Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2017, 07:07 PM   #26
bertoni
RC Mod

That might be beyond saturation, then, if carbon dioxide doesn't degrade the mix. I am not sure what happened.

Unread 10/10/2017, 07:25 PM   #27
karimwassef
Registered Member

It's still clear though

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 08:04 PM   #28
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, I might consider testing the concentration, which could be done with some accuracy with a pH meter, or with more accuracy with a conductivity meter calibrated in the appropriate range.

Unread 10/12/2017, 12:05 AM   #29
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Thinking you're over thinking this, imo it was simply up take, this is large system with many large corals , what you witnessed is the limit of up take before the corals locked out the unneeded . In hydroponics its seen often that ph locks out different nutrients based on ph , very similar to corals, 8.8 is not that high in retrospect, it just locks out the calcium. Simply to see, I believe you stumbled apon a gift...imo coral farming is like growing tomatoes , give them what they want not what you think they need, take the approach that your test kits are there just confirming what you see, with your eyes, and know, we sometimes forget that no one knows your tank better thAn you, just wAtching video of your tank I saw you know that, but I also understand that rc is great place for advice an insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 12:18 AM   #30
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
Thinking you're over thinking this, imo it was simply up take, this is large system with many large corals , what you witnessed is the limit of up take before the corals locked out the unneeded . In hydroponics its seen often that ph locks out different nutrients based on ph , very similar to corals, 8.8 is not that high in retrospect, it just locks out the calcium. Simply to see, I believe you stumbled apon a gift...imo coral farming is like growing tomatoes , give them what they want not what you think they need, take the approach that your test kits are there just confirming what you see, with your eyes, and know, we sometimes forget that no one knows your tank better thAn you, just wAtching video of your tank I saw you know that, but I also understand that rc is great place for advice an insight.

How truly accurate is your ph probe actually? Test it lately? Just a thought , I use a home made kalk reactor, in line w my ato from rodi, this system nowhere mature as yours, I track volume threw apex, in my system I run automatic water changer, I start with low dkh water ,and let the system draw what it needs, but I still have high alk/cal I only know because I see it with my eyes no test kits, I don't know the numbers because I don't care. Like I said tomatoes..almost the same..lol..

Unread 10/12/2017, 11:45 AM   #31
karimwassef
Registered Member

I calibrate monthly - doesn't usually change much. I also use two probes to make sure they rise and fall together.

I don't think consumption would do it.. it's 100gals of kalk. I'm not measuring growth any more but I did see a kick, but my corals always grow fast.

The idea of injecting as much kalk as I want and depending on the injector to sort it out is intriguing, but I think that saturation kicks in at some point and things can get messy.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/13/2017, 12:50 AM   #32
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I calibrate monthly - doesn't usually change much. I also use two probes to make sure they rise and fall together.

I don't think consumption would do it.. it's 100gals of kalk. I'm not measuring growth any more but I did see a kick, but my corals always grow fast.

The idea of injecting as much kalk as I want and depending on the injector to sort it out is intriguing, but I think that saturation kicks in at some point and things can get messy.
Yes , on saturation , do the math on exactly how much you overdosed you'll find not that much ppm for a system of your size w large colonies like you have, I stick to the uptake, your mishap was short lived, but you seen it. They did quiet well considering the level of the mishap , one would think it would be the end all, but the large colonies and system acts as a buffer, I believe your ideal number is close to What you think is a" "overdose" level, you showed your self that, in the chase to keep balanced. We sometimes forget that the easy is in or eyes. Btw I hate two part..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Unread 10/13/2017, 01:10 AM   #33
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Other thing , in my kalk reactor , it's on my ato , but if it free flowed a 100 gallons it would be week because it didn't have time to saturate , just blows straight threw , only rodi water , right past the reactor, maybe you seen some of that as well and your over all overdose is lower than you calculated..just a thought..

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:45 AM   #34
karimwassef
Registered Member

Oh no... my kalk mud is thick and heavy. Every drop of water flows into the bottom and has an agitating motor that keep it fluidized.

Every new drop passes through that fluidized bed of kalk before leaving my reactor. NONE ESCAPE UNTOUCHED! I take my saturation seriously.

Unread 10/13/2017, 02:31 PM   #35
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

I'm trying...lol

Unread 10/14/2017, 02:18 AM   #36
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Still thinking uptake, any other real ideas?

Unread 10/14/2017, 02:54 AM   #37
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Did you figure the math on overdose , still say not that much. Did you lose salinity?

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:59 AM   #38
orcafood
Registered Member

I think post 21 had some ball park estimates

Kevin

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon sps
orcafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 08:11 AM   #39
karimwassef
Registered Member

I hate to say it but I might need to rerun the event to learn what happened

There was zero harm done to the tank so, in theory, it should be ok....

Since I'm moving soon, I might be able to pull it off with a nearly empty tank... just sand and fish.

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:16 AM   #40
karimwassef
Registered Member

But this time, I'll calibrate all probes before I do it and then measure parameters every couple of hours & check for any clouds or precipitation.

The only changed variables will be that the algae scrubber and coral will be removed, which would impact photosynthesis but the event was at night when only the scrubber 400W LEDs were on

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:27 AM   #41
orcafood
Registered Member

Great idea! Very interested to see what happens.

Kevin

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:28 AM   #42
karimwassef
Registered Member

Fear... working the courage up. There's a lot of life all over my system.

Unread 10/17/2017, 12:41 PM   #43
Horace
Registered Member

The PH spike probably precipitated out some alk. I have twice dumped two full gallons of two part with an accidental syphon. So bad the water was like milk. I never lost anything....and tank was full of SPS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 01:27 PM   #44
karimwassef
Registered Member

So a small mistake is deadly but a big enough one fixes itself?

Unread 10/18/2017, 04:53 AM   #45
orcafood
Registered Member

Tons of fresh CO2 injection from air fixes kalk, in your system it fixed itself. I have never had a problem over dosing both 2 parts at once as was noted, the worst is when one gets over dosed by itself. Mix the 2 part together, immidiate cloud. when they both over dose a tank, not too bad, just cloudy.

With a kalk OD + co2 or a 2 part od, the net effect should be a caco3 cloudy tank. Better than not precipitating for the reef health.

Kevin