also are being touted as possible predators of flatworms. Also, I do keep an orange spot filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris) which, according to some sources, might also pick on predators on Acroporids.

Anyway, I'm really happy to seeing things improve in my tank

Unread 12/07/2010, 02:58 PM   #131
Ryan927
Registered Member

Looks amazing, nice job.

Ryan927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 06:39 PM   #132
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu View Post
Thank you Chingchai, I also really like the short video you just put online.

I did find out about the AEFW a few months ago. Due to personal circumstances, I did not have the possibility to remove and dip all Acroporid corals. I read on the Korallen-zucht website (www.korallen-zucht.de) about a method involving a 'cleaning station for corals', using a separate tank with lots of fire shrimp, Rhynchocinetes durbanensis. I inquired at KZ about the risks and effects of adding these shrimp to the main tank to increase predation pressure on the AEFW. Thomas Pohl advised me against it, stating that I would be better off treating the corals in a separate tank.

As I knew I did not have that possibility by then, I decided to choose an 'intermediate' solution: I did dip the corals which I could remove easily multiple times in iodine baths. Apart from that I ordered 5 large fire shrimp to add to my main tank. My idea was that this could not be worse than not doing anything at all, and that I could always catch these shrimp if necessary. I ordered large shrimp because I did not want my wrasses to regard them as food.

My combined method turned out to be successful (at least for me ). STN dissapeared and I don't see any of the damage which I expected from the addition of these shrimp to the tank. As far as I know, all five shrimp are still in the tank.

Apart from the shrimp there are a Halichoerus cosmetus and a mated pair of blue mandarins in the tank, which three also are being touted as possible predators of flatworms. Also, I do keep an orange spot filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris) which, according to some sources, might also pick on predators on Acroporids.

Anyway, I'm really happy to seeing things improve in my tank
Tanne. Thanks for your reply.
From what I hear, this shrimp is not reef safe.
You must be very lucky.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 08:53 AM   #133
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan927 View Post
Looks amazing, nice job.
Ryan: thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Tanne. Thanks for your reply.
From what I hear, this shrimp is not reef safe.
You must be very lucky.
Chingchai, I also heard this story. I wonder if we haven't improved our tank husbandry so much that the corals can keep up with some damage.

As long as I don't see any visible damage, I plan to keep a small group in the tank just as an 'insurance' to lower the risk of pests like these.

Apart from that: no risk no fun, we shouldn't keep angels in our reef either

Unread 12/09/2010, 05:00 PM   #134
Tanu
Registered Member

I came home tonight to see my pair of Candy Basslets (Liopropoma carmabi) mating. Some things only happen after dark

Unread 01/30/2011, 05:21 AM   #135
Tanu
Registered Member

I just took some new pictures of some of my fishes:

Nemateleotris magnifica, my pair of gem tangs, my pair of blueline angels, and my orange spot filefish

Enjoy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gemma30.1.11.JPG (95.2 KB, 2012 views)
File Type: jpg magnifica30.1.11.JPG (68.5 KB, 2005 views)
File Type: jpg oxy30.1.11.jpg (91.4 KB, 2016 views)
File Type: jpg septentrionalis30.1.11.JPG (90.3 KB, 2008 views)
Unread 01/30/2011, 05:26 AM   #136
Tanu
Registered Member

And some more:

A Pseudanthias bartlettorum (one of three) from Kwajalein Atoll

One of my pair of Liopropoma carmabi

My regal angel

And an overview of the tank taken this morning

Have a nice day!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bartlettorum30.1.11.JPG (72.1 KB, 2002 views)
File Type: jpg pygo30.1.11.JPG (87.6 KB, 1992 views)
File Type: jpg carmabi30.1.11.JPG (82.3 KB, 2005 views)
File Type: jpg overz107.jpg (96.8 KB, 1994 views)
Unread 02/26/2011, 09:13 PM   #137
ksed
Registered Member

Tanne

Absolutely stunning .

Kevin

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 08:13 PM   #138
k.tran
Un-Registered Member

wow, just pure amazing tank!

k.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 05:38 AM   #139
Tanu
Registered Member

Time to blow off some dust of this topic

In the meanwhile some things have been changed, both in stocking, aquascape and equipment.

Most recent fish list:
5 Apogon leptacanthus
8 Pseudanthias bartlettorum
1 Serranocirrhites latus
2 Liopropoma carmabi
1 Paracentropyge multifasciata
1 Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis
1 Pygoplites diacanthus
2 Chromis cyanea
1 Oxymonacanthus longirostris
1 Doryramphus janssi
2 Amphiprion ocellaris
2 Zebrasoma flavescens
2 Z. gemmatum

Light has been changed to LED, zeovit has been replaced by NP Biopellets.

In a separate tank, attached to the same system, I keep a baby frogfish, I have it since April 2011.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg overz131b.jpg (81.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg hengelaar16.9.12.jpg (31.8 KB, 334 views)
Unread 09/16/2012, 05:44 AM   #140
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

as always, great aquarium

how long running LED's and what's your impressions?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 06:04 AM   #141
Tanu
Registered Member

Gary, I went from 2 x 250 W hqi (13.000 K) and 4 x 54 W T5 (blue) to 2 X Orphek Nilus and 1 x Orphek PR-156. I actually halved the energy consumption for the lighting and improved the look of the tank.

I made this switch in March this year and, because I had read the 'less positive' stories about led, I didn't sell my old lights immediately. I did sell them after a few months, because the 'too good to be true' list I found somewhere is completely true:

- less algae growth, not only on the glass but also on rocks straight under a lamp
- much less growth of cyanobacteria, much more growth of pink and purple calcareous algae
- better coral colouration
- improved growth of corals
- less chilling needed
- during shimmer, the effect of the UV leds (380-410 nm) combined with the blues and reds is fabulous

Of course, it was an investment, but I calculated that, given the extreme high prices for electricity in the Netherlands, these lights will earn themselves back in 3 years, compared to the old setup.

Unread 09/23/2012, 05:32 AM   #142
Tanu
Registered Member

Today I added an extra P. multifasciata. The one I already have is in my possession for about 2 years now, the new one comes from an existing tank. The newcomer origins from Vanuatu. Right now, they are finding out who will be the dominant one...

Also, I got a Nemateleotris magnifica from a friend, in whose tank it was being bullied. I hope it will have a nice and calm retirement in my tank

I took some more pictures...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5986.jpg (45.8 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5974.jpg (32.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5973.jpg (37.6 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5969.jpg (56.8 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5968.jpg (60.6 KB, 311 views)
Unread 09/23/2012, 05:38 AM   #143
Tanu
Registered Member

And more...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5967.jpg (45.2 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5965.jpg (48.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5963.jpg (54.5 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5980.jpg (54.4 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5979.jpg (67.8 KB, 301 views)
Unread 09/23/2012, 05:39 AM   #144
Tanu
Registered Member

And the last one for today...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5975.jpg (62.8 KB, 300 views)
Unread 09/23/2012, 06:43 AM   #145
d2mini
Registered Member

Dayummmmm... tank looks AWESOME! Very impressive.

Full tank shots?
Do you have any pics of your angular tank and how it's connected to the system?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 07:00 AM   #146
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Looks stunning Tanu!
I recently switched out my MH's with LED's as well.

I have a combined system of approximately 250 gallons consisting of:

120 Gallon tank (48x24x24)
58 gallon tank (36x18x21)
40 gallon tank (36x18x16)
75 gallon sump (48x18x18)

I had been running dual 250 w Phoenix 14K bulbs powered by an HQI ballast and dual 95 watt VHO actinics over the 120, dual XM15K bulbs over the 58, and a 250 watt Phoenix 14K and dual 55wat PC's over the 40.

Total wattage over those three tanks was 1550, which I replaced with 3 Radions, a Kessil A350W and a DIY unit. I'm now using about 650 watts and dont have to buy new bulbs every year either....

I'd heard good things about the Orphek lights, but decided to go with the Radion's after seeing them locally, and have been very happy with them.

I'd ultimately like to replace the Kessil and the DIY unit with a Radion as well.

I noticed your stock list has changed...

You used to have two C.septentrionalis (Blueline Angelfish), and two P.diacanthus (Regal Angelfish)....did something happen?

Nick

Unread 09/23/2012, 07:29 AM   #147
Tanu
Registered Member

[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Dayummmmm... tank looks AWESOME! Very impressive.

Full tank shots?
Do you have any pics of your angular tank and how it's connected to the system?
Thank you Dennis, here's a full tank shot for you:

I found a fts of the nano in which I keep the frogfish, here it was just set up:

The tank is small, it is a standard nano intended for fresh water. There is a nice 11 W white/blue PC light over it. I had the tank drilled by the lfs, so there is an overflow in it (standpipe with a strainer). There is a small (600 l/h) Eheim-pump in the sump of the large reef which supplies it with clean water and the overflow leads back to the same sump. So, the water is the same as in the large reef: optimum temperature and chemistry. And I don't have to worry about the bioload on the small tank. When the frogfish outgrows the tank, I either donate to someone who has more space, or I will upgrade the size of the tank, which is most likely the option I'll choose because the angler is a very nice pet! When I bought the angler it was the size of my thumbnail, now (about 1 year later) it has grown with about 1 cm.

Apart from the angler, there are some easy corals in it, including a neon-green Heteropsammia cochlea which crawls through the tank. To have some grazers, I put in some snails from the reef tank. The buddha statue is cut from limestone, I bought it in Bali a few years ago. Now it is encrusted with coralline algae, it is kitsch but I like it in this strange tank

I also found two newer pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Looks stunning Tanu!
I recently switched out my MH's with LED's as well.

I have a combined system of approximately 250 gallons consisting of:

120 Gallon tank (48x24x24)
58 gallon tank (36x18x21)
40 gallon tank (36x18x16)
75 gallon sump (48x18x18)

I had been running dual 250 w Phoenix 14K bulbs powered by an HQI ballast and dual 95 watt VHO actinics over the 120, dual XM15K bulbs over the 58, and a 250 watt Phoenix 14K and dual 55wat PC's over the 40.

Total wattage over those three tanks was 1550, which I replaced with 3 Radions, a Kessil A350W and a DIY unit. I'm now using about 650 watts and dont have to buy new bulbs every year either....

I'd heard good things about the Orphek lights, but decided to go with the Radion's after seeing them locally, and have been very happy with them.

I'd ultimately like to replace the Kessil and the DIY unit with a Radion as well.

I noticed your stock list has changed...

You used to have two C.septentrionalis (Blueline Angelfish), and two P.diacanthus (Regal Angelfish)....did something happen?

Nick
Thanks Nick! I've not seen the Kessils in action, but the Radions are nice! No buyer's remorse on the Orpheks at all in my case! Apart from the initial investment, I only see benefits of this switch!

About the angelfish, you've kept a close eye on the list! One of the two septentrionalis never grew very well and didn't eat fish food, it only grazed on the corals. I think it wasn't healthy from the start, it disappeared one day.

The Regal-story is even worse. I began with one Regal a little more than 9 years ago, let's call this one nr 1. After a few years I added another one, nr. 2, which was about 1" when I got it. 1 and 2 fell in love after a few years, they were a mated pair and spawned lots of times until 2 probably grew too big and became agressive to 1. 1 had torn fins and nearly didn't come out to eat anymore, I needed to do something. So, I caught 2 and placed in the sump to let 1 recover. Also, I wanted to adjust the balance between the fish. When I placed 2 back after a week, this worked out well, actually too well: 1 chased 2 so badly I was able to scoop it out with a net after a day. It died the next day. I felt really sorry for the fish. Now I will only stick with one regal, which will celebrate it's 10th birthday in my hands in March 2013...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg casa_hengelaar11.11.10.jpg (92.9 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg hengelaar7.7.11a.jpg (50.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg hengelaar7.7.11b.jpg (45.8 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by Tanu; 09/23/2012 at 07:43 AM.
Unread 09/23/2012, 07:51 AM   #148
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Sorry to hear that Tanu....

I've had a Regal since Nov 2007 and my Blueline for a little over a year.....
Strange that the mated pair of Regals turned on each other after so long together....

Regardless, your tank is beautiful and an inspiration for the rest of us...

Nick

Unread 09/23/2012, 08:45 AM   #149
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Sorry to hear that Tanu....

I've had a Regal since Nov 2007 and my Blueline for a little over a year.....
Strange that the mated pair of Regals turned on each other after so long together....

Regardless, your tank is beautiful and an inspiration for the rest of us...

Nick
Thanks Nick! Regals and bluelines are really beautiful and if kept well, quite reef safe...

I try to find a balance between 'nice tank' and 'spending time on other nice things', it's hard to find that balance, but over time I found that with the right choices, it's quite well possible to shift a bit more towards 'spending time on other nice things'...

Unread 09/23/2012, 09:40 AM   #150
HHIreefer843
Registered Member

woah cool tank!!! two gem tangs, gotta love it!!!