Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2016, 11:42 AM   #1
hairalgae85
Registered Member

calling MTC skimmer users

I have an eshoppes 120 skimmer right now on my 180 which I feel is undersized for it. I am debating on which skimmer to get, was considering a deltec, reef octopus...but then it hit me.

From years ago, I have an MTC (marine technical concepts) HSA 250 skimmer at my parents house that we used years ago.

I have up using it years ago, because I couldn't never get it to produce. Looking back, we had always had it teed off from a return pump. I believe we were using a mag 12 or equivalent, but half was going back to tank, the other half to a skimmer.

As I have become more familiar with skimmers, I realize now the beckett needed more water or pressure, which teeing off didn't allow for.

Question is, should I give this skimmer one more attempt with a proper dedicated pump? or is it obsolete compared to the needlewheels out there today.

If I were to try it, which pump shall I use on it.

I was told by an lfs that they were junk, the becketts were a hassle to clean, and I would be better off with something newer.

Thanks

hairalgae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 01:29 PM   #2
aclinville
Registered Member

With any Beckett skimmer you need more pressure. I have an hsa 1000 and use an external panworld ps200. But with the 250 I would try at a minimum may 18

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 01:31 PM   #3
vashawn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinville View Post
With any Beckett skimmer you need more pressure. I have an hsa 1000 and use an external panworld ps200. But with the 250 I would try at a minimum may 18

How do u like the 1000 compares to reef oct.
Im about to get the 1000 this weekend

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 01:32 PM   #4
hairalgae85
Registered Member

are they still a good skimmer tho? with proper pump? the website from mtc says it needs a sen 700. If I were to get a mag 12 or 18, is it worth the 180 bucks for the pump, or should I just put that towards a new skimmer?

In other words, should I use the mtc, or leave it where its been, and look elsewhere?

Unread 08/03/2016, 05:58 PM   #5
jason2459
Registered Member

Becketts are still a great skimmer yes. I would definitely get a pump though that can handle higher head pressure.

I went with the mazzei venturi mvx model and couldn't be happier.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2519839

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 08:52 PM   #6
aclinville
Registered Member

Hsa 1000 is a great skimmer but would choose the mazzei over the Beckett but mine is an older model. Definitely prefer these over any needle wheel skimmer. There is more bombardment time as well as contact time with the taller and more turbulent skimmers.

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 12:58 AM   #7
sean2sean
Registered Member

I second that. need stronger pump... but mazzei injected skimmers tend to run better then any skimmers I have used in the past.

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 07:46 AM   #8
hairalgae85
Registered Member

How much would it cost to make it from a Beckett to a mazei?

Is it worth trying it as is with the Beckett's?

Unread 08/04/2016, 07:48 AM   #9
hairalgae85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinville View Post
Hsa 1000 is a great skimmer but would choose the mazzei over the Beckett but mine is an older model. Definitely prefer these over any needle wheel skimmer. There is more bombardment time as well as contact time with the taller and more turbulent skimmers.
I have the HSA 250...not tall like the 1000. Are the comparable, or do you really have to have the super tall chamber of the 1000?

Unread 10/27/2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Migueap
Registered Member

Mtc HAS-1000

Hi,
Anybody know who sells Beckett injector? Or what happened to the Company who sells Mtc HAS-1000 protein skimmers? Thanks Miguel.....

Migueap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 10:14 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

MTC appear to have closed their doors. Owners were having some health issues. Mazzei injectors are easy to find, but not the beckett. Suggest ebay or used reef gear forums. HSA is easily retrofitted with mazzei.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 11:14 PM   #12
jason2459
Registered Member

Still closed for business? Website is still up. Really sad to see but the writing was on the wall and unfortunate.

Jeff's designs would be worth someone picking them up and taking over. Some place like Avast with DIY kits or Bud and his ATS line up can expand to these skimmers.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote