Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2018, 11:29 AM   #1
mwilliams62
Registered Member

The Green Killing Machince - 24watt UV Sterilizer

Hi out there..... Does anyone have experience with this UV Sterilizer?
The Green Killing Machine?

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and one person does not have it completely submerged and another person has it completely submerged in the water.....

I set mine up like the first person just a little above the water line and when I got up this morning it came off of the glass wall of the aquarium and was in the water.....
So my question is ..... Is it now ruined?

Thanks
Mary

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 11:47 AM   #2
JWClark
Registered Member

They are designed to be fully submerged so should still be good.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 05:32 PM   #3
mwilliams62
Registered Member

The Green Killing Machine - 24watt UV Sterilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
They are designed to be fully submerged so should still be good.
Thank you.

Unread 01/04/2019, 12:45 PM   #4
swhobbie1
Registered Member

I bought the 9W and connected it up last night. The controller outside the tank fell off - doesn’t stick. I wedged it pretty good, fully submerged behind rocks in the tank so was still in place this morning. I bought new live rock, got Dino , whole tank went white and green , could not see a thing in it. I emptied the tank , put all the rock (looked fantastic with purple corraline and no algae or Dino) back in, new boxes ocean water and new tank turned cloudy within 12 hours so bought this UV S. Thing started working almost immediately. Leaving it on for 12 hours a day. Anyone know if this is harmful to leave on all the time ? Or other reasons not to leave it on for some duration frequently? I figured not good seeing how I moved all into a new tank - but sand, water not moved. Did put a couple cups of old sand back in tho, otherwise new tank is BB

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 02:21 PM   #5
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I run my UV 24/7. Cutting back to 12 hours might extend the bulb life.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 02:57 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

25/7 is best for any UV. Turning it off and on daily will also shorten the bulb and ballast life.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 06:43 PM   #7
mwilliams62
Registered Member

I can't get mine to stay upright and attached to the glass with those small suction cups. Got frustrating so I had unplugged mine for now till I find a way to rig it up so it will get it to stay upright. Currently it is in the sump.

Unread 01/04/2019, 06:59 PM   #8
swhobbie1
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Mwilliams63, I put small drop water on the suction cups on the controller outside the tank and it seems to be holding ... for 3 hours (longest to date). The one in the tank has remained attached for 1 half days now but it’s behind rock and at the bottem of an 18” high glass tank running high flow too in this tank . Maybe try to put in area without direct flow or something

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 07:09 PM   #9
mwilliams62
Registered Member

The Green Killing Machine - 24watt UV Sterilzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhobbie1 View Post
Thanks guys!

Mwilliams62, I put small drop water on the suction cups on the controller outside the tank and it seems to be holding ... for 3 hours (longest to date). The one in the tank has remained attached for 1 half days now but it’s behind rock and at the bottem of an 18” high glass tank running high flow too in this tank . Maybe try to put in area without direct flow or something
The area it is in does not have a lot of flow and there are no rocks in the sump chamber that I have it in.

Unread 01/04/2019, 07:13 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams62 View Post
I can't get mine to stay upright and attached to the glass with those small suction cups. Got frustrating so I had unplugged mine for now till I find a way to rig it up so it will get it to stay upright. Currently it is in the sump.
Take the cups off and put them in some boiling water for a few minutes. That will restore them to like new condition. It’s a trick I’ve been using on o-rings for many years and will work great on the suction cups too.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 05:51 AM   #11
JWClark
Registered Member

Slief,

Does it do any harm to leave the bulb on when no water runs through the UV? My UV is fed from the sump so I shut the pump and light off during feed cycles. If I left the light on would it cause and damage for the 10-30 min the pump is off (e.g. excessive heating of sleeve or something).

Looked at one of these but ended up going w/ an aqua UV advantage 15W hang on.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 08:23 AM   #12
mwilliams62
Registered Member

The Green Killing Machine - 24watt UV Sterilzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Take the cups off and put them in some boiling water for a few minutes. That will restore them to like new condition. It’s a trick I’ve been using on o-rings for many years and will work great on the suction cups too.
Thanks I will give it a try