Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2010, 08:54 PM   #1
gr8nano
Registered Member

best additives for sps color?

Im looking to enhance my frag colors in my 28 gallon nano. any suggestions would be helpful. i have many different types so best overall for color. mostly green blue yellow pink. thanks for the help!!

gr8nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 05:29 AM   #2
offroadodge
Registered Member

aminos

Current Tank Info: custom 200G
offroadodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 10:45 AM   #3
gr8nano
Registered Member

i suppose i should have written a little more. Im in a 28 gallon nano with a variety of sps. millis, acro, stags, torts. I have a nice mix of color already and with a 20k usio 150w hallide and 2 18 watt actinics i get decent color. im just looking for the "POP"! i dose to keep ph and alk at normal levels and still have good growth, but just want that little bit extra. Maybe it should be light switch? 14k? anybody have luck with zeovit? again, all input is appreciated! thanks!

gr8nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 10:47 AM   #4
marinelife
Registered Member

Change your lights to more blue!

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 10:59 AM   #5
WhiteLightsaber
Registered Member

More blue than 20k with actinics? Is that possible? Do you feed your corals at all? I like using coral frenzy and oyster eggs to help with color.

WhiteLightsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 11:04 AM   #6
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

IMO color is a balancing act... I use zeo supps and they are good. What I think promotes great color is the following:

1) have enough fish in there to create poo. Never underestimate the power of poo. With that said it is a balancing act. You don't want to feed too much that your Po4 rises above IMO .05ppm. A little bit of Nitrates IMO is also ok. I'd say < .10. My tank has no nitrate and .03ppm Hanna.

2) Keep you light bulbs rotated regularly. I run XM 20K's 400W with Icecap ballasts. I change them out every 5 - 6 mos. When I get close to 6mos I can tell a decrease in growth and color.

3) good flow and water paramaters STABLE is also key. Alk/ca as stable as possible. I use dosing pumps.. Litermeter...

4) Genetics is also good. Get good quality frags. not all are created equal.

5) Good husbandry.. Weekly water changes, siphoning detrius etc..

As far as supplements go I like the following Zeo sups. In order of my favs:

Sponge Power
Potassium Iodide
Pohls Extra
AA's

I also use Zeozyme and Coral Snow. I believe this helps keep the skimmer perfoming at peak efficiency.

Happy Reefing.
Chris

cwegescheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 09:30 PM   #7
offroadodge
Registered Member

add a VHO Super Actinic and everything that flouresces will glow giving it the pop u r looking for.

Current Tank Info: custom 200G
offroadodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 09:54 PM   #8
tate1
Registered Member

+1 of offroadodge. Good healthy coral can really pop under vho's.

Current Tank Info: Mixed reef. A few fish and tons of coral. We are trying to keep only exotics. We have SPS but perfer zoas and chalices.
tate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 10:11 AM   #9
wickedfish
Moved On

What brand aminos and how much do you dose per gallon? Andd if anyone has a before and after on dosing aminos?

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 11:38 AM   #10
sanababit
Registered Member

the best addidtives are

Low PO4
Good Lighting
Good Alk

Thats it for me

Sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwegescheide View Post
IMO color is a balancing act... I use zeo supps and they are good. What I think promotes great color is the following:

1) have enough fish in there to create poo. Never underestimate the power of poo. With that said it is a balancing act. You don't want to feed too much that your Po4 rises above IMO .05ppm. A little bit of Nitrates IMO is also ok. I'd say < .10. My tank has no nitrate and .03ppm Hanna.

2) Keep you light bulbs rotated regularly. I run XM 20K's 400W with Icecap ballasts. I change them out every 5 - 6 mos. When I get close to 6mos I can tell a decrease in growth and color.

3) good flow and water paramaters STABLE is also key. Alk/ca as stable as possible. I use dosing pumps.. Litermeter...

Sponge Power
Potassium Iodide
Pohls Extra
AA's

I also use Zeozyme and Coral Snow. I believe this helps keep the skimmer perfoming at peak efficiency.

Happy Reefing.
Chris
coral Vitelizer as well.

PS. mix the additives, Xtra, AA and CV with Coral snow then feed ! makes a HUGE difference as the corals take it up easier !

Amino acids are really more for PE than coloring., but I guess better PE would help as well.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 01:46 PM   #12
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
coral Vitelizer as well.

PS. mix the additives, Xtra, AA and CV with Coral snow then feed ! makes a HUGE difference as the corals take it up easier !

Amino acids are really more for PE than coloring., but I guess better PE would help as well.
How do you make such assumptions?? Has there been any study on such things or is this just personal observation?

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanacker View Post
How do you make such assumptions?? Has there been any study on such things or is this just personal observation?
why do u assume its an assumption before asking ?

you SPS ppl really dont like me ehh lol

and to answer, I got it from the best Zeovit source anyone can get. lets just say it goes back to MR. Pahl. I will not post names.

PS. you are more than welcome to think its a myth and NOT try it sorry for wanting to help, you guys really make me sorry for sharing info here ! mixing PCS with the coral food is a common practice proven to work, and just like any other Zeovit additive or mix, there are only info on the results and they dont let any info out !

Last edited by Allmost; 07/26/2010 at 02:44 PM.
Unread 07/26/2010, 05:03 PM   #14
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

Sorry your right. I should have said "is that an assumption?". And basically what you are telling me is that you believe this simply because someone told you.

Don't take me wrong......it may be true but it may not be as well. I like to see scientific proof or studies or some evidence of some type before I just believe something. I'm just a skeptic at heart I guess.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 05:10 PM   #15
mrpet
Registered Member

prodibio i have been useing it for about 6 months now so far i love it. much better color and better growth as well.

Current Tank Info: 375 in wall with 180 sump
mrpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 05:41 PM   #16
LifeAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:

Sponge Power
Potassium Iodide
Pohls Extra
AA's

Happy Reefing.
Chris
+1 For this response. Its all about the balance. I have no experience with zeo but Im sure it works great under the proper low nutrient conditions.

I get the happiest during feeding.. Thats when my large purple tang craps out a big one. The big one is usally pulled into my vortech and chopped into a million pieces and scattered through the tank. Awe, natures fertilizer in action. Corals love it. They tell me so by displaying vivid colors.

LifeAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Atomikk
SPS OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadodge View Post
aminos

It would be much cheaper just to feed your fish.

*Reef Tip: to gauge the toxicity of PO4s in your tank, keep an eye on the growth of Chaetomorpha macro algae. As more toxic levels of PO4s are present, the slower the macro algae grows (as it stuns th

Current Tank Info: soon to be 400 gal
Atomikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 05:57 PM   #18
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Sorry your right. I should have said "is that an assumption?". And basically what you are telling me is that you believe this simply because someone told you.

Don't take me wrong......it may be true but it may not be as well. I like to see scientific proof or studies or some evidence of some type before I just believe something. I'm just a skeptic at heart I guess.
Please don't get him started. It will just shut down another good thread.

I think it is good practice to state where you get your info. If it is YOUR experiment then tell about it. That way more people can try what you have been doing and see if it is a value to them. Not every tank is the same.

Also posting names is not a bad thing. Just don't use a quote out of context. If the "high up" person really said what you say then they shouldn't be afraid to share it with the world. Especially if it can help us keep corals healthier in our aquariums. That can lead to endless possibilities in this hobby.

JMO

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 06:32 PM   #19
xtm
Registered Member

You only have a nano.. no need to drop tons of additives on it. A good old water change, low-nutrient, proper feeding approach is good enough. I would maybe add drops of Amino Acid and that's it. Forget the blue lighting for pop... I would use a strong 10K (like an XM 10K) and a VHO Super Actinic. The thing is that most 20K lamps tend to "wash out" the tank color.. 10K is full spectrum that brings out the reds, greens, and yellows... the 420nm actinics bring out the flourescence of the corals, and also enhances the blues.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 06:58 PM   #20
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:

Sponge Power
Potassium Iodide
Pohls Extra
AA's

Happy Reefing.
Chris
+2
Well said my friend

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 10:04 PM   #21
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

purple tang craps out a big one! lolololol

Purple Tang craps out a big one!!! lolololololol hillarious! lolol

ideal for coral growth! Beats any frenzy! lololol

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 10:30 PM   #22
wickedfish
Moved On

who sells prodibio?

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2010, 09:43 AM   #23
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Please don't get him started. It will just shut down another good thread.

I think it is good practice to state where you get your info. If it is YOUR experiment then tell about it. That way more people can try what you have been doing and see if it is a value to them. Not every tank is the same.

Also posting names is not a bad thing. Just don't use a quote out of context. If the "high up" person really said what you say then they shouldn't be afraid to share it with the world. Especially if it can help us keep corals healthier in our aquariums. That can lead to endless possibilities in this hobby.

JMO
I have no Idea where ure anger comes from, perhaps problems at home hence why u had to get a reef tank, but as many know Zeovit do not publish what is in their bottel nor are there any SCIENTIFIC papers on Zeovit. look at Zeovit bottels, no ingredients ! perhaps a bit more research, and you would have found this out

about names, its a personal choice, him and me do not want to post names, as mentioned above, Zeovit info are NOT published. you will not find a ingredient list for Zeovit additives ! so please, I ask you to not hate me cause of your lack of knowledge, I shared some really good info here, and those who understand it, will try it or research on it, you on the other hand are following me around with hate replies like this.

Unread 07/27/2010, 09:45 AM   #24
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:

lol I know, I told my Zeovit friends last time, I said Zeovit is like a religion, u gotta have faith ! if u ask to be shown god or in this case ingeredients of the blue bottels, u get nothing
lol

Unread 07/27/2010, 12:04 PM   #25
Allmost
Moved On

ok I should add that adding PCS too much will have fading effects on corals. specially millies. so the right amount will have more effect, too much will fade the SPS (as with any Zeovit product ) lol