Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2019, 10:44 AM   #1
mmarisca
Registered Member

Tank Upgrade--where would you go for tank?

I'm in early stages of budgeting out upgrading from a 90 to 150. Where would you go to look for a new tank keeping budget in mind? I'm not that interested in a scratched up used one.

Thanks

mmarisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Mrtakeoff53
Registered Member

This is the tank I’d buy! http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-G...p/sca-150g.htm It’s what I wanted but didn’t have the budget to set up a 150. I already owned their 50 gal cube and love it! They have great prices. I’ve had my tank 5 years and moved with it. When I upgrade, it’s what I’m getting.

Unread 07/11/2019, 09:46 AM   #3
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^2nd that. What for deals and they do ship.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 10:23 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I got a tank from my local fish store for cheaper than anywhere I found online..
Deep Blue 80G rimless is what I got.. It was ~$300

But I have heard that SCA has some great systems/tanks and their pricing isn't bad at all for what it is...

I enjoy piecing my own system together though/drilling..

Unread 07/11/2019, 04:43 PM   #5
wildman926
Registered Member

Planet Aquariums - the owners/builders are ex-Oceanic employees.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 05:09 PM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

Depends if you're looking for something standard or custom.

Also could depend on where you're located if you need to factor in shipping to the price.

Finally, it depends on the level of quality you're looking for. For example, high-end could mean something like a Reef Savvy tank, but be prepared to wait for it.

Unread 07/11/2019, 05:12 PM   #7
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtakeoff53 View Post
This is the tank I’d buy! http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-G...p/sca-150g.htm It’s what I wanted but didn’t have the budget to set up a 150. I already owned their 50 gal cube and love it! They have great prices. I’ve had my tank 5 years and moved with it. When I upgrade, it’s what I’m getting.
Wow... their website is um, no so good.

Unread 07/11/2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Id go for a 180 long

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Mrtakeoff53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Wow... their website is um, no so good.
Haha! It’s quite terrible, actually. However, I’ve visited their warehouse in Southern California and the guy there was very helpful. He even unboxed a 150 gal for me to look at. It was a beautiful tank. I actually bought my 50 gal through Amazon though. Their PNP systems aren’t worth it IMO, their sump is not so good and the plumbing that comes with it isn’t the best. However, the tank is AWESOME and a great price.

Unread 07/12/2019, 02:10 PM   #10
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarisca View Post
...upgrading from a 90 to 150...
There's a lot of stock options there - and not knowing what you mean by budget it's really tough to say. If it's got to be new or nothing I'd find the least expensive option and add an overflow.

Slightly used doesn't need to be "all scratched up". There is a guy near Detroit selling his not yet a year old 90 and all the gear/livestock for 600 bucks. good value for a factory drilled tank and fair LED's.

anyway, good luck with your project.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 07:08 AM   #11
billdogg
Registered Member

I prefer to buy my tanks form the LFS - I don't trust shippers to get them to me in one piece.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 09:27 PM   #12
1000rrstunna
Registered Member

I chose planet aquariums. I was a little unhappy they didn’t do two things I asked. But the tank quality is excellent for the $

The morons packing it damaged my canopy they credited me 200$ or offered replacement.
They didn’t make me an overflow box lid
They didn’t cut the stand for overflow plumbing so I had to do it with 6 ppl waiting around who came to help me move it in with a jigsaw.
They setup the return loc line out stupid as well. And I needed to epoxy in a knockout on one side but you can’t tell and it was easy to do after they sent some with the overflow box lid.

The stand is beautiful
The craftsmanship on the tank is outstanding
The price was fair.

1000rrstunna is offline   Reply With Quote