Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2019, 09:38 PM   #1
dingodan87
Registered Member

Porites dying

I have a well established system in which montipora are apparently thriving. I have about 10 different species all growing rapidly. What i cant understand is why all my porites suffer. All my yellow finger porites slowly die and my christmas tree rock that ive owned for 5 years just doesnt look happy. Are there any major differences in ideal parameters between porities and other sps?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

dingodan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2019, 07:18 AM   #2
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Do you have any potential coral nippers? I have a few angelfish and although I have a tank full of acropora and montipora with no issues, porites will be eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2019, 09:15 AM   #3
dingodan87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Do you have any potential coral nippers? I have a few angelfish and although I have a tank full of acropora and montipora with no issues, porites will be eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats interesting. I dont think i do... Yellow tang, tomato clown, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, barnacle blenny..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

dingodan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 05:26 PM   #4
87 Chevy Truck
Registered Member

I didn't have any Porites corals in my mostly SPS tank , I have a bunch of Favias and Chalices in the tank doing just fine though ,, I bought one from a vendor ,, pretty much started losing it after a few weeks ,, I hid it ,, its getting no direct light ,, it has come back as good as it was when I got it from the vendor ,,

87 Chevy Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 07:20 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I never had serious troubles with the encrusting Porites (the kind that is associated with the Christmas tree feather duster worms) - they even came back from the dead after a tank crash and the thought dead "rock" thrown in a live rock storage bin for a few months. But the yellow branching Porites never did well for me. No idea why.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote