Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2017, 05:28 PM   #1
LesMelling
Registered Old Reefer

Detritus, is it as bad as it's made out to be?

My current tank is 100 gallons and 19months old with lots of SPS and LPS corals, I have lots of flow in there and I mean LOTS. I have 1" to 3" of sand in the DT. I feed at least 3 times a day often 4 and I still get detritus in my fine sand. I have an ATS Nyos 160 skimmer a calcium reactor together with a kalk stirrer and have some Siporax contained in some eggcrate and have 2 Oxydator As in the sump running 9% peroxide.

I employ no pre-filtration what so ever, that's right no filter wool no socks or roller mat.

I have detritus in my sump. I have very low nutrient levels NO3 between 0.5 and 1ppm PO4 is at 0.018ppm. My SPS and other corals are growing wonderfully under mt Radions Gen 3 pros. What am I doing wrong? Strange question you might think but my hidden question is really just what is all this fuss about detritus. I stir the sand no and again in the DT which feeds my SPS.
I admit to a little red cyno but that does not phase me at all. I have a few cuc in the DT but not so many. So is my detritus so different to all this bad stuff I hear about? OK so I know my ATS is removing NO3 and PO4 hence their low levels but others could employ the same with similar results right?

Do you really need pre-filters with the mess they bring and are you sure they are so necessary along with the enemy of detritus build up?

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon reef
LesMelling is offline   Reply With Quote