Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2016, 02:16 PM   #26
trueperc
Registered Member

I feel the OP pain. I have found kessil in the warranty period to be amazing company even living up here in Canada. They replace two of my lights that died in under a year with out any hassle. Unfortunately I had another one died and wasn't even offered a deal on a light and was told they would not even repair even if I paid. They stated it would be cheaper just to buy a new light, which I find very hard to believe. Something similar happened to a friend of mine recently and he was offered one at a reduced price as his was out of the warranty period. Personally I would never buy kessil again. Really nice little light, love the shimmer but I will personally either stick with ecotech or Ai as with them at least I can buy parts and upgrade or go cheap ebay and when they die its not a big hit. These kessil are around $500 plus our taxes up here in Canada.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 02:55 PM   #27
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
His argument is mute He lives outside the US so no warranty, no different if someone in Canada buys a Tunze,. Tunze will not honor the warranty.
I had an issue with Tunze and they honored the 1 year warranty.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 08:33 PM   #28
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^ Hey Mike did you buy the Tunze from a Canadian source or a US source?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 08:46 PM   #29
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Tunze

Quote:
^^^^ Hey Mike did you buy the Tunze from a Canadian source or a US source?
Local.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 08:47 PM   #30
FirstContact
Registered Member

Thanks to MD for checking in on this thread and with Kessil. Great CS as always. It's great that we have a better warranty in the US, but not so great for our Canadian neighbors and international friends missing out. $500 CAD for a single light is a lot of clams.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 03:24 PM   #31
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Just had one of my 380 lights blow. Never did send in the warranty card. Called Kessil, gave them the serial number. They were able to look up where and when it had been bought, that it was still under warranty (2 years bought from BRS). A replacement is on its way. Had to give them a CC hold, but no charge as long as I ship back the duff unit within 30 days. Hard to find anything to criticize in the process. Top notch CS!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 10/11/2017 at 10:04 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 03:29 PM   #32
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
His argument is mute He lives outside the US so no warranty, no different if someone in Canada buys a Tunze,. Tunze will not honor the warranty.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 03:31 PM   #33
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Moot .... not mute!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/24/2017, 10:32 PM   #34
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Moot .... not mute!

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 05:34 PM   #35
manilaboy1vic
Registered Member

My 360 just failed yesterday, its been roughly 1.5 - 2 yrs.. i dont have a receipt, i bought it from my local fish store with cash..

stay away from kessil, garbage company.

the older 160s i have are fine for now.. but once those go im screwed...

not sure how a company can charge 400 bucks for lights that last two years.. what a joke.. so many peoples 360s break at 2 yrs.. stay far away from 360s.

manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 05:54 PM   #36
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Meh, haven't had any issues with any of mine .....

Unread 10/11/2017, 06:00 PM   #37
manilaboy1vic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Meh, haven't had any issues with any of mine .....
you just said one of yours blew out. i would say thats an issue..

manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 07:10 PM   #38
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaboy1vic View Post
My 360 just failed yesterday, its been roughly 1.5 - 2 yrs.. i dont have a receipt, i bought it from my local fish store with cash..

not sure how a company can charge 400 bucks for lights that last two years.. what a joke.. so many peoples 360s break at 2 yrs.. stay far away from 360s.
Sorry you had an issue with your light. I’d bet you never blew the lights out did you? You probably have them packed full of dust and as a result, it probably overheated. I’ve had 8 of the 360WE’s over my tank since they were first released years back and they haven’t skipped a beat. I’ve installed several others as well and they too haven’t failed and that is well over 2 years. Your situation certainly doesn’t represent the status quo with these lights and is isntead more of the exception.

Contact your LFS and have them provide you a receipt. If they are about your business, I am sure they could accommodate you. Kessil has a great reputation for quality and support. In fact, had you filled out the warranty registration card like you ARE supposed to, you would be here talking about how great there service is instead of complaining about it.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 10:03 PM   #39
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
you just said one of yours blew out. i would say thats an issue..
It wasn't the 360 that failed, it was the 380 (and Feb isn't 'just said'). Never went back and fixed the post.

Unread 10/12/2017, 07:19 PM   #40
nikon187
Registered Member

5 yrs and counting on 11 kessils running each and every day.

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.

Last edited by nikon187; 10/13/2017 at 06:42 PM.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 10:48 PM   #41
hfp75
Registered Member

Quote:

Ditto.... I’m researching new lights.... for what these lights cost they should run longer..... there’s a weak link in the kessil design. People say, oh kessil is good about sending new ones out, if they die right away....

Ok the fact that these lights are being replaced right always says something....

I need recommendations on my new choice for lighting....

hfp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2019, 05:45 PM   #42
SquareReefer
Registered Member

Reviving this thread only to say I am in the same boat. The blue spectrum on one of my two a160 tuna blues went out back in June. I was honest with Kessil and admitted I bought the lights used locally but was assured they were not very old from the seller. The best they could offer was to sell me a new one at 200ish + shipping. I took that option and today my other a160 is doing the exact same thing. I guess i'll either shell out 200ish to replace it so that I have 2 new lights with some warranty or I'll sell the one I got in June and switch companies.

I ran an AI light for years and it was as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it.

SquareReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2020, 01:31 PM   #43
clownt33
Registered Member

i own a service company and have been using Kessil since day one on multiple tanks and after many many issues with their reliability and customer support i have happily switched to AI lights and will never buy another Kessil..after inspecting numerous failed lights, the issue was always the cheap fan inside along with their exposed wiring that had only a dab of silicone coating to "waterproof" the insides.. the parts would be very easy to replace if they were made available but the only option offered to me was always the same as everyone else.. pay $200 for another light.. i currently have a pile of over a dozen burnt out lights and probably twice that many power supplies.. i do have a few random ones that are still running without issue but overall they seem to have about a 2 year lifespan... the failure rating on all the ones that i have purchased over the years, well over 20 of them, is over 50%... i can live with product issues and great support but they always tried to blame the issue on me ... i have an AI hydra by comparison that has survived full submersion and the folks there offered to fix anything i may have issues with for the cost of the parts.. never again Kessil..

clownt33 is offline   Reply With Quote